PDA

View Full Version : Another e-Bay scam or is this guys just out of it?

Bruce K
02-06-2004, 11:31 AM
There is a Serotta that just came up on e-Bay. It is listed as a "Ti 02"

You just have to marvel at the description of the bike. "A full size large".

Wheels are from a company called "Mavic".

Either this guy is totally ignorant, it's a joke, or a poorly disguised scam.

In any event it's good for a laugh.

BK

davids
02-06-2004, 11:45 AM
I assume this is the listing you're talking about: Serotta Ti (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3659465113&category=7298) ?

I get the distinct whiff of someone fencing a stolen bike. He refers to the stem as the "neck"? Bad news...

Kevan
02-06-2004, 11:53 AM
Whatsa pedal holder?

JohnS
02-06-2004, 11:55 AM
The seller's name is "Swingen4Fences". Yeah, he's a fence, alright!

dirtdigger88
02-06-2004, 12:02 PM
I just emailed him to ask about the bike, lets see what comes back. I am guessing either someone with more $$ than brains or a theif. :mad: :mad: :mad:

Ginger
02-06-2004, 12:03 PM
The bike must not be ridden much, the computer is bored.

And how 'bout that new brake manufacturer...Record...gotta get me somma dat!

dirtdigger88
02-06-2004, 12:04 PM
Look at the pix of the cassette and chain, somone does not understand maintenence

Keith A
02-06-2004, 12:13 PM
"The pedals are custom and made in France by a company called "Look"" and how about the "de-railer". And he swears that "this bike is out of control". At least he got that one right -- it's out of the owners control!

He registered just a couple of days ago...I wonder why?

dirtdigger88
02-06-2004, 12:16 PM
yeah and he is selling a computer, and go cart and a serotta. I can't waint to hear from my new friend. I asked him how he came to own the bike, since he is clearly not a cyclist.

Tom
02-06-2004, 12:25 PM
Thieves sure are getting lazier all the time. Even a tiny bit of research would have prevented this ad from being so glaringly obvious. Uh-mazing.

Bruce K
02-06-2004, 12:28 PM
Maybe dirtdigger can get the serial number and Serotta could identify the owner.

If owner and bile could be re-united and the thief nailed in the process....

Now wouldn't THAT be sweet?

BK

Sandy
02-06-2004, 12:53 PM
Pathetic in every way.

MartyE
02-06-2004, 01:27 PM
that has got to be the nastiest, gunked up cassette I've
ever seen.
However I was impressed that the brakes, etc. are made
by Record.

Marty

Ginger
02-06-2004, 01:32 PM
Pedal holder...heh heh...

I'll use that.

(its part of my ploy to pick up guys...if you seem totally clueless they HAVE TO HELP YOU...whether you need them to or not. I need more practice on the clueless part. As long as they don't see my bike room, I'm all set.)

BumbleBeeDave
02-06-2004, 01:54 PM
. . . . I thought you WERE totally clueless! You mean it was just an act? :rolleyes:

Boy, am I in trouble NOW! :eek:

BBDave

jeffg
02-06-2004, 02:09 PM
1. The Seller clearly is not a native speaker of english. It may seem goofy, but bike terms do not translate well from other languages if done literally. Otherwise you end up with "handlebar potency" instead of stem, etc.

2. More importantly, note the 02 fork and the massive HT extension. It seems that Serotta does not sell so many of these that they could not identify the frame or at least limit the search substantially. If so, perhaps they could help contact the owner as well.

Blastinbob
02-06-2004, 02:09 PM
I emailed him last night trying to find out the size and also inquiring about the charcoal on the cassette. He swears the bike is brand new !

His response > hi, yes this bike is new. it has been on display at a gt dealership for about maybe a year . this bike a full size large. i can give u the specs tomorrow once i go to the shop. thanks

Tom
02-06-2004, 02:12 PM
Ask him to give you the numbers written underneath the pedal holder connector. Explain that they will tell you whether the bike is worth $3500 or maybe even more. If he's really dumb he won't realize they're serial numbers. Appeal to greed. It's the number three motivator behind fear.

Ginger
02-06-2004, 02:23 PM
No Dave,

You're not in trouble. Not at all...

Now...Isn't that worse?

Bruce K
02-06-2004, 03:15 PM
The more you look at it the wierder it looks.

In the full picture the decals looks funky and try counting cogs in the cassette. I can't come up with 10.

It will be interesting to hear the full story.

BK

PaulE
02-06-2004, 04:03 PM
"THE PEDAL HOLDER,DE-RAILER,& BRAKES ARE ALL CARBON FIBERAND MADE BY RECORD."

Of course, the pedal holder! All this time I thought that was called the front chain keeper-onner!

Eye-balling the headtube, I would say that bike is a 54 - 56 cm frame, which I wouldn't consider large.

Uncle Al's rant in the Road Bike Rider newsletter a couple of weeks ago was directly on point. If that online auction looks too good to be true, it probably is!

oracle
02-06-2004, 05:09 PM
have you ever heard of pedals levers?

oracle

keno
02-06-2004, 05:13 PM
I cannot recall having seen the lay-the-bike-on-the-floor photo shoot technique before. Do you figure he was on a ladder or hanging in a sling? He must be used to photographing models in hair ads. Personally, a photo of a bike lying on its side is all too reminiscent of an experience of last summer I'd like to forget.

keno, now upright

Kevin
02-06-2004, 05:46 PM
It certainly looks suspicious.

Kevin

gt6267a
02-06-2004, 06:41 PM
i actually enjoyed reading the add. i always enjoy creative application of words. for homeboy to truly urbanize the add he really should make sure to use ebobic key works like yo, playa, and holla; but maybe he'll hit it next time.

oracle
02-06-2004, 06:48 PM
and as well, are you subjecting us to what seems to be your insufferable rascist bent, or am i mis-interpreting your words?

oracle

BumbleBeeDave
02-06-2004, 06:58 PM
. . . as if you are skating perilously close to troll territory, sir. I see nothing ethnic in this ad. Naivety and/or stupidity knows no race or gender.

Perhaps you could explain further?

BBD

Kevin
02-06-2004, 08:02 PM
gt6267a,

I agree with BBDave.

Kevin

dirtdigger88
02-06-2004, 09:13 PM
gt6267a THAT is in poor taste. what is the saying . . . its better to remain silent and be thought a fool that to open your mouth and prove it.

gt6267a
02-06-2004, 09:43 PM
I see that I have hit a nerve, though I do think it is unfounded.

Might I clarify that in no way do I perceive any means of creativity in language as negative. i.e. I think it is a good thing. I also do not see any reference to ethnicity in my comments.

Neither the creative use of language nor the term urban should be tied to a race, color, or creed. Further, I think that to make accusations of racism based upon my comments is exactly the type of bias you claim a desire to avoid. i.e. you are attributing a negative and race related perspective by my reference of the word urban and sighting examples.

Seriously gentleman and woman, has the politically correct generation made you unable to enjoy forms of expression beyond what your parents used? That would be quite sad were it true.

We live in a society with a dynamic meaning to words. Enjoy this creativity.

Edit :
Note: My understanding of the word ebonics was urban enlish i.e. without respect to color. Using Webster, I just looked up the word and according to them there it is specific. This is my mistake. I apologize to anyone offended(including myself) to this reference. This was not my intent.

rhg
02-06-2004, 10:17 PM
<yawn> as to any perceived or real slight perpretrated by anyone's post...

More to the point: look - the bike's only at $400 right now (although 4 more days to run) - and with the Campy headset, etc., that's a pretty good deal. On the other hand, note that this is the seller's first sale; caveat emptor.

As an aside, that guy's language isn't any worse than any of my students' language (college-level). I've seen stupider...

BumbleBeeDave
02-06-2004, 10:31 PM
. . . But I think it is better to get just a bit off topic and clear up a small misunderstanding now than to let that small misunderstanding grow into a big one.

BBDave

gt6267a
02-06-2004, 10:41 PM
BBD -- we cool ?

if not, i am open to discussion. To my chagrin, flipping channels I came across the first installment of the LOTR series. Frodo has just been pseudo pierced by the cave troll and the hobbitses just jumped on the trolls head … therefore, will be up for some time this evening…

BumbleBeeDave
02-06-2004, 10:53 PM
. . . or however else you wish to say it! Just a minor misunderstanding . . . microscopic, compared to the old forum!

Enjoy the movie . . . BYW, the butler did it! :p

BBDave

dirtdigger88
02-07-2004, 09:27 AM
The seller ended the bidding early, I wonder why. Maybe it was all of the questions about the serieal ##s

Bruce K
02-07-2004, 09:36 AM
It appears this turkey has re-posted the auction with a re-worded description.

The new added pieces are written in better english but the bike description remains the same. He has added dimensions for the seat tube and top tube.

He also has upped the starting price of bidding.

Hope springs eternal.....

BK

PaulE
02-07-2004, 09:53 AM
Well, he takes paypal. Doesn't that give the buyer some assurance? But insurance isn't available. What's up with that?

Johny
02-07-2004, 11:00 AM
Originally posted by PaulE
Well, he takes paypal. Doesn't that give the buyer some assurance? But insurance isn't available. What's up with that?

IMHO, Paypal is not completely safe unless he or she is a verified member. And even with that, scams are still possible. Those liars (or real-life losers) always amaze me. Unfortunately, some people would still go for it... My wife (then my girlfriend) was a victim of a scam (fortunately, she did not lose "too much" money) and I've also heard many scam stories. Recently, I've tried to sell some cycling stuff on ebay and also here; I cannot believe some of the emails I got: for example, a guy even tried to tell me he could sell me the components I am trying to sell...

BumbleBeeDave
02-07-2004, 11:16 AM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=7298&item=3659662915

The story is a BIT better, but not much.

As for PayPal, everyone should be aware that if you have a paypal account and you are linked in ANY way with anyone doing anything dishonest on PayPal--even if you just bought something form them in the past--PayPal can and will freeze your accounts along with the dishonest persons and you will never see your money.

And ditto with being a “verified” member, IMHO . . . do NOT give these people your checking account number. Baaad idea! . . .

Go see “PayPal sucks” at this link and see what I mean . . .

http://paypalsucks.com/

BBDave

Howie
02-08-2004, 10:26 AM
He/she has no fashion taste. In the old auction, note the socks with the "tevas" in the front wheel picture. I wonder if a police sketch artist can get something with that.

Russ
02-08-2004, 10:35 AM
Hey Guys,

Thanks.... This is vey amusing and a way to keep an eye for this crazy stuff...

I like this line: WILL BE SHIPPED WITH IN 24 HRS OF MONEY ON HAND, THROUGH UPS, ARE FED-EX

I guess, that is the real reason UPS messes up many of our packages! They ARE FedEx, really!

yohollaplaya
02-08-2004, 11:38 PM
deleted

swingen4fences
02-08-2004, 11:53 PM
deleted

duke
02-09-2004, 12:13 AM
Boy, I saw this coming a mile away. I think we need moderated.

Kevin
02-09-2004, 05:44 AM
I think Alyson will be busy on Monday. Did you notice in his profile that Swingen was born on April Fools Day?

Kevin

dnovo
02-09-2004, 06:12 AM
Hey, not me this time. I didn't even participate. There's a switch. Who would have believed it possible. Dave N.

Kevin
02-09-2004, 07:04 AM
I just went to Swingen's ebay profile. He just sold a laptop that he found in his home while he was cleaning. I wonder what he will find next. Perhaps a color television, a car, the cell phone I "lost" last year.

Kevin

dirtdigger88
02-09-2004, 07:57 AM
Hey I finally got a response too, Mr. Swinger has threatened me my mom and my child. It is a good thing I only think he is a theif and not a real thug or I would have to track him down. I see he posted here too, I am sorry I missed it. You gotta love it

BumbleBeeDave
02-09-2004, 08:42 AM
. . . are legally actionable, I believe. you might wish to notify local police and your ISP.

BBDave

dirtdigger88
02-09-2004, 09:11 AM
Way ahead of you BBDave. Ebay and my Isp have all been contacted. I will wait to hear form them, but then I will contact the police if the emails continue

BUCKSHOTS
02-09-2004, 11:29 PM
yea im the guy with the bike here. First of all NO its NOT stolen and if you want the serial numbers, then come across me the right way, and ask nicely like a normal person, instead of demanding!!!!!!!
And you are all right, I dont know a thing about what I have here, except for the fact that it is BRAND NEW. If you dont like it, THEN DONT BID ON IT. You can do all the threatening you want and call allthe authorities you want, but in the end, I have done nothing wrong, therefore I fear not a single one of these maliscious statements. As for dirtdigger goes: I never threatened your family and kids. I simply told you to tell your mom to trim the bushes. And you are the one that keeps emailing me not me emailing you, I would like very much for you to leave me alone. As for the rest of you go, I just want some education about the bike here. The honest truth here is, I have something I know nothing about, I didnt steal it, and all the things i have sold on ebay are 100% legitimate. So with that being said I hope you all enjoy. And for those of you willing to educate my naieve mind as far as serotta's go then please help me to learn a thing or two , so that i can avoid people having field days on forums about my ebay auctions.

BUCKSHOTS
02-10-2004, 12:20 AM
BREAKING NEWS!!!!!!!
I just foudn the cell phone that KEVIN lost last year. Kevin i guess its finders keepers, so up on ebay it goes. LOL

Kevin
02-10-2004, 05:08 AM
Looks like Serotta Alyson is going to be busy again.

Kevin

Ginger
02-10-2004, 08:51 AM
Well Buckshots,
Serotta serial numbers include the size of the bike if you know how to read them. I did ask for the serial number in a polite manner including the reason that I wanted it. You never replied in any manner.

As you never replied I didn't know what size it was, so I never bid on your bike. From the measurements you list now which, considering your experience with bikes, might be incorrect (so I still don't really know what size it is), your bike is too big for me so I won't bid on it now either.

If you want to be taken seriously in a bike auction, do a little research and call items by their correct names. If you want to claim the bike is new in the auction, clean it up. No bike with a chain and cassette that filthy is "new" or even "as new". Some good bike shops have a bike detailing service available, perhaps you should find one and make use of it. (do NOT powerwash the bike...that would be bad)

I realize you really don't want any of the above information, but you did ask.

Good luck with your auction.

Ginger

BUCKSHOTS
02-10-2004, 09:04 AM
THANK YOU VERY MUCH GINGER. SEE THERE REALLY ARE GOOD PEOPLE OUT THERE. OK SO MAYBE ITS NOT BOUGHT YESTERDAY-BRAND NEW. BUT IIT HAS BEEN SITTING IN A WAREHOUSE FOR WELL OVER A YEAR. AND I DONT PLAN ON POWERWASHING IT ANY TIME SOON. LOL
THANKS AGAIN.

weisan
02-10-2004, 09:08 AM
Just for the record. This thread has picked up the highest number of page views so far on this forum.

Everyone, please be nice to each other. We all have our days on both sides of the fence.

That will be all.

Tom Byrnes
02-10-2004, 09:30 AM
Buckshot,

I also asked you in an email in a polite manner a few days ago for the serial number for the same reasons that Ginger stated. ou have posted a few emails on this website, but have not answered my email.

Providing the serial number would assist any prospective buyer truly consider purchasing your bike. It would allow someone thinking of buying your bike the opportunity to check directly with Serotta to confirm your estimates of the tube lengths of the bike and obtain other important imformation. Providing the serial number will also remove any doubts about whether the bike was stolen from its original owner.

If you want to sell your bike quickly, please post the serial number on this forum.

Tom Byrnes
Buckshot,

I also asked you in an email in a polite manner a few days ago for the serial number for the same reasons that Ginger stated. ou have posted a few emails on this website, but have not answered my email.

Providing the serial number would assist any prospective buyer truly consider purchasing your bike. It would allow someone thinking of buying your bike the opportunity to check directly with Serotta to confirm your estimates of the tube lengths of the bike and obtain other important imformation. Providing the serial number will also remove any doubts about whether the bike was stolen from its original owner.

If you want to sell your bike quickly, please post the serial number on this forum.

Tom Byrnes
Buckshot,

admin
02-10-2004, 09:35 AM
Due to complaints, I am locking this thread. And regardless of questionable actions outside of this forum (Ebay, for example), please be reminded of the the User Agreement (http://forums.thepaceline.net/announcement.php?s=&forumid=3).

"Respect toward fellow members is expected. You agree not to harass, flame, insult, taunt, or otherwise disrespect any member of this forum. In other words, if you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all."

If you have any questions, feel free to contact me at alyson@serotta.com.

Play nice!
Alyson