PDA

View Full Version : Look Kg 243

d_douglas
04-04-2011, 02:35 PM
This is kind of a show and sell, if you will.

I bought this bike in Grenoble, simply because I couldn't resist how cool it was. I have plenty of bikes, and have no need for this, so I really must sell, even though it fits great and rides like a lovely old steel frame should.

I bought it from an older guy who probably got it for his 50th birthday and 12 or so years later, realized that he never liked cycling. It is monogrammed 'J. Purcello' and is in excellent to close to mint condition.

It is a LOOK KG243 lugged steel Columbus Neuron frameset with what I would suspect is a Look carbon fork. From what I know of it, it is from the mid to late 90s, so carbon fork technology was pretty good by then. In any case, I think the bike was rarely used. According to a fellow Forumite, it was built by Billato, of Greg Lemond fame, so it has a great pedigree.

details:

58 x 57.5cm frame

Chorus and Record 9spd group
Mavic CXP30 rims w Michelin clinchers
Flite gel saddle with a bit of discolouration (from riding in jeans, methinks)
Daytona/Centaur seatpost
TA triplizer adaptor on 170mm cranks
3t Forma/Status bar and stem (110mm x 42cm, I believe)
Look pedals of some sort.

The only thing I changed was the bar tape from 'hideous' to black cork.

As mentioned, it runs PERFECTLY. I would say the shifting is as good or better than my 11spd Chorus on my vagen - it is that good. The triplizer seems to works perfectly.

I am looking to break even on this purchase. I paid $750, so I will ask that + shipping. Bear in mind that I am in Geneva, Switzerland, so this would be about $200 shipping in my pessimistic opinion. In any case, buyer pays the real shipping cost, whatever it may be.

I was planning to sell it locally because it is eurotrashy and not that expensive, so it would be a pretty easy sale. However, given that some Serotta folks seemed interested when I inquired about it two months ago, I thought I would offer it up just in case anyone is dying to collect and ride this rather rare bike.

I am not willing to lose money on it, so shipping may be a killer for those in North America that are interested. If anyone is planning a euro trip this summer and needs a bike, this thing rides dreamily - like my Supercorsa.

Jim / Saab2000 - do you need a new spare bike in Pfaffikon?!?!

Sorry for the crap photos. Iphone-y but they give you an idea of the condition and the airbrushed goodness. Ask any questions you like!

ultraman6970
04-04-2011, 07:45 PM
Why is so freaking big? well as usual or too big or too small. Nice bie you have in there I really envy of been able to get such a bike :)

I was bigger and had the money I would be all over it.

:(

saab2000
04-04-2011, 08:43 PM
Jim / Saab2000 - do you need a new spare bike in Pfafflikon?!?!

Boy, am I close.... But I can't do it. I just brought my spare Swiss bike back to the US. you never know when it'll be replaced... But not now. Looks quite unique what you've got though.

saab2000
04-04-2011, 08:50 PM
That Redline is gonna work for a while I think. Not as the makers intended but a killer winter bike. For now!

d_douglas
04-05-2011, 05:14 AM
Hey Jim:

I just figured that I would ask as it was a prefect opportunity IF you needed a bike -

I went for a ride on the weekend and was shocked to cross paths with someone on the exact same bike! I had never seen one before and suddenly, another one cruises by me. His was smallish and had a chromed fork and 9spd Shimano (a travesty in my opinion ;) ), but the exact same paint and everything.

There is something beautiful about euro airbrushed paintjobs!!

binxnyrwarrsoul
04-05-2011, 07:40 AM
A lugged steel LOOK. Are they as rare as I think they are? Sweet bike.

d_douglas
04-05-2011, 08:41 AM
Only one ever made!!

OK, that's not true, I saw it's little brother this weekend.

Anyhoo, yes, not so common and handmade by Billato for that extra punch.

You need it :).

saab2000
04-05-2011, 08:54 AM
Actually, they also made a small number of 753 lugged frames in the 1980s. I knew someone who owned one and rode with him many times, so I can confirm this. The were white and were ridden in the 1986 TdF by the La Vie Claire team. They are even more rare.

ultraman6970
04-05-2011, 10:37 AM
I have seen loke 4 of those at ebay. In a matter of fact one was being sold maybe a month ago and the item was in asia, taiwan or something like that.