PDA

View Full Version : Touring advice needed, Lander to Rawlins WY

sam.g
04-07-2011, 12:30 PM
I'd like to solicate some advice as to indoor lodging between Lander WY and Rawlins WY. We're riding a partially self contained "credit card" tour on ACA's Trans America Trail from Missoula to Frisco CO this summer and are stuck finding accomodations other than camping between Lander and Rawlins.

We're not planning to carry sleeping bags or tents so we really need to find lodging along this 129 mile stretch. Were the mileage a little shorter say 100 miles or less, we'd just ride it, but with several thousand feet of climbing, head winds and 20#'s of stuff, I'd like to break it into two days.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Sam in Cincy

fireball
04-07-2011, 12:43 PM
Even for someone who grew up in Cheyenne all I can say there's nothing out there. Keep pedalling is my advice. It could be a very long day if the wind is doing it typical thing but there really aren't any options besides camping. It's an incredibly beautiful area but totally empty (that, in part, is what makes it so great).

About halfway, however, is Jeffrey City. It's essentially a ghost town where you could probably find a "cheap" place to stay but I wouldn't try it. Regardless, I'm jealous of your trip.

choke
04-07-2011, 01:09 PM
Fireball hit the nail on the head....there is nothing in between other than Jeffrey City and Muddy Gap (which has a gas station). There's no accommodation at either place.

buldogge
04-07-2011, 01:10 PM
Lightweight bedroll and tarp in case you can't make the mileage...

-Mark in St. Louis

Bradford
04-07-2011, 02:26 PM
I did Missoula to Steamboat in '96. The ride from Missoula to Duboise is fantastic. The ride from Duboise to Walden is pretty grim, then it gets good again.

Can't really help you on the question you actually asked since I camped, but I think you may be SOL. It's been a while, but I don't remember much out there. If I remember correctly, I did Lander to Muddy Gap on one day and Muddy Gap to Saratoga on the second. I was going to stay in Rawlins, but it was too much of a city and I didn't feel like walking around a city. I just kept going to Saratoga, which was nice.

Not only did I camp in Muddy Gap, I camped at a junkyard. The folks who own it invite cyclist to camp on their lawn...they even have a bathroom built for cyclists. If I remember correctly, not ony is there no hotel, but there is nothing much at all in Muddy Gap. I had to go to my back up food just to eat dinner since there was no place to buy food there.