PDA

View Full Version : You know you are a cyclist when:

d_man16
04-07-2011, 10:27 AM
your bikes are worth more than your car
you can ask anybody got some lube with a straight face
your right shoe lace is shorter than your left
You accidentally try to twist your foot to “unclip” from the gas pedal before getting out of your car.

firerescuefin
04-07-2011, 10:31 AM
I know Rugby will wince....but when you get to share the leg shaving experience with your wife in the shower. My wife hates it by the way....especially when I use her razor.

biker72
04-07-2011, 10:38 AM
You have shared a hotel room with your bike.
Guilty as charged... :D
You do all your local errands on a bike.

jblande
04-07-2011, 10:40 AM
you get up every day at 5am, so you can get your ride in before work.
:beer:

thegunner
04-07-2011, 10:43 AM
You have shared a hotel room with your bike.
Guilty as charged... :D

try with 3 other dudes and their bikes too.

zap
04-07-2011, 10:45 AM
.......you ride with speed and grace.

Keith A
04-07-2011, 10:46 AM
Several years ago I was out cruising the neighborhood with my youngest daughter who was an early teen at the time and she asked me "Dad, do you ever stop pedaling?" :)

firerescuefin
04-07-2011, 10:48 AM
When my wife talks about spending large(r) sums of money. I answer..."that's a lot of bike parts."....usually with a frown on my face.

biker72
04-07-2011, 10:51 AM
You know all the shortcuts in town.

William
04-07-2011, 10:55 AM
When your wife comments...."You know, you used to look at me like that."

;) :)

William

climbgdh
04-07-2011, 10:58 AM
fixed it for you......

each one of your 4 bikes are worth more than your car.

Louis
04-07-2011, 11:10 AM
My response to a similar thread a while back:

When you have funky tan lines on your hands.

Aaron O
04-07-2011, 11:16 AM
you are regularly and vocally wishing for higher gas taxes/prices.

you have slide scales and you're not a drug dealer. (I don't do this one)

you ask things like "Michelin makes tires for cars???"

spring cleaning means overhauling your bike.

you don't think a fire road has anything to do with a fire station.

you hear your wife scream "don't put those in the dishwasher!!!"

BillG
04-07-2011, 11:27 AM
When you write "Stop posting on the internet and go for a ride!"

fiamme red
04-07-2011, 11:28 AM
When you have one pair of dress shoes that are falling apart, and six pairs of cycling shoes in great condition.

pjm
04-07-2011, 11:39 AM
.......you ride with speed and grace.
Well, maybe grace....

alexstar
04-07-2011, 12:40 PM
...you're driving up a hill in your convertible and you try to stand up.

LegendRider
04-07-2011, 12:42 PM
You park your cars in the driveway so the garage space can be used for bikes...

19wisconsin64
04-07-2011, 01:33 PM
...you are in a car and your first thought is either "wow, this is a great road to bike on!" or "wow, this would be a terrible road to bike on!"

leooooo
04-07-2011, 01:33 PM
you ask things like "Michelin makes tires for cars???"

HAHA, I totally remember being amazed that Michelin made tires for bikes when I first started cycling!

Keith A
04-07-2011, 01:37 PM
You know all the shortcuts in town.This is so true...along with knowing all the safe and smooth roads too.

scooter01
04-07-2011, 01:42 PM
YOU KNOW YOU'RE A CYCLIST WHEN...

You use your helmet as a hair-styling device.

You think nothing of walking into public places dressed in tights like a super hero.

You can give instantaneous directions to any corner in the city, but only for those using bike paths and public transportation.

Multi-ton cars and trucks are tearing along in front, alongside and coming up behind you... your pulse rate: 66.

All of your pants have frayed cuffs and chain-grease marks.

You keep deodorant and baby wipes at the office.

You are polite to most everyone, you blush at some rap songs, but you swear like a drunken sailor when a grandma in an SUV cuts you off.

You've been asked if you're a tap dancer.

Although you speak only English, you're perfectly capable of pronouncing several words in Italian.

The friend who was so happy to see you on his morning drive wonders why you gave him the finger when he honked.

When someone asks for advice on buying a bike, you either:
a) ask, "How many thousands do you want to spend?"
b) assail them with so many questions about intended use, riding style and the like, not to mention such personal questions as pubic bone height, that you make buying a bicycle sound like rocket science and unintentionally put them off the idea.

When that same person reacts by saying, "It's only a bicycle," your jaw drops and your eyes bug out, and you're only half kidding.

When you encounter rough pavement, you say to yourself, "Ah, pave," and daydream about leaving the peloton in your dust as you speed through Arenberg Forest.

A car goes by with two (your preferred gender here) carrying two bikes. Later, you can't recall their hair color or what make car, but you can ID the bikes' make, model and color.

You have 3 bikes and you absolutely need more.

You sometimes wish you had a longer commute to work, just so you could ride more.

You ride 50 miles, one way, with a twenty in your pocket and if you actually buy something, you consider leaving the change because of the weight.

You select a restaurant because of its charming, outdoor dining. Your bike is 23 inches away. You lock it anyway. But you can't enjoy your meal because you can't take your eyes off your bike.

You consider the color of the bikes hanging from your ceiling when selecting home decor.

You missed more than two family events this summer due to scheduling conflicts with club rides.

You and your friends can recreate the "Jaws" scene where Quint, Brody, and Hooper compare scars, each with an even better story behind it, except yours go something like "This is from a 1990 Buick station wagon that turned left in front of me and put me over the hood."

Another cyclist asks you for the location of the nearest bike shop; you fix their bike on the spot.

You shop for your spring wardrobe at our store, rather than malls and clothing stores.

Your idea of surfing consists of drafting buses, minivans, and SUVs to keep up with the green wave.

You practice track stands and bunny hops in your spare time.

When actually driving, you stop at a red light and since no pedestrians are in the crosswalk you start to drive right through before you realize you are NOT on a bike, and slam on the brakes.

Similarly, when driving on the highway at 60 mph, you freak out at a 1-inch-wide groove in the pavement. What if your tires get stuck?

You know the location of all the major potholes between your home and office.

You can't think of the last time you saw any of your friends who don't bike.

scooter01
04-07-2011, 01:43 PM
this one must be william's:

You and your friends can recreate the "Jaws" scene where Quint, Brody, and Hooper compare scars, each with an even better story behind it, except yours go something like "This is from a 1990 Buick station wagon that turned left in front of me and put me over the hood."

Fixed
04-07-2011, 01:43 PM
you ride your bike when you wake up in the morning
and ride before you go to sleep
and dream of riding your bike while sleeping
cheers

scooter01
04-07-2011, 01:44 PM
a few more as I avoid the work here:

You might be a cyclist if....
1. You tell a family of 5 in a crowded mall to "hold their line."
2. Your spouse says "If you buy another bike I'm going to leave you" and you think "I guess I'm going to miss him/her."
3. You have more water bottles than you have drinking glasses.
4. You have more cycling jerseys than work shirts.
5. Your cycling jersey IS your work shirt.
6. Your legs are smoother than your wifes.
7. The nicest pair of shoes you own have cleats in the soles.
8. You have defined the 8 stages of roadkill decomposition through daily observation.
9. You are walking along a street and you signal left.
10.You go to your local store on a bike.
11.You sulk when in cars, on hot days.
12.You sulk when in cars, on cold, windy, snowy days.
13.You get withdrawal symptoms if off the bike for more than a day.
14.When anybody mentions distance you immediately think of how long it would take to cycle it.
15.You point at pot holes, but you are driving in your car alone.
16.While driving your car you yell at your passenger "Car back" as a vehicle approaches from behind.
17.Your bike is worth more than your car.
18.You put more miles on your bike than your car.
19.Your hands have a strange tan that looks remarkably similar to the pattern on your cycling gloves.
20.Weather forecasts can be broken down into 2 categories: good biking weather, bad biking weather.
21.You put your bicycle in your car, and the value of the total package increases by a factor of 4 (or better).
22.You find out you are going to have a child and the first thing you think about is how you will schedule your rides to avoid divorce and still be a parent.
23.You spend 2X the money on cycling wear that you do work clothes.
24. You can tell your wife with a straight face that it's too hot to mow the lawn, then bike off for a century.
25.You dream of winning the lottery and the first thing you think of is how many/which bikes can I buy?
26.You buy a car based on whether or not a bike will fit in the trunk/back, with the rear seat folded down.
27.You open your car window and yell out "On your left" when passing cars on the freeway.
28.You have not one, not two, but three permanent chain ring scars on your right calf.
29.Your bike sleeps with you in the living or bedroom.
30.You wear a heart rate monitor during sex.
31.You check out all other guys/girls legs to see if they are better than yours.
32.Your spouse can't take it anymore and takes up cycling.
33.You wonder why a $500 bike has 24 gear ratios, while a $20,000 car or truck only has 4.
34.You crash...and insist on getting to the bike shop to have your bike checked out BEFORE going to the hospital.
35.You can't seem to get to work before 8:30am, but you don't have a problem meeting your buddies at 5:30am for a ride.

leooooo
04-07-2011, 01:50 PM
34.You crash...and insist on getting to the bike shop to have your bike checked out BEFORE going to the hospital.

Of course!
The bike isn't gonna actively heal itself is it??? :p

bambam
04-07-2011, 02:11 PM
you rotate the bikes you keep in your bedroom.

rugbysecondrow
04-07-2011, 02:44 PM
I know Rugby will wince....but when you get to share the leg shaving experience with your wife in the shower. My wife hates it by the way....especially when I use her razor.

Fixed this for you...I am a supporter of this by the way. :banana:

"when you get to share the shaving experience with your wife in the shower"

tuscanyswe
04-07-2011, 03:02 PM
When i ride alot i feel weird not wearing bibs, like theres some gear loose!

roydyates
04-07-2011, 04:26 PM
If you're walking or running in a group and you make hand signals to point out potholes and sticks in the path.

dd74
04-07-2011, 07:28 PM
When Campy wheels on anything but bikes makes no sense...
http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/attachments/alfa-romeo-parts-sale-wanted/124711d1229023177-wheels-campagnolo-millerighe-4x108-5-5jx14-2000.jpg

soulspinner
04-07-2011, 08:04 PM
You outsprint that nasty dog thats faster than it looks................

drewski
04-07-2011, 08:12 PM
When you go in a bike shop and your kid who is 8 years old
says she will only look at steel kids bikes.

My wife and I are in the iron in the iron and steel business.
My wife irons and I ride steel.

rounder
04-07-2011, 08:15 PM
When you are driving your car on the same roads you bike on, and realize that you are taking the same line around curves in your car that you would on your bike (within your lane of course).

Bob Loblaw
04-07-2011, 08:31 PM
You wonder what non-cyclists do with all their free time

Frankwurst
04-08-2011, 07:51 AM
You don't drink light beer because you want the extra carbs in a full bodied stout or porter. :beer:

snah
04-08-2011, 08:09 AM
When you listen to the weather forecast calling for rain/thunderstorms, opt not to ride to work and are pissed when the sun comes out. :crap:

Keith A
04-08-2011, 08:14 AM
When you listen to the weather forecast calling for rain/thunderstorms, opt not to ride to work and are pissed when the sun comes out. :crap:+1

Mr. Squirrel
04-08-2011, 08:41 AM
when you are afraid and try to ride away from squirrels. :p

mr. squirrel

Keith A
04-08-2011, 09:17 AM
when you are afraid and try to ride away from squirrels. :p

mr. squirrelShouldn't we all be scared...

http://grammarpolice.net/images/king_squirrel.jpg