PDA

View Full Version : The Issue of Warranties

Smiley
04-05-2011, 06:33 AM
Back in my bike rep days I dealt with alot of warranty related issues epecially when we (Serotta rep) transitioned from the old Chris Chance Fat City bike days. People please read and understand your warranties, they are issued to the original buyer and they probably are only as good/long as the company is in business. I know that Serotta's warranties are to the original buyer period. This is the main reason why Ben Serotta when he reaquired his company sold back Fat City to Chris Chance for $1 only. I am sure he thought about all those old warranty claims that could have been looming out there.

BTW as the Serotta rep back then we always took care of the clients and I can't ever remember asking for an original bill of sale. I do remember several really good resolutions we did to satisfy the person that owned a Serotta. Please keep in mind that was BEFORE E-Bay and the aftermarket products that are now in play.

AngryScientist
04-05-2011, 06:42 AM
People please read and understand your warranties...

i think this is the key. you're really only entitled to what you have in writing. anything a bike mfg does not specified in the warranty verbiage is above and beyond their responsibility. i'm of course all for doing so, and helping out an honest consumer, but sometimes the sense of entitlement can be a little unrealistic.

FlashUNC
04-05-2011, 08:15 AM
As the owner of a secondhand (or maybe 5th hand) Serotta, I think it would be unrealistic of me as a customer to expect full warranty coverage or anything similar on my frame. If something happens, I'll be sure to call and see what my options are, but I'd hardly expect them to bend over backwards.

Vientomas
04-05-2011, 08:32 AM
Speaking of warranties - one of the reasons I ride Turner mountain bike:

2-year frame warranty ::.
Turner will repair or replace any Turner frame, Only if we determine it to be defective due to materials and /or workmanship. This 2 year warranty applies to the frameset Only (not including suspension components), ridden under normal conditions, properly maintained and is transferable to subsequent owners with original sales receipt.

Turner Bikes will make replacement parts available at a minimum charge in the event of a crash or other non-warranty situation. This replacement policy is good for all frames including those who have purchased their frames new or used.

Turner-4-Turner program ::.
The Turner-4-Turner Trade-in Program allows a current Turner frame owner to send in their old Turner frame and receive a $600 credit off of the M.S.R.P of a brand new Turner frame. The frame trade-in program is extended to all Turner frames regardless of age or condition. Your old frame will then be recycled and you can feel good about doing your part to help the environment, not to mention having a new Turner to ride is the sweet icing on the proverbial cake.

EDS
04-05-2011, 08:36 AM
I wish the dealer told me about the crash replacement policy when I bought my Serotta. Fortunately I have not needed it but would have been nice piece of mind.

tuxbailey
04-05-2011, 08:51 AM
I don't expect a warranty on my Merlin when i bought it used. Hence I got it used for a good discount :)

alancw3
04-05-2011, 09:24 AM
if i am not mistaken calfee offers or use to a warranty transfer to a subsequent owner (not original) for a nominal fee of like $250 and an inspection. i think this is reasonable and a good selling point to original owners.