PDA

View Full Version : Ford Transit:anyone Have One Of These Yet?

alancw3
04-06-2011, 12:06 PM
just came back from the local ford dealer after test driving the transit xlt passenger version. had no problem with the ride although it is somewhat loud mechanically. what i was somewhat dissappointed in was the inside rear room to carry bikes w/o having to take front wheel off. it is relatively short. also has an antenna mounted on front that i am not sure will fit in my garage. height is 79.3 inches at roofline. was wondering if anyone had one and fits it in a standard height garage or has anything else to add.

thanks for any input.

swt
04-06-2011, 12:15 PM
I'm wondering what this gives me vs. my odyssey, other than it being a Ford vs Honda.

victoryfactory
04-06-2011, 12:32 PM
No comparison, I think
The Odyssey is a classic minivan
the Transit is a Euro style delivery van type take off that
you would see delivering cheese in Paris

ultraman6970
04-06-2011, 12:36 PM
Mercedez

alancw3
04-06-2011, 02:09 PM
I'm wondering what this gives me vs. my odyssey, other than it being a Ford vs Honda.

sort of like comparing a deluxe honda crv to an element. the transit is funky in a neat sort of way imho. just wondering if anyone has any real experience owning and driving. the local dealer wants to sell me one at invoice minus $500 ford instand rebate. i don't think they sell many of the passenger version the xlt premium.

swt
04-06-2011, 02:15 PM
sort of like comparing a deluxe honda crv to an element. the transit is funky in a neat sort of way imho. just wondering if anyone has any real experience owning and driving. the local dealer wants to sell me one at invoice minus $500 ford instand rebate. i don't think they sell many of the passenger version the xlt premium.
From my point of view they're pretty similar. They seat about the same with the backs folded down in the odyssey. I think the odyssey gets better gas mileage, and probably rides a lot better. I guess the transit is quite a bit cheaper.

RPS
04-06-2011, 02:37 PM
Compared to Transit Connect, the Odyssey is almost two feet longer, making it long enough to put a sheet of plywood on the floor. The Transit Connect is way too short for that.

The Odyssey is also wider and lower, and has far more power – hence would be expected to drive like a sports car by comparison to the TC. The TC is taller inside but from a bike-carrying standpoint I don’t see how that helps much since the Odyssey can handle most bikes standing with ease.

IMO the Odyssey is primarily designed for people; the Transit Connect for light-weight cargo.

Lifelover
04-06-2011, 03:10 PM
just came back from the local ford dealer after test driving the transit xlt passenger version. had no problem with the ride although it is somewhat loud mechanically. what i was somewhat dissappointed in was the inside rear room to carry bikes w/o having to take front wheel off. it is relatively short. also has an antenna mounted on front that i am not sure will fit in my garage. height is 79.3 inches at roofline. was wondering if anyone had one and fits it in a standard height garage or has anything else to add.

thanks for any input.

I was very interested in them when they first came out. However, I came away not seeing any real advantage of one over a standard Mini-van.

From a commercial application they could offer many advantages but for everyday family use I think it maybe the wrong tool.

ultraman6970
04-06-2011, 03:12 PM
U can walk in those mercedez vans, they are narrower but a lot longer than a regular mini van. Engine usually is diesel, thats a good thing because the engine has more power and probably will last forever.

04-06-2011, 03:59 PM
I've driven a Transit long-distance to several races and packed it numerous times with bike equipment. I thought I'd like it more, but here are the issues:

1. Noisy, gets beaten around by crosswinds a lot, vague steering, generally rough ride.
2. Not the right space inside for bikes -- it's a problem rolling bikes in without removing at least a front wheel (and if you have fenders on, you still have trouble getting it in without laying it flat with both wheels off). You can mount a great bike rack on top and it's ideal for that, but for internal storage it's a bit lacking.

I've owned two Odysseys and drive one currently (the newest version). The plus is that you can roll bikes in with both wheels on, you can roll lots of bikes inside plus wheels, rollers, whatever. If you take one seat out you can fit 4-5 bikes easily plus complete race gear and spare wheels plus two passengers (three people total). With all the seats in you can still seat four with 4 bikes in back if you take a front wheel off and pack them against each other.

The drawbacks of the Odyssey are that it's big and has a fat ass (fits parking places like a Ford Superduty). A bit noisy and feels the road more than I like. Interesting cubbyhole storage but not a lot of big bins and such so you have to have storage containers that slide around. Front passenger seat is tight for people with long legs, and with the seat pushed all the way back, the back seat becomes tight for long legs. I can pack almost as much in a Honda Element and have a much smaller vehicle for parking (and a bit more of a fun ride, if one can say that about any Honda).

Look at the Dodge Sprinter. It's actually a Mercedes Sprinter and is a leftover from when Daimler briefly owned Chrysler. It's bulletproof, comes in countless variations in roof height, length, windows, etc. You can get a diesel if that matters to you. It's bigger than the Transit but is basically what the Transit was designed to imitate. The Transit is good for small deliveries; the Sprinter is what the real contractors and merchants use in Europe.

As far as roof height, you can go as high as 6' safely and get into airport parking, underground garages, etc. Most places accommodate 6'4", which gets a Ford SuperDuty 350 into the garage and out again. But if you get a 7' roofline or anything close to it, you'll be parking out on the street a lot. The 7' roof height version of the Sprinter is wonderful for bikes -- you can hang wheels overhead and can almost stand upright in the truck (which is what the height was intended for), but it's definitely hard to park.

What the Sprinter and Transit have that the Odyssey doesn't is that the Odyssey comes with full plastic and upholstery in back. With the Sprinter in particular, you can get it customized so many ways that you can have wheel hooks, bike clamping racks, tool boxes on the sides, your choice of how many windows or none, you name it. And it's designed to add your own customizing features ad nauseum. Look at websites for companies who make commercial van interiors to get an idea of what you can mount in a Sprinter or Transit. I'd go for the Sprinter in the 7' version in a heartbeat if you can handle the roof height. You get Mercedes construction quality and a Mercedes diesel, plus great space. Get it with front seats and one bench seat behind them, and then have the rear unfinished and prepped only for rack installation. Perfect bike van.

Ken Robb
04-06-2011, 04:08 PM
I think you have to measure your own garage. If you have a one-piece door that rises and pivots back until it's horizontal you can gain about 8" of clearance exchanging that style for a roll-up door.

christian
04-06-2011, 04:31 PM
I like a thread that asks about a $20k Ford Transit Connect (NOT Transit) and someone recommends a Sprinter van.

Next thread:
"Hi, I'd like a 14' jon boat with a tiller steer outboard."
"Nah dude, I reco:"
https://www.trustedpartner.com/images/library/000204/Gallery/601_shaw_running_CAT_CAY_044_6xgdan1e6yu066h/nc_featured_601_shaw_running_CAT_CAY_044.jpg

velotel
04-06-2011, 04:40 PM
The Transit is good for small deliveries; the Sprinter is what the real contractors and merchants use in Europe.

Apparently you've not spent much time in Europe. Transits are all over the place, probably the most common small work truck here in France at least.

I've had my Tourneo Connect (that's the passenger version over here) since 05 and as far as I'm concerned it's a good one. Before I had a Renault Kangoo and the Ford is in many respects better. But from what I understand, you guys can only buy them with an auto box and a gas engine. That version I wouldn't touch. Mine is a turbo-diesel that gets excellent mileage, has lots of hauling power, super reliable.

Can't understand all the fuss about having to take the front wheel off. I have regularly carried three bikes inside (front wheels off) lined up across the car in the luggage space with two passengers and our gear. I believe one of the advantages of quick releases on the wheels is to enable removing the wheel easily.

In sum, after almost 6 years of heavy use, I can highly recommend the Ford but not as they're setting them up for you. Probably the Mercedes van would be a wiser choice since you can get it with a diesel. Apparently they're okay, nothing more than that. That comment is based on the fact that contrary to what the poster I quoted said, the Mercedes vans aren't all that common, vastly outsold by Ford, Renault, Peugeot/Citroen, and Fiat.

alancw3
04-06-2011, 06:26 PM
thanks guys for all the great input. after going back to the ford dealer again i guess i decided to pass on the transit. for me the deal breaker is how short the cargo area is. i currently have a dodge grand caravan which has a cargo area a good foot longer. i will look at the sprinter but i don't think it will fit in my garage unless they have now have a version that has a lower roofline.

1happygirl
04-06-2011, 08:30 PM
Hahah. yep my old fold flat seating Chrysler/Dodge Van that I had 'cuz I couldn't afford the Sprinter with Mercedes drivetrain.

I recently (last yr) looked at the Ford but until they get more like a van -(plush, insulated better, less noise, some frills) it's a no go for me. Turning radius (important to me) seemed too big for a small van that size.

Keep with a regular van if you are gonna use to go to races, as a hauler (2x4s & plywood fit nicely in a Chrysler or Dodge with fold flat seating), pull over side of the road sleeper.

Coming from1happysmallgirl even who loves the size and looks of the Ford, but it's just not there yet.

Even the mph sux so far. If I'm gonna fill up, at least let me be comfy to the gas mugging.

SEABREEZE
04-06-2011, 09:43 PM
I beleive Serotta uses one to transport there demo fleet.

Maybe someone from Serotta will shine in

goonster
04-07-2011, 09:13 AM
USDM Ford Transit Connect (subject of OP, built on a passenger car platform):
http://www.theautochannel.com/news/2010/02/21/466585.1-lg.jpg

Ford Transit cargo van (competitor of the Sprinter, not available in the U.S., older version shown):
http://www.cars-directory.net/pics/ford/transit/1989/ford_transit_2301586_orig.jpg

I would love a Sprinter, but can't afford one. Aside from the high cost new (much higher than comparable Ford/GM/Chrylser cargo vans), they hold their value very well in the used market, due to high popularity in commercial applications.

goonster
04-07-2011, 09:22 AM
2. Not the right space inside for bikes -- it's a problem rolling bikes in without removing at least a front wheel (and if you have fenders on, you still have trouble getting it in without laying it flat with both wheels off).

Thanks for the thorough review.

The issue above applies with the rear seats installed, yes? If the rear seats are removed there should be sufficient room to roll bikes in, correct?

Also: what kind of fuel economy did you observe in long-distance highway driving in the loaded-up Transit Connect? How does it compare to the Odyssey?

RPS
04-07-2011, 09:52 AM
Ford Transit cargo van (competitor of the Sprinter, not available in the U.S., older version shown):
http://www.cars-directory.net/pics/ford/transit/1989/ford_transit_2301586_orig.jpg

I would love a Sprinter, but can't afford one. Aside from the high cost new (much higher than comparable Ford/GM/Chrylser cargo vans), they hold their value very well in the used market, due to high popularity in commercial applications.
Ford has announced they plan to make the Transit available in the US when the next redesign takes place and can therefore meet all US requirements. There has been some speculation that it will replace the ancient E-Series vans although other reports disagree because the E-Series is based on a much heavier-duty truck chassis and can tow much heavier loads. Personally I don’t see Ford having two separate full-size van bodies at same time; particularly since in Europe the Transit is made in both FWD and RWD versions to meet different payload needs.

Picture below is of the current Transit manufactured and sold in Mexico (light-duty FWD only). It has a 2.2-Liter diesel and 6-speed manual. I’d trade my E-350 for a long-length and mid-level roof version which could make a great fuel-efficient micro camper. It’s not like I need a 305 HP V-10 to haul a couple of 20-pound bikes around.

http://www.ford.com.mx/camiones/transit/compara/

Ralph
04-07-2011, 12:18 PM
I don't see how you can compare a Ford TC to a nice Odyssey. The Ford is made simple, practical, rugged, cheap, economical, and reliable, for work people. The Odyssey (especially in hi end versions) is very roomy, nice and comfortable.....for about 50% more dollars. Just apples and oranges.

I have an Element I use to haul bikes and go to HD, stuff like like. I love it....cause it was cheap to buy and cheap to maintain. But it is what is is....an inexpensive simple hauler....an activity vehicle. Not much good as a family hauler plus stuff. My wife's larger sedan dives so much nicer for long trips. As an example....I don't compare my utilitarian Element to a much nicer more expensive minivan....and I also think the Chrysler/Dodge minivans have closed the gap with Odyssey....since Fiat took over. 2011 Chrysler/Dodge minivans nothing like older ones. Odyssey nice also, but now has serious competition from new Nissan Quest and Toyota Sienna as well as the Chrysler twins. It's hard to beat a nice modern minivan for comfort with gadgets if you drive far with your stuff. They drive nice (in a straight line anyway). Most full size minivans fit in regular garage....they're about 200 inches long.

04-07-2011, 01:25 PM
I don't see how you can compare a Ford TC to a nice Odyssey. The Ford is made cheap, economical, and reliable, for work people. The Odyssey is nice and comfortable.....for about 50% more dollars. Just apples and oranges.

I have an Element I use to haul bikes and go to HD, stuff like like. I love it....cause it was cheap to buy and cheap to maintain. But it is what is is....an inexpensive simple hauler....an activity vehicle. Not much good as a family hauler plus stuff. As an example....I don't compare my utilitarian Element to a much nicer more expensive minivan....and I also think the Chrysler/Dodge minivans have closed the gap with Odyssey....since Fiat took over. 2011 Chrysler/Dodge minivans nothing like older ones. Odyssey nice also, but now has serious competition from new Nissan Quest and Toyota Sienna as well as the Chrysler twins. It's hard to beat a nice modern minivan if you drive far with your stuff. They drive nice.

I think the apples to oranges comparison is at the heart of the OP's question. The various vehicles mentioned here simply aren't comparable, in price, capacity, ride, etc.

I had owned two Odysseys, been irritated enough at small issues to look at other vehicles, but still kept buying them because they were the best. Bought a new one for the same reason. The Sienna is nice but rather plusher, steering is a bit vague, and doesn't quite have the pickup of the Odyssey. It also has a rear that, with the back row of seats down, isn't as flat as the Odyssey (and I think the lift-in height is a bit higher too). I looked at a Toyota Tundra and almost pulled the trigger on it, so I have no problem with Toyotas per se, but I already have a Ford Super Duty (hence no aversion to Fords or other American brands) and didn't need another truck.

The problem with this thread is that the OP simply asked about the Transit. My response was a direct "I've driven them and used them for hauling bikes and find them a bit lacking compared to other alternatives". I'd rather use an Element than a Transit for hauling bikes -- it's easy to clean up, more versatile, better sound system, nice 4WD system if you need one, and high enough that you can use it on back roads and in the fields we sometimes have to park in at races. (Heck, at some of the best tracks in the country, like Alpenrose, the best parking calls for a compact high-clearance 4WD.)

I'm getting pretty tired of an Odyssey and definitely would like a change. For hauling bikes (which is the primary duty, about 30K miles a year), neither the Transit nor the Sienna nor the American minivans was an improvement. I'm almost at the point of a canopy on my Super Duty, at which point I can of course carry five more riders and all their bikes so despite the mileage it really becomes more economical. There's still a quality dip in my opinion from the Odyssey to the American minivans and the Transit, and simply a less-desirable alternative ride and performance in the Sienna. The Sprinter, if you want a vehicle that you buy first and foremost as a bike van, is pretty good. It certainly holds its resale amazingly well and because so many are in commercial use, you can get color graphic films for it very inexpensively -- did you want your team name and sponsors emblazoned all over the sides and back of your vehicle just like a pro team, but be able to pull it all off a year later?

On the Transit, with the second row of seats I couldn't roll bikes in properly. I also had a problem with overhead clearance for larger bikes. But because the van is so much narrower, you basically can lean one bike against each side, and at most tuck one more in the middle with wheelbags and duffels in between. In the Odyssey I can do this with 4 bikes, or squeeze in 5. With a Sprinter, I can have two rows of seats plus carry 7 or 8 bikes inside, half with bars forward and half with bars backwards, and still get them out easily. Remember if four riders go to a stage race, you potentially have eight bikes. Go to a multi-day track race and you'd really like a road bike along as well, so you're again talking up to eight bikes. For a track training camp or equivalent the eight bikes is critical. That's what kills those smaller vehicles.

BumbleBeeDave
04-07-2011, 01:40 PM
I beleive Serotta uses one to transport there demo fleet.

Maybe someone from Serotta will shine in

http://www.pezcyclingnews.com/?pg=fullstory&id=7718

:beer:

BBD

RedRider
04-09-2011, 06:08 PM
Yes, Serotta had the Ford Transit as a Mobile Fit Lab. Built with an internal platform and racking system we were able to fit 5 bikes fork mounted inside plus a fair amount of gear. With rack removed the full size cycle, tool cabinet and a fair amount of supplies. It drives like a car and gets great mpg. It could use larger side mirrors and do get clear windows in the back or you will have a huge blind spot.
The big plus is it's not a van. It's actually lover than many SUVs. It gives you many customizing options.
We loved it unfortunately a drunk driver didn't see it when it was parked on the street.

RPS
04-09-2011, 07:48 PM
We loved it unfortunately a drunk driver didn't see it when it was parked on the street.
Did you guys love it enough to get another one just like it? Or was it replaced with something different, if at all?

dmurphey
04-09-2011, 07:52 PM
The Honda Odessey is the best compromise for transporting bikes and humans and being useful at other times. It is a bit geeky to drive, but less so than these other choices.

RedRider
04-09-2011, 08:59 PM
Did you guys love it enough to get another one just like it? Or was it replaced with something different, if at all?

We haven't replaced it yet...but another one is certainly being considered.