PDA

View Full Version : White Woolie T-Shirts??

seatown7
04-06-2011, 03:51 AM
Alright...you guys got me addicted to wool jerseys from Ibex and now I'm looking for t-shirts to wear under other stuff...but Ibex doesn't make a white one...didn't see one by Icebreaker either.

Anyone have a good experience with a white, somewhat lightweight wool under shirt?

Thanks!

sw3759
04-06-2011, 03:58 AM
the rapha wool under shirts are super comfy and seem to wear very well but i do hand wash them.they are not really white but a very light cream color.i bought one and later bought a 3 pack bundle which was a decent deal.

JeremyS
04-06-2011, 12:17 PM
In 2 to 3 months I'll have something to solve your problem...

I'm in the middle of starting a softgoods company, and one of our first products to roll is going to be plain white Ts in 100% 18micron merino.

Where we're deviating from the pack is the colors we have access to. Sitting right in front of me is a fully white swatch of the merino jersey knit we're using.

It's very hard to execute in an environmentally friendly fashion, which is why it hasn't been seen yet.

I'm not sure on pricing yet, I'm thinking around $65 or so per shirt, and maybe a 3 pack discount.

We also have baselayers in a 1x1 rib planned, which are very different than a t-shirt.

Actually, I should point out that the Rapha baselayers should not be used as t-shirts by themselves, as the 1x1 rib knit is not sturdy enough to deal with the outside world. Not Rapha's fault, it's the right material for the application.

DRZRM
04-06-2011, 12:20 PM
Competitive Cyclist just did their email sale blast with the Rapha short sleeved base T-shirt for $45 (down from $80) and they have a full size run in creme and black. However, the link is not actually working (it goes to full price) so you have to call them and they will manually adjust the price. I figure they won't last long, but after I grabbed a few, I thought I'd reply here.

93legendti
04-06-2011, 01:03 PM
Alright...you guys got me addicted to wool jerseys from Ibex and now I'm looking for t-shirts to wear under other stuff...but Ibex doesn't make a white one...didn't see one by Icebreaker either.

Anyone have a good experience with a white, somewhat lightweight wool under shirt?

Thanks!
I have an Ibex cream base layer and several Woolistic ribbed base layers. For some reason they all yellowed with age and washing. These are 4-5 yrs old. I too am looking for white merino (or bamboo) T's-I just hope they don't yellow as well.

swithouski
04-06-2011, 01:05 PM
@JeremyS - Very excited. Make sure to let us know as soon as they are available. I bet they don't last long. :beer:

crownjewelwl
04-06-2011, 01:32 PM
Competitive Cyclist just did their email sale blast with the Rapha short sleeved base T-shirt for $45 (down from $80) and they have a full size run in creme and black. However, the link is not actually working (it goes to full price) so you have to call them and they will manually adjust the price. I figure they won't last long, but after I grabbed a few, I thought I'd reply here.

i thot i was imagining things on the e-blast and didnt bother until i read your post...thx for heads up!

rnhood
04-06-2011, 01:45 PM
Hincappie makes a nice one. Really nice actually. The long sleeve version is $75 but, its a really nice lightweight baselayer. Short sleeve at $65. Absolutely no itch or scratch. I am not as fond of their bibs but, their merino baselayers are top notch.

http://www.hincapie.com/products/menswear/base_layers/?product=30190M&type=1#

jt2gt
04-06-2011, 01:57 PM
Hincappie makes a nice one. Really nice actually. The long sleeve version is $75 but, its a really nice lightweight baselayer. Short sleeve at $65. Absolutely no itch or scratch. I am not as fond of their bibs but, their merino baselayers are top notch.

I agree on the Hincapie...as good if not better than Rapha. There were a bunch on ebay for cheap and you can still find them on sale here and there. I picked up a black LS and it's one of my favorites (no itch and everything seems to itch me).

jt

JeremyS
04-06-2011, 05:16 PM
@JeremyS - Very excited. Make sure to let us know as soon as they are available. I bet they don't last long. :beer:

You're local to us, so you'll certainly be hearing about the line when it drops.

seatown7
04-07-2011, 01:36 AM
Thanks for the insights.

Too bad Rapha and Hincapie insist on having their logo right below the front of the neck...I think that looks tacky as hell when worn under a collar that isn't fastened.

jt2gt
04-07-2011, 08:25 AM
Did you see these...they look more T-Shirty, instead of baselayer.

http://www.departmentofgoods.com/swobo-merino-origins-t-shirt-short-sleeve-mens?CMP_ID=SH_FRO012&CMP_SKU=SWB0013&mv_pc=r126

Jt

Gummee
04-07-2011, 08:27 AM

I wore my SS base layer yesterday AND the day before. Its in the wash now.

HIGHLY recommended.

M