PDA

View Full Version : Handlebar clearcoat peeling

jgspin
04-07-2011, 11:19 PM
I have an ec90 carbon handlebar and the clearcoat is peeling where the stem is attached to; probably from twisting it to adjust the angle. I wetsanded it a bit by hand with 400 grit wet/dry sandpaper then brushed clear nail polish over the sanded part. Is that ok or will the nail polish harm the carbon?

Louis
04-07-2011, 11:40 PM
Epoxy paint might have been better, but I wouldn't worry about it either way.

godfrey1112000
04-08-2011, 05:21 AM
same problem on HC 265 for me, chalked it up to 5-6 years of use, still ok but looks nasty, compared to the Edge/Envie on HC 295,

If they are less than three years from purchase, call Easton/Bell/Giro/Blackburn Customer Svc. they are excellent in solving problems, you will probably get a new set of HB's

tuscanyswe
04-08-2011, 06:20 AM
Really? Gettin a new handlebar for pealing of clearcoat at the stem clamp area after a few years of use? Isent that abit like asking for new tires if the thread is worn down from riding? Maybe its just me but i deffinetly dont expect that area to be prestine after years of use.

I touched up some clearcoat with nailpolish at the clamp once. Worked good.

godfrey1112000
04-08-2011, 07:57 AM
Really? Gettin a new handlebar for pealing of clearcoat at the stem clamp area after a few years of use? Isent that abit like asking for new tires if the thread is worn down from riding? Maybe its just me but i deffinetly dont expect that area to be prestine after years of use.

I touched up some clearcoat with nailpolish at the clamp once. Worked good.

maybe but if the clear coat does not hold up during the warrenty period it might be worth a call, not to take advantage but to advise the manufacture of an issue in production, if it happens more than they think and are told about it it may result in a minor change in the production process which might stop the problem