PDA

View Full Version : One bike for rest of life

hainy
04-04-2011, 05:15 PM
If you could only ride one road bike for the rest of your life and money was no object what would you get.

I am thinking a Vanilla for my 60th which is in 2020 if I can get on the wait list.

Closely followed by Ellis

Cheers

Hainy

bkboom123
04-04-2011, 05:20 PM
This will seem stranger to many of you forum members, but....

Crumpton all black Carbon bike
Carbon Sports Light Weight Clincher wheels
Sram Red ALL BLACK Group

:beer:

TMB
04-04-2011, 05:28 PM
One bike for the rest of my life would not be a full out race bike, which is what I expect many of us would opt for.

It would be something like the classic English Club Racer style.

Longer chainstays
Wider tire clearance
eyelets for fenders front and back
rack mounts front and back
light attachment points on front fork
steel frame and fork
2 maybe 3 sets of wheels. 1 would certainly have a dynamo front hub, 1 set built on Excellight or Nemesis rims for running 25's and 1 set built on something a little wider like Major Toms to run up to about a 35.
Hammered Honjo Fenders and LONG flaps front and back
Square taper BB's
I am a BIG fan of Paul Racer brakes, so, those.
Probably couplers too.

Builder would be whoever shared the vision and helped me make it true.

Aaron O
04-04-2011, 05:29 PM
Sheesh...so many options.

Well...it would have to have tires capable of handling a variety of surfaces, so right off we're heading away from a racing style road bike. I'd need fenders for rain and I'd need racks. It would have to be extremely reliable, since I wouldn't have a backup and very durable. I'd avoid something too flashy since it would make it a target and I'd need to commute with it frequently.

Titanium frame (Spectrum) with eyelets, honjo fenders, tubus stainless racks (or maybe even some custom Bilenky racks). No decals. Rohloff hub, dynamo front generator and S and S couplers. Some cool alloy cranks and seatpost...maybe C record. Cinelli drops and stem (because I love them) with the old logos. Dia Comp 982 cantis and GC velo orange levers.

akelman
04-04-2011, 05:58 PM
One bike for the rest of my life would not be a full out race bike, which is what I expect many of us would opt for.

Longer chainstays
Wider tire clearance
steel frame and fork
2 maybe 3 sets of wheels. 1 would certainly have a dynamo front hub, 1 set built on Excellight or Nemesis rims for running 25's and 1 set built on something a little wider like Major Toms to run up to about a 35.
Square taper BB's
Probably couplers too.

So, in other words, you're going to have kohlboto's Hampsten coupled?

Steelman
04-04-2011, 06:06 PM
Already have it. A NOS Rossin Ghibli. Purchased from the former importer in Canada, apparently it was the last one in the warehouse in Italy. Trouble is, purchased it raw and the chrome is not so good after spending years in a damp I-talian warehouse.

So, if money were no object, it would be painted and chromed by Joe Bell and then given the best groupo, 1999 or so Record 9 Speed.

keevon
04-04-2011, 06:08 PM
I like TMB's specs, but in titanium.

TMB
04-04-2011, 06:12 PM
So, in other words, you're going to have kohlboto's Hampsten coupled?

Well,

There is this ........

Does not have rack mounts or light points though.

Also now has 10 speed Ergos rather than the DT shifters.

hainy
04-04-2011, 06:28 PM
I suppose where i am coming from is a pure road bike that will give you great fit and comfort and still provide adequate performance over a good 3 to 4 hour sunday ride.

Not a full on stiff crit racing bike that you will thrash for an hour at the local race.

rice rocket
04-04-2011, 06:40 PM
Probably this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330547327828&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

I wasn't the winner though. :rolleyes:

phcollard
04-04-2011, 06:41 PM
Hampsten all the way.

Classic club racer comfortable even for a whole day in the saddle. Room for wider tires and fenders. Timeless design. Impeccable craftsmanship. And oh Steve Hampsten is a dream to work with.

Can it be more beautiful than this? http://www.flickr.com/photos/jtred23/4734189876/sizes/l/

Fixed
04-04-2011, 08:24 PM
i had it i sold it when i got sick to help pay some of my med bills
cheers

gasman
04-04-2011, 08:29 PM
i had it i sold it when i got sick to help pay some of my med bills
cheers

THAT is a bummer.

Black Dog
04-04-2011, 08:31 PM
I love my ride and will be on it for a long time. I would only change the tire clearance to give me a bit more room for something fatter than 25c's for those gravel road adventures. If I ever want to tour with it I will pull a trailer. I just love it, it is comfy all day (even 8 hours in the saddle) and Ti will never corrode.

2009 Litespeed Icon with Campy Chorus:

http://i900.photobucket.com/albums/ac209/BlackDogryka/IMG_2196.jpg

Fixed
04-04-2011, 08:33 PM
THAT is a bummer.
i am happy with what i have now .. and i am feeling very good right now
cheers

Kirk007
04-04-2011, 08:41 PM
yeah...I tried this exact idea (see everyday Kirk in signature). The bike is great; and is probably what I would get again or something very similar). I don't do well with the one bike concept though. Variety is the spice of life no?

rugbysecondrow
04-04-2011, 08:48 PM
My new Sport Tourer Bedford. It s a great bike, flexible enough to meet all my needs. Fat tires when I need them, skinnier ones for a sportier ride, rack and fender mounts. Oh yea, couplers. I really like the steal ride.

Cheers

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=86754&highlight=Bedford

AngryScientist
04-04-2011, 09:20 PM
that would be hard for me since i like different kinds of bikes. i suppose if i had to have ONE bike, it would need to have horizontal rear drop outs so i could run it fixed or geared, depending on the time of the year. i love riding fixed over the winter/spring, and need geared for the hillier rides i do.

titanium would be a must, ability to run between 23 and 28c tires.

most importantly, it must fit absolutely perfectly.

gasman
04-04-2011, 09:22 PM
i am happy with what i have now .. and i am feeling very good right now
cheers

Good, I actually suspected as much. Glad you're here also.

indyrider
04-04-2011, 09:35 PM
My new Sport Tourer Bedford. It s a great bike, flexible enough to meet all my needs. Fat tires when I need them, skinnier ones for a sportier ride, rack and fender mounts. Oh yea, couplers. I really like the steal ride.

Cheers

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=86754&highlight=Bedford

I thought you were selling it :banana:

texbike
04-04-2011, 09:48 PM
Hmmm. Mine would be a titanium from Moots, Eriksen, or Hampsten. It would have typical 73/73ish angles, room to accommodate 32c tires in the rear (without lengthening the stays too much), DT shifter bosses for added build flexibility, and two forks (one carbon, and one steel to swap out for the carbon when I wanted to run wider tires).

Texbike

GoJavs
04-04-2011, 10:06 PM
If my Waterford 1200 fit 28s, it'd be my bike for life. Its Reynolds 753 with a 531 fork and it rides like butter, but since I took that elbow-to-the-concrete back in Jan '10, I have a hard time mentally riding anything but 28s.

So, the Waterford sits around waiting for those mornings once in a while when I feel a little 'bold' and the one bike for life search continues. Looking at Hampstens real close right now.

rugbysecondrow
04-05-2011, 05:29 AM
I thought you were selling it :banana:

Hahahahahaha. April Fools!

TimmyB
04-05-2011, 05:49 AM
One bike? I'd go for something exactly like my boulder and how I have it set up now, but made of a lightweight ti instead of truetemper xo for longevity's sake - clearance for 32mm tires + fenders, low trail fork, high performance group (sram red group / xx rd / 11-36 cassette), canti's, mini front rack for a handlebar/rando bag, synergy rims, shmidt generator hub in the front - WI h3 in the rear, supernova e3 light, pro vibe 7s bars, thomson stem / post, gran boise tyres. Light enough to still drop teammates on group rides, practical enough to ride in all weather and conditions, able to shred fire trails, able to do light touring on. What more could you want for a 1 bike setup?

Ray
04-05-2011, 05:59 AM
I have two Spectrum road bikes. Both fit like gloves (as you come to take for granted with Tom). One is a bit more fun when I'm really in shape. The other is more versatile, has S&S couplers, takes fenders, and is more fun when I'm not quite at the top of my game. Given that I seem very content to let my game slip and I'm not likely to get STRONGER as I get older, the second one would be the ONE bike if I had to choose. Fortunately I don't and as long as I still have days where I feel good and feel frisky, I'm gonna want that first one around too, even if I ride it less and less as I get older...

-Ray

victoryfactory
04-05-2011, 07:06 AM
Legend Ti still floats my boat with just a few minor parts upgrades
in the last 8 seasons.

VF

Charles M
04-05-2011, 08:46 AM
I reject the question....

One bike for the rest of my life, yet money is no object?

It's like saying if you could have sex any time you want with the most beautiful woman in the world, and she had a penis, describe the woman.

Wait,

no, maybe that's not what it's like, but I still reject the question.

sparkiegaz
04-05-2011, 08:56 AM
mmm not a hard one for me,, my serotta cst mountain bike built in 2003 for me totally love it,,,,,,,,chris king hubs headset, race face chainset xtr hope disc,,,,still going strong... :) :) :) :) :)

victoryfactory
04-05-2011, 09:51 AM
It's like saying if you could have sex any time you want with the most beautiful woman in the world, and she had a penis, describe the woman.
Wait,

Well sure, Pez. You have to feel that way. You are in the business of testing
the new stuff as it comes out. I think this exercise only applies to civilians.
I read it as: "If you had to purchase one bike now and keep it for the rest of
your riding life with no chance to change, what would it be?"

VF

Pete Serotta
04-05-2011, 10:10 AM
Quantify what you want in ride characteristics and then get fit, by a good fitter for that...

Then look at which ever one has the most lust for you.

Steel is always good, as is Ti. The HSG is one of my favorite CARBONs but there are other nice ones by Strong and many others....

A lifetime frame just by that definition would be Ti for me. yes I have one that I take on most trips and is not painted.

Good luck and let us know what you decide and why (Yeah I am Serotta biased for over 25 years but that does not mean that others have inferior quality.

Do not know where you live but a fitting based on YOUR requirements is the first step for me. :D

T-Crush
04-05-2011, 10:39 AM

Wait,

It's been a tough couple of weeks, thanks Pezzie for a much needed LOL moment.

One bike for life? Hampsten Strada Bianca Titanium. I recall an example DBRK posted a few years back, lengthen the top tube 5mm or so and I'll take it and be done.

TC

PaMtbRider
04-05-2011, 11:00 AM
S&S coupled Ti road bike built by on of these three: Serotta, Spectrum, Kent Ericksen.

Rudy
04-05-2011, 01:08 PM
Ellis all the way.

weisan
04-05-2011, 02:34 PM
All gone...(sold or put away)
Serotta TG
Serotta Atlanta
Serotta Legend Ti
Serotta Hors Categorie
Lemond Tete Le Course
KHS Flite
Ritchey Logic
50th Anniversary Schwinn Paramount 88'
Cannondale RS4000
Cannondale 2.8 SR300
Italian lugged steel SLX
LOOK KG281
Redline Conquest Pro
Olmo steel

One left...
Taylor

Oh well, maybe one more...Bike Friday - Air Friday. It's special, courtesy of Thwart-pal, I commit never to sell, even though I don't ride it that much.

All previous bikes are fine and well-built machines. Different season of life, simplifying that's all.

Dan Le foot
04-05-2011, 04:05 PM
Having it built by Jim Kish right now. Ti cross bikes.(Wife is getting one too)
They are being painted by Spectrum now. Should be able to build next week.
Will replace the back up road bikes and MTBs. Garage is getting empty.
Dan

zennmotion
04-05-2011, 05:39 PM
If my Waterford 1200 fit 28s, it'd be my bike for life. Its Reynolds 753 with a 531 fork and it rides like butter, but since I took that elbow-to-the-concrete back in Jan '10, I have a hard time mentally riding anything but 28s.

So, the Waterford sits around waiting for those mornings once in a while when I feel a little 'bold' and the one bike for life search continues. Looking at Hampstens real close right now.

Why not just raise the brake bridge when it's time for a repaint? Or better yet, mount some canti posts for Paul Racer M centerpulls, or would this not work with your fork?

palincss
04-05-2011, 06:10 PM

Longer chainstays
Wider tire clearance
steel frame and fork
Square taper BB's
Probably couplers too.

Builder would be whoever shared the vision and helped me make it true.

You aren't going to be very happy with the appearance or the function of those Honjos if you set them so they'll be right for 35mm tires and then use them with 25mm.