PDA

View Full Version : What was all the Sram cassette fuss about?

bkboom123
04-05-2011, 11:33 PM
I have had a Sram Red group for about a year and a half now. I was always scared about running a cassette and chain from sram because of all the negative reviews and press about them. So I have run DA 7800 instead...I did not know any better, but it was pretty sweet.

After much researching and talking to Competitive Cyclist, I decided to give the 1090 cassette and 1091R chain a try. All I have to say is WOWWWWWWWWWWW!

Not what I expected; faster, snappier, smoother shifts...no comparison. Yes, it runs a little louder, not nearly as bad as people make it seem. But seriously, I would take smoother and faster shifts under load (when out of the saddle cranking), any day over "quieter".

Comp Cyclist pretty much said its the people that dont have the drivetrain set up correctly that give Sram a bad name....

Has anyone else been suprisingly impressed with the Red cassette and chain?

bkboom123
04-05-2011, 11:34 PM
obviously a duplicate....no idea why this happened. but can someone correct? thanks

rice rocket
04-05-2011, 11:39 PM
I find that all SRAM cassettes are noiser. Like you can hear each tooth hitting the chain. Seems like performance isn't affected though, and I'd rather have the all steel Red cassette vs the 4 weak titanium cogs that Shimano uses to bring their weight down.

bkboom123
04-05-2011, 11:42 PM
Thats how i feel about it. I will say that is absolutely the coolest cassette I have seen/held first hand. Couldnt be happier with performance.

Grant McLean
04-06-2011, 12:02 AM
Thats how i feel about it. I will say that is absolutely the coolest cassette I have seen/held first hand. Couldnt be happier with performance.

one thing to keep in mind is that you're likely now comparing your year old,
partially worn out cassette and chain to a brand new one.
Most any new chain is going to be better than a worn one, of course
the new one is better, not because it's a certain brand, but because it's new.

-g

oldpotatoe
04-06-2011, 07:48 AM
I have had a Sram Red group for about a year and a half now. I was always scared about running a cassette and chain from sram because of all the negative reviews and press about them. So I have run DA 7800 instead...I did not know any better, but it was pretty sweet.

After much researching and talking to Competitive Cyclist, I decided to give the 1090 cassette and 1091R chain a try. All I have to say is WOWWWWWWWWWWW!

Not what I expected; faster, snappier, smoother shifts...no comparison. Yes, it runs a little louder, not nearly as bad as people make it seem. But seriously, I would take smoother and faster shifts under load (when out of the saddle cranking), any day over "quieter".

Comp Cyclist pretty much said its the people that dont have the drivetrain set up correctly that give Sram a bad name....

Has anyone else been suprisingly impressed with the Red cassette and chain?

Lower end cogsets, even sram, shift as well, last as long and are quieter, along with a lower end chain. Red chains and cogsets are expensive, particularly for a consumable.