PDA

View Full Version : wired vs wireless computer

wc1934
04-05-2011, 08:30 PM
After many years my old wired cateye has stopped working - any recommendations for an inexpensive replacement - basic models, without any bells and whistles would be fine for me -
Thinking of trying wireless - pros and cons?
Thanks

AngryScientist
04-05-2011, 08:36 PM
fwiw, i think the specialized "speedzone" line of computers are excellent, both wired and wireless. i have a very basic wired version on my commuter, and its great, nice large readout, has been super reliable through adverse weather conditions, and does all the basic stuff you'd expect it to.

http://www.bicycling.com/images/reviewfinder/0804specialized_speedzonesp.jpg

Peter P.
04-05-2011, 08:46 PM
I've got a Specialized Speedzone wireless-fits 26.0mm bars.

I've been too lazy to put it on eBay.

You want it-cheap?

PM me.

Ken Robb
04-05-2011, 09:23 PM
I have both types. Wireless is tidier but the sensor/transmitter is bigger than that of a wired version. You have two batteries of different types. When the battery in the display (wired or wireless) gets weak the display fades. When the battery in the wireless transmitter gets weak it may quit suddenly. Wirless costs extra. That's all I know about them. :banana:

DHallerman
04-05-2011, 09:32 PM
fwiw, i think the specialized "speedzone" line of computers are excellent, both wired and wireless. i have a very basic wired version on my commuter, and its great, nice large readout, has been super reliable through adverse weather conditions, and does all the basic stuff you'd expect it to.

http://www.bicycling.com/images/reviewfinder/0804specialized_speedzonesp.jpg

I prefer the wireless, but o'wise love the various generations of Speedzone cyclocomputers.

Easy to install, logical to operate, big screen for old eyes.

I prefer the variety pictured above in AngryScientist's post, but the current one is fine, too (although with an odd mount where the device gets put in on the side, instead of front or back).

Dave, who has been searching for "speedzone" on ebay with a small amount of success

Bob Loblaw
04-05-2011, 09:39 PM
Wired computers only use one battery and are therefore a little greener, so I prefer them. It does seem though that wireless is becoming the standard.

BL

Don49
04-05-2011, 09:43 PM
After many years my old wired cateye has stopped working - any recommendations for an inexpensive replacement - basic models, without any bells and whistles would be fine for me -
Thanks

Cateye Strada Wireless http://www.cateye.com/en/product_detail/408
Uses same battery type in computer and sensor. $41 on eBay.

deechee
04-05-2011, 11:07 PM
Pro: I don't have to worry about my cat chewing on the cables.

jlwdm
04-06-2011, 06:26 AM
Wireless is the only way to go. I can't imagine having wires running down my frame in this day and age.

You do need to be selective in buying a wireless computer for larger frames. Many have a very short range.

Jeff

oldpotatoe
04-06-2011, 08:03 AM
Wireless is the only way to go. I can't imagine having wires running down my frame in this day and age.

You do need to be selective in buying a wireless computer for larger frames. Many have a very short range.

Jeff

Ya mean like those 'wires' that go to your brakes and ders? Or do you have Di2? Oh wait, they have wires too.

vsefiream
04-06-2011, 08:14 AM
Thanks

My Cateye quit too, I found a bad reed switch in the speed pickup and a rub through in the wire. I replaced the reed switch and soldered/shrinkwrapped the wires and all good again. The nice thing about the Cateye is the pickups are repairable which is very green in my opinion. Now it works like a charm.

jlwdm
04-06-2011, 08:18 AM
Ya mean like those 'wires' that go to your brakes and ders? Or do you have Di2? Oh wait, they have wires too.

I know you know better - those are cables.

Jeff

oldpotatoe
04-06-2011, 09:37 AM
I know you know better - those are cables.

Jeff

Otherwise known as 'inner wires', don't lose your sense of humor!!

wc1934
04-06-2011, 06:05 PM
My Cateye quit too, I found a bad reed switch in the speed pickup and a rub through in the wire. I replaced the reed switch and soldered/shrinkwrapped the wires and all good again. The nice thing about the Cateye is the pickups are repairable which is very green in my opinion. Now it works like a charm.

thanks for the tip = will try to salvage it instead of tossing

palincss
04-06-2011, 06:09 PM

Jeff

Yes, and if you have a large handlebar bag it can interfere with the signal and prevent the computer from registering. That's why I have wired computers in this day and age.

biker72
04-06-2011, 06:14 PM
Cateye Strada Wireless http://www.cateye.com/en/product_detail/408
Uses same battery type in computer and sensor. $41 on eBay.

I have two of these. Great trouble free computer.