PDA

View Full Version : Campy electronic looks 2 B almost ready?

jeduardo
04-04-2011, 10:32 AM
Cycling News posted some pics of Movistar's team rigs, @ Flanders, depicting a more finished looking version Campy's electronic group. They reported that Eurobike 2011 may be the official release date for the consumer version?
After "fooling around" with a couple of Di2 bikes, and understanding the advantages of electronic shifting, I can't wait to get my paws on the refined Campagnolo offering.
Is anyone else in the same electronically-giddy boat?

Joachim
04-04-2011, 10:34 AM
Can't wait! Will probably hold off until my Record and SR 4-year warranty expires :)

Grant McLean
04-04-2011, 10:58 AM
I don't want anything electronic on my bike.
An iPhone in my jersey pocket is about as close as I'm getting
to this stuff.

-g

thwart
04-04-2011, 11:05 AM
Keeping up with the Jones's...

I agree with Grant, I like my bikes mechanical, especially when you factor in how well the current stuff works, the significant additional cost, and most importantly the added complexity (will you still be able to do all your troubleshooting?).

But it'll sell, just as Di2 has sold for Shimano.

Elefantino
04-04-2011, 11:08 AM
Count me out.

I hate lime-green hood covers.

hankchong
04-04-2011, 11:14 AM
Can it shift across more than one gear at a time?

Joachim
04-04-2011, 11:20 AM
Keeping up with the Jones's...

To each his own I guess...

Germany_chris
04-04-2011, 11:24 AM
how about some stainless steel or Ti hardware too much rust for something that will cost a FORTUNE.

rePhil
04-04-2011, 11:32 AM
I assume it's still in the prototype stage. I would love to have it but hate to pay for it.

how about some stainless steel or Ti hardware too much rust for something that will cost a FORTUNE.

weiwentg
04-04-2011, 11:33 AM
very bling, but I'm not made of money and I'll stick with the wired for the time being. I'm actually still on 10s.

Pete Serotta
04-04-2011, 11:44 AM
I was doing some technology work for mavic when they were located in West Chester PA> It worked well but even back then it was not to my needs....

The DI2 from Shimano works well(per folks who are Cat 2 racers) but again I like the mechanical ones (Dur Ace) better (I am a CAT 20 :cool: )

Campy electronic should be nice but not for me...I have seen more folks recently getting DI2 and nothing but rave reviews.

These electronic might be the future but I am a guy who rode when 5 speed casette CAMPY was the norm, than 6 speed, then the new Shimano stuff.......That was 20 years ago and times do change........

THe correct ones are the ones that put a smile on your face :D and calls you to get on the bike every chance you have - - still with a SMILE

Joachim
04-04-2011, 11:49 AM
My cat1 teammate loves his Di2, but I still love the feel of my Record. I wonder if there will be electronic Chorus (a la electronic Ultegra) or only in 2013 (if electronic comes out in 2012)?

AngryScientist
04-04-2011, 11:59 AM
i'll be passing on electronic components for many many years.

unless i've got a sponsorship, or a ton of disposable income, i want all of my parts to be relatively inexpensive to replace and fairly interchangeable.

no matter how good the stuff works, when you lay the bike down in a hairy corner and the RD snaps off, it all breaks. i'd rather pull one off another bike or come here and buy one used than needing to sell a kidney to buy a new one.

maybe i'll change my mind as the stuff gets more and more widely available and used and the price comes down, but for now, the mechanical stuff just works so good, there is no reason to change.

GuyGadois
04-04-2011, 12:05 PM
I can't wait for the alloy version!

:rolleyes:

SPOKE
04-04-2011, 12:10 PM
My cat1 teammate loves his Di2, but I still love the feel of my Record. I wonder if there will be electronic Chorus (a la electronic Ultegra) or only in 2013 (if electronic comes out in 2012)?

Electronic trickle?

Elefantino
04-04-2011, 12:47 PM
I can't wait for the alloy version!

:rolleyes:
POTD :D

Joachim
04-04-2011, 12:50 PM
Electronic trickle?

That is funny on so many levels.... :)

dd74
04-04-2011, 12:59 PM
What's happening with bikes and electronic shifting reminds of what happened with cars and paddle/automatic shifting. Effectively, the death of the manual transmission.

keevon
04-04-2011, 01:23 PM
It looked better in 2003:

http://www.campyonly.com/images/rumors/2003/cannondale_electronic/photo1.jpg

http://www.campyonly.com/images/rumors/2003/cannondale_electronic/photo4.jpg

http://www.campyonly.com/images/rumors/2003/cannondale_electronic/photo5.jpg

AngryScientist
04-04-2011, 01:26 PM
What's happening with bikes and electronic shifting reminds of what happened with cars and paddle/automatic shifting. Effectively, the death of the manual transmission.

just for the record, the manual transmission is alive and well in my house, including the new 2011 vehicle.

Germany_chris
04-04-2011, 03:00 PM
I'm with him two manuals at my house..on another note paddle shifting is objectively better, e-bike shifting not so much

bkboom123
04-04-2011, 03:04 PM
Campy had electronic shifting in 2003?

Rada
04-04-2011, 04:06 PM
Hope it does not trickle to far. It's nothing I would ever want.

dd74
04-04-2011, 06:30 PM
..on another note paddle shifting is objectively better,
Yeah, VW has proven such with their clutchless shifting. In fact, it's been said it is impossible for humans to shift as accurately and quickly with the same VW that has a manual transmission.

I also have a manual. I can't see the fun in paddle shifting.

Electronic bike drivetrains - hmmm...I'm not quite sold on those. I'll try it, but not at the $2,600+ Shimano wants for electronic Ultegra, which is the same as standard Ultegra, only battery powered.

Grant McLean
04-04-2011, 06:50 PM

yes, a few Saeco riders tested it for most of the season.
At the time, it was decided the market had not much interest
in it, and campagnolo kept it in development. a couple of seasons
later, they again had prototypes during spring classic races, but
then decided to introduce 11 speed instead, which was the number
one requested feature from their pro riders. (according to campagnolo)

It seems that in the marketplace, it was the right decision for Campagnolo.
The introduction of Super Record 11 was a huge hit. Dura Ace electronic is
a fantastic product, but I believe the actual commercial success of it has
been mixed, at best. Sram and Campagnolo continue to take market share
from shimano, Di2 has done nothing to prevent that from happening.

-g

ultraman6970
04-04-2011, 07:02 PM

Yes and mavic did it way before than that. Mavic was a disaster but it was cool. Campagnolo had been playing with this for a few years already but it never saw the light.

Japanese maybe did this in a few months (doubt there is too much time between the concept and the production) because they want to recover their R&D money quick!!!!! That's why i was expecting to shimano to not being as perfect as it is, japanese goes out to the market quick and then fix the stuff with further generations but looks like shimano got it right the 1st time.

Now campy who knows what it's going to do, there is not much of details of how the shifting works, who knows if there is an automatic trimming as shimano does, battery life who knows either. Obviously campy has more time to get this right but who knows.

What I would love to see is another brand like token, microshift or even miche or mavic to come up with a 600 bucks group compatible with 8,9,10 shimano or campagnolo and 11 campagnolo, all in the same package and set with just a little dim or switch. That would kill everybody big time.

Grant McLean
04-04-2011, 07:08 PM
Japanese maybe did this in a few months (doubt there is too much time between the concept and the production) because they want to recover their R&D money quick!!!!! That's why i was expecting to shimano to not being as perfect as it is, japanese goes out to the market quick and then fix the stuff with further generations but looks like shimano got it right the 1st time..

Shimano has had electronic shifting in the market for about 12 years i think
since the late 90's.

Look up "auto d" and the nexus group.

-g

ergott
04-04-2011, 07:09 PM
I'm due for a Richard Sachs in about 5-6 years. You bet I'm getting the latest offering from Campagnolo for that bike and if it happens to be electric, then so be it.

I haven't made the leap.

ergott
04-04-2011, 07:11 PM
.on another note paddle shifting is objectively better,

When I have a Ferrari that I can race on the track I will agree. Until then, it's all manual for me. I'm happy being a few tenths slower for the ability to row through the gears.

oldpotatoe
04-04-2011, 07:28 PM
Cycling News posted some pics of Movistar's team rigs, @ Flanders, depicting a more finished looking version Campy's electronic group. They reported that Eurobike 2011 may be the official release date for the consumer version?
After "fooling around" with a couple of Di2 bikes, and understanding the advantages of electronic shifting, I can't wait to get my paws on the refined Campagnolo offering.
Is anyone else in the same electronically-giddy boat?

BIG IF as to whether or not they release it. VERY expensive to make(and buy) and the 'market' is ill defined.

'Advantages' of electronic shifting is only one, consistent shifting over time. NOT lighter, not faster. Lots of $ for that(as long as the battery is charged).

oldpotatoe
04-04-2011, 07:29 PM
Can it shift across more than one gear at a time?

No..neither Di2 or SRi11

Aaron O
04-04-2011, 07:30 PM
I'm due for a Richard Sachs in about 5-6 years. You bet I'm getting the latest offering from Campagnolo for that bike and if it happens to be electric, then so be it.

I haven't made the leap.

Which is precisely what I'd do. I can't wait to see it.

I'm too cheap to end up with the electronic Campy, but I'd LOVE to try it. I'll probably end up with it in 10-20 years on a used bike. Setting up my SR 11sp was the last insanely expensive build I'll do (or so I say now).

Louis
04-04-2011, 07:32 PM
'Advantages' of electronic shifting is only one, consistent shifting over time.

You left out the Bling factor. Very important to some who want the latest and greatest.

oldpotatoe
04-04-2011, 07:32 PM
yes, a few Saeco riders tested it for most of the season.
At the time, it was decided the market had not much interest
in it, and campagnolo kept it in development. a couple of seasons
later, they again had prototypes during spring classic races, but
then decided to introduce 11 speed instead, which was the number
one requested feature from their pro riders. (according to campagnolo)

It seems that in the marketplace, it was the right decision for Campagnolo.
The introduction of Super Record 11 was a huge hit. Dura Ace electronic is
a fantastic product, but I believe the actual commercial success of it has
been mixed, at best. Sram and Campagnolo continue to take market share
from shimano, Di2 has done nothing to prevent that from happening.

-g

I LIKE the way you think!! Altho I think sram has taken market share from shimano, not so much Campagnolo.

ultraman6970
04-04-2011, 07:50 PM
I LIKE the way you think!! Altho I think sram has taken market share from shimano, not so much Campagnolo.

+1

ultraman6970
04-04-2011, 07:51 PM
Did even know about this thing :)

QUOTE=Grant McLean]Shimano has had electronic shifting in the market for about 12 years i think
since the late 90's.

Look up "auto d" and the nexus group.

-g[/QUOTE]

d_man16
04-05-2011, 05:01 AM
but is it really more functional than cables? I operate on the student budget and by the K.I.S.S. method it seems to work well at this point in time.

If this technology is superior its news to me. But again it does look pretty cool esp with the green hoods