PDA

View Full Version : glass! - where does all the glass come from??

AngryScientist
04-04-2011, 10:03 AM
rant:

seriously! another flat yesterday from glass! the streets in some of the areas i need to ride through to get to other areas are littered with glass. where does it all come from. do inconsiderate jack asses really throw bottles out of car windows?

between the pot holes, road cracks, expansion ridges from the harsh, cold winter and the glass littered everywhere this spring, my wheels/tires dont seem to have a chance.

:end rant. that is all.

johnnymossville
04-04-2011, 10:08 AM
I often wonder what makes a person throw a bottle or any other trash out of their car window. It's just so damn lame.

AngryScientist
04-04-2011, 10:13 AM
I often wonder what makes a person throw a bottle or any other trash out of their car window. It's just so damn lame.

i would love to catch someone doing that, and launch the bottle right back into their car.

dawgie
04-04-2011, 10:22 AM
Slobs, generally speaking, but sometimes the glass comes from broken headlights and tail-lights in car collisions.

benb
04-04-2011, 10:34 AM
Nobody told you that it's a varsity sport these days? Throwing glass out of the car window is the hot new activity since there is more of a crackdown on underage drinking.. they drive around and throw the empties out the window to destroy the evidence.

rugbysecondrow
04-04-2011, 10:44 AM
Nobody told you that it's a varsity sport these days? Throwing glass out of the car window is the hot new activity since there is more of a crackdown on underage drinking.. they drive around and throw the empties out the window to destroy the evidence.
Youths might know it's wrong but not truly "get it". When I was a youth, I must admit to tossing a bottle or two.

Paul

FlashUNC
04-04-2011, 10:51 AM
You've never heard of the glass fairy?

Idris Icabod
04-04-2011, 11:00 AM
You've never heard of the glass fairy?

Does she hang about with that Screw Fairy b!tch, she got me last week on my commute home with a long bugger that went through the side wall and the rim. I need to have words with her!

benb
04-04-2011, 12:06 PM
Is there a nailgun fairy too? One of the worst flats I had would make you think Contractors think it increases profit margins if they fire nails out of the back of the truck between jobs.

FlashUNC
04-04-2011, 12:07 PM
Does she hang about with that Screw Fairy b!tch, she got me last week on my commute home with a long bugger that went through the side wall and the rim. I need to have words with her!

Job cuts have consolidated the Glass and Screw fairy positions into one. Now its simply the "stuff that will ruin a tire" fairy. That doesn't include sharp rocks and other natural hazards. Those are still handled out of the Department of Earthly Pains in the Rear.

Saw a guy blow a tire at the bottom of Pilot Mountain this weekend while doing some mountain repeats. Thankfully he was on a flatter section just before the visitors' center parking lot. Having that happen on a steeper section could have been disastrous.

William
04-04-2011, 12:14 PM
She's a bad tire fairy. Bad, naughty, naughty tire fairy.... :no:

http://www.makethelist.net/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/tiregirl.jpg

William ;) :D

572cv
04-04-2011, 12:58 PM
as noted in other posts, bottles , otherwise known as "evidence".I find said evidence on my grass, often, as I am about 1 beer away from the nearest quickstop. And now a few words from Homer Simpson:

http://toastsandcrumbs.blogspot.com/2009/06/homer-simpsons-beer-song.html

deechee
04-04-2011, 03:57 PM
porcelain too.

I had one tire sliced by some sink/toilet garbage. People are really lazy about cleaning up after themselves.

Yesterday too, I picked up a chevy mudflap that I guess fell off a rusty car and so all the screws were pointed upwards towards an ususpecting tire to come.

mpetry
04-04-2011, 03:58 PM
a lot of glass comes from recycling bins left at the curb for the weekly pickup.

Having said that I too am appalled at the amount of trash chucked out the windows of cars.

Mark Petry
Bainbridge Island, WA

seatown7
04-04-2011, 04:25 PM
I am a cop...have been with a major crimes "Special Ops" group for 4 years now. I'm not out hassling you for going 7 mph over the speed limit but I am proud that I will use my unmarked police Charger to pull over anyone tossing anything out a vehicle...or harassing a cyclist. Both are extremely gratifying even though it isn't exactly what I dreamed of doing while studying in the academy.

Lifelover
04-04-2011, 05:19 PM
I am a cop...have been with a major crimes "Special Ops" group for 4 years now. I'm not out hassling you for going 7 mph over the speed limit but I am proud that I will use my unmarked police Charger to pull over anyone tossing anything out a vehicle...or harassing a cyclist. Both are extremely gratifying even though it isn't exactly what I dreamed of doing while studying in the academy.

Rant on:
Maybe you should ticket all the cops I see throwing cigarette butts out the windows.
Rant off:

Truth is I have not seen this lately. I suspect you guys are no longer allowed to smoke in your car.

Back to glass

Everyone knows that it is the fat, lazy people in big SUVs that throw all the glass. Chances are they are republicans as well.

avalonracing
04-04-2011, 06:17 PM

Dude, cops are people too, I have friends who are cops (and firefighters) and I definitely respect what they do. It can be an amazingly tough job. But at the same time I'm not likely to call a cop a "hero" just for putting on the uniform. Except for you. :beer: If I were a cop, be it traffic or SWAT, I would always find time to bust (or scare the hell out of) anyone throwing trash out the window. Thank you and please, please, please keep doing that. (Yes, I am serious).

biker72
04-04-2011, 06:52 PM
Here in the bicycle unfriendly Dallas area I've had glass thrown at me. I seem to have the most problem with guys in pickup trucks.

johnnymossville
04-04-2011, 06:55 PM
Jinxed me! I just got done with my ride and after 2.5 hours I got a flat less than a quarter mile from home. Guess what it was? Glass.

oliver1850
04-04-2011, 08:01 PM

jwb96
04-04-2011, 08:20 PM
The laziness is not being able to get the bottle off the road. I'm riding on rural roads with about 2 feet of shoulder. Is it so hard to get your damn bottle past it? ***?!

And do you find it's more often clear or brown glass? Because in my area, it's not the littering that should be the main concern. It's the drivers who apparently are downing a few longnecks on the back roads and tossing the empties. I'd much rather have them get pulled over for operating with an open container - much higher penalty.

seatown7
04-05-2011, 01:19 AM
Rant on:
Maybe you should ticket all the cops I see throwing cigarette butts out the windows.
Rant off:

I'm on the left coast...there isn't a single cop out of the 85 I work with who smokes...but a few chew tabaccy. We're more likely to be found eating at Whole Foods than Dunkin' Donuts...

d_man16
04-05-2011, 05:11 AM
certainly someone with an agenda is causing me flat tires too.

It's really bad here in Michigan from all the snow and ice that has piled up (the snow plows push the dirt nails and glass all in the edge of the right hand lane of the the road.....prime riding real estate huh? :crap: ) all winter long, until the street sweeps and hot patching crews come by.

wasfast
04-05-2011, 08:04 AM
My highly unscientific data gathering shows far more clear than brown glass. Many years ago, the soda industry switched to PET bottles and aluminum cans. Along comes a new generation of drinks, specifically Snapple, in clear glass containers and suddenly glass on the roads goes up significantly. Not sure if that's "retro", just being different, or it's actually more green to recycle it. In any case, I'd strongly prefer not giving the kids anymore ammo to throw out the windows of vehicles.

Climb01742
04-05-2011, 08:26 AM

thank you (seriously).
as the weather gets nicer, two things seem to spring up beside the roads...spring flowers and 'dead soldiers'. makes you wish they only sold beer in cans. but what's most sobering and frightening is, judging by the number of beer cans/bottles tossed roadside, a *****load of folks are drinking and driving. :crap:

saab2000
04-05-2011, 08:37 AM

When I was in Florida a number of years ago some kids decided to throw some oranges at our group ride on a Sunday morning. Bad decision! One of our group was a cop and he pulled over and called his buddies from the Sheriff's dept. Game on! They came out in force as there was not much else going on, found the van in question and those guys were in a heap of trouble. The fun part was that they were all about 16 or 17 and their parents were all called. People gave statements and their parents were P.O.d in a huge way about the whole thing.

One of the best group rides I've ever been on.

Moral of the story? Don't throw things out of your car at a cop. It will end badly for you.

We have a cop as a regular on our group rides in MI as well. After several consecutive weeks of harassment by the same D-bag in a Corvette he decided to pay him a visit the next morning. The harassment stopped.

chad_k
04-05-2011, 10:05 AM
A friend of mine said that the open container law is the biggest reason bottles are thrown out of cars. In the old days, a dude could leave the bottle in the car after finishing his drink. Nowadays, gotta get rid of it.

I believed him.

Plum Hill
04-05-2011, 10:37 AM
Container deposit law would help immensely.

I live in the metro St. Louis are. It'll never happen here with A-B/Inbev around.

A number of years ago I noticed an abnormally high amount of broken glass on the shoulder of a local state highway. It was more prevalent one day a week. Turned out is was coming out of the first-generation recycling truck that picked up on that day.

While not glass, I noticed shiny little oval bits on another highway. Turned out they were punchings from industrial support strut. The factory was in the next town.
For lack of a magnet I could have gone into the scrap metal business.

vjp
04-05-2011, 11:03 AM
i would love to catch someone doing that, and launch the bottle right back into their car.

Years ago I was driving my wife to work and we stopped at a red light. A car pulled up in the lane to our right (same direction) and the driver flicked his cigarette out his window, over the hood of our car and it lands at the feet of a pedestrian in the cross walk. The pedestrian picked up the lit butt, stepped between our cars and flicked it back inside the car!

It was awesome!! Until they started fighting like a scene from a "Bourne" movie, you know, like for your life. Scary.

rugbysecondrow
04-05-2011, 12:14 PM
Years ago I was driving my wife to work and we stopped at a red light. A car pulled up in the lane to our right (same direction) and the driver flicked his cigarette out his window, over the hood of our car and it lands at the feet of a pedestrian in the cross walk. The pedestrian picked up the lit butt, stepped between our cars and flicked it back inside the car!

It was awesome!! Until they started fighting like a scene from a "Bourne" movie, you know, like for your life. Scary.

I was almost hit by a car at a four way stop, was so pissed I chucked my open can of soda into the car and hit the driver with it. He was pissed, but not as pissed as me. He drove off.