PDA

View Full Version : Chris King mated with Campy?

akelman
04-05-2011, 02:24 PM
No, I'm not interested in the latest rumors about whether Chris King will or won't build Campy-compatible hubs in the near future. Actually, that's a lie; I am sort of interested in those rumors, just not right now. Instead, what I want to know is whether anyone here has ever used King hubs with a Campy drivetrain: specifically, 10 speed shifters, cranks, and rear derailleur. If so, how did you do it? Did you use a Shiftmate? Did it work well? Were there any problems? Dish issues (dissues?)? Thanks so much.

firerescuefin
04-05-2011, 02:31 PM
I know somebody using the Wheels Mfg. cassette that is spaced for Campy 10 and he is happy with it. I just can't bring myself to do the same. But I am pining away for the Campy hub body.

AngryScientist
04-05-2011, 02:35 PM
i just bought a set of king wheels off this forum, of the pretty and strong variety, because i've always lusted after them. i am drawn to the pink hubs, which i really cant explain, but i am. (i'm all for obliterating breast cancer too, so thats a plus!)

Anyway, i'm taking the most inelegant approach, and running a 9-sp cassette on the wheels, everything else 10-sp campy. simple RD trick takes care of it, shifts excellently actually after a bit of tweaking.

read this article (which was shown to me by another forumite)

http://www.cxmagazine.com/shimano-campagnolo-ergopower-compatibility

ergott
04-05-2011, 02:39 PM
You can get 6 0.3mm spacers and put them in between the cogs (one before the cassette goes on instead of the 1mm spacer) of an Ultegra or Dura Ace cassette. You also need a lockring with more threads. Both can be purchased from www.alchemybicycleworks.com

I've done this with two different wheelsets in my personal collection. Works great.

TMB
04-05-2011, 02:39 PM
Either the American Classic or Wheels Mfg conversion cassette.

Hank Scorpio
04-06-2011, 06:43 AM
If you want an cheap solution to try it out I have the J-Tek shiftmate that is designed to work with campy shifters/ derailleurs and a shimano cassette you can have for free. I just have to locate it in the parts bin. Let me know.

James

oldpotatoe
04-06-2011, 07:42 AM
No, I'm not interested in the latest rumors about whether Chris King will or won't build Campy-compatible hubs in the near future. Actually, that's a lie; I am sort of interested in those rumors, just not right now. Instead, what I want to know is whether anyone here has ever used King hubs with a Campy drivetrain: specifically, 10 speed shifters, cranks, and rear derailleur. If so, how did you do it? Did you use a Shiftmate? Did it work well? Were there any problems? Dish issues (dissues?)? Thanks so much.

2 ways. Use a shimano 9s cogset and chain(ctr cog differences smaller than 10s Campag and 10s shimano) or use a Wheels accelerator cogset and 10s chain. Both work really well.

DRZRM
04-06-2011, 09:29 AM
If you go with the Shimano nine option (which knowing you I'm certain you won't) I think I have a Dura Ace /XTR 9 chain laying around I could part with. Obviously you will re-space a Dura Ace 10 cassette, which had I known was so easy to do, I would have likely bought a King wheelset ages ago.

I assume you should then run a Shimano chain with the Shimano cassette instead of the Campy one?

firerescuefin
04-06-2011, 09:54 AM

firerescuefin
04-06-2011, 09:55 AM
Eric....thanks for posting that. That's actually a solution I would be willing to try.

bshell
04-06-2011, 11:01 AM
I have King hubs on my CX bike and have been using Shimano cranks, chain, and cassette along with my Campy 10 speed shifters/derailleurs w/o any problems.

No spacers and no supplemental shift devices. It was all in the cable adjustment.

Not sure why it works because most everyone said it wouldn't....

TMB
04-06-2011, 11:20 AM
You can get 6 0.3mm spacers and put them in between the cogs (one before the cassette goes on instead of the 1mm spacer) of an Ultegra or Dura Ace cassette. You also need a lockring with more threads. Both can be purchased from www.alchemybicycleworks.com

I've done this with two different wheelsets in my personal collection. Works great.

This has me curious.

Can you give more details on this? Where do the spacers go in? 6 spacers with one on the hub side leaves 5 to go in the cassette ....

DRZRM
04-06-2011, 11:28 AM
Yeah, I'm confused too. With the two largest together on Record/Chorus and the 3rd and 4th together as well, that still leaves seven internal spaces for the 5 spacers after you place one behind the hub. Do you just place them towards the wheel leaving the 8th 9th and 10th cogs spaced as Campy has them (I guess there is no spacer required between 9 & 10 is there, maybe also not one between 8 & 9)? How do you approach this if you use Centaur or below where the 1/2 and 3/4 are not connected?

Edit: I am a f**king idiot. Of course this whole thread is about how to use a Shimano cassette on a Campy drive train...so my question above is...well, just stupid. I'll assume that Shimano cassettes have 5 gaps that need spacers?

This has me curious.

Can you give more details on this? Where do the spacers go in? 6 spacers with one on the hub side leaves 5 to go in the cassette ....

TMB
04-06-2011, 11:49 AM
Yeah, I'm confused too. With the two largest together on Record/Chorus and the 3rd and 4th together as well, that still leaves seven internal spaces for the 5 spacers after you place one behind the hub. Do you just place them towards the wheel leaving the 8th 9th and 10th cogs spaced as Campy has them (I guess there is no spacer required between 9 & 10 is there, maybe also not one between 8 & 9)? How do you approach this if you use Centaur or below where the 1/2 and 3/4 are not connected?

Edit: I am a f**king idiot. Of course this whole thread is about how to use a Shimano cassette on a Campy drive train...so my question above is...well, just stupid. I'll assume that Shimano cassettes have 5 gaps that need spacers?

I'm in the same boat though. I don'tr know how Shimano cassetes are set up so am really interested in the answer to this.

If I can quit using conversion cassettes on some of the hubs I have - it would be great.

AngryScientist
04-06-2011, 11:53 AM
I'm in the same boat though. I don'tr know how Shimano cassetes are set up so am really interested in the answer to this.

If I can quit using conversion cassettes on some of the hubs I have - it would be great.

add me to the list of interested parties. the 9-speed solution is working, but it would be cool to have 10 gears in the rear as intended.

ergott
04-06-2011, 01:59 PM
All spacers are 0.3mm. You continue to use the existing spacers in the cassette. You do not use the 1mm spacer before the cassette.

1 spacer before cassette
group of three cogs
1 spacer
group of 2 cogs
1 spacer
cog
1 spacer
cog
1 spacer
cog
1 spacer
cog
cog
lockring

:beer:

AngryScientist
04-06-2011, 02:03 PM
thanks eric, going to do this soon.

DRZRM
04-06-2011, 02:15 PM
Nice, thanks Eric!

Now somebody sell me some wheels with King hubs!

TMB
04-06-2011, 02:16 PM
Thank you Eric.

Pyramor
06-14-2011, 04:46 PM

Does anyone know if this will work with a 105 or Tiagra cassette?