PDA

View Full Version : mcgill university ?

Fixed
04-04-2011, 09:40 AM
my son got in to mcgill's music school as a piano performance major .with a nice scholarship he also got into all the fla . schools honors and scholarships in piano performance . north western he got in the journalism school ( he is a good writer ) he got into vandy "s music school but wait listed in the main school . i was hoping for f.s.u. since they are within driving distance and they have a very good music school there too .. he has heart set on going out of state . mrs fixed and i will be very happy for him but also sad that we will not be able to visit him very often .. anyone been to mcgill ?
cheers

CNY rider
04-04-2011, 09:43 AM
How's his French?

Fixed
04-04-2011, 09:46 AM
he speaks spanish ,russian he learns very fast . french he will learn he needs to know it for music history
cheers

cdn_bacon
04-04-2011, 09:49 AM
I've partied there. But seriously I have had numerous high school (smart) friends that attended. And have all come out on top with great jobs in their chosen fields.

Congratulations to your son. It's a fine academic school. And where the school is located in Montreal is quite a nice environment. Very cultural.

But if you need to know where the hip bars are.... :no:

http://www.mcgill.ca/community/thingstodo

With no vehicle (MTL is HELL with one way streets) there are plenty of buses (and bike shops) locally. Winter is cold, but you can skate on the Rideau canal to get to class)

I prefer it to Toronto, it's the half-English/Half-French Montrealers speak that is like fingernails on a chalkboard. Further North in Quebec you get, the more French is influenced.( you may not actually get service unless you can speak French)

CNY rider
04-04-2011, 09:50 AM
I've always known McGill for its prestigious medical school.
Montreal would be a fantastic place to spend a few years methinks.

AngryScientist
04-04-2011, 09:52 AM
I've partied there.

me too.

Grant McLean
04-04-2011, 09:53 AM
You don't really need much/any French to get by in Montreal these days.

It's a great place to go to school, lots of things going for it,
but also very cold and snowy, coming from south Florida would be a shock!

-g

zap
04-04-2011, 09:54 AM
One of the top schools in the world though I know nothing about the music program there.

If there are any CIA type blokes there, tell your son to run really fast.

Really, it's a good move-closest thing to Europe in NA.

Joachim
04-04-2011, 09:57 AM
Most major international universities know that English is required for a strong academic foundation (especially research universities). McGill is no exception and is considered 50/50 French/English (at least their research is).

firerescuefin
04-04-2011, 09:57 AM
As a Proud Gator Alum...it pains me to say this....but off to Canada young Fixed. Mcgill is a great school and what a different (in my mind better) experience to go and live in an international city. Hardly Tallahassee or Gainesville.

thegunner
04-04-2011, 10:00 AM
i dunno if this matters to your son, but mcgill has a sick cycling team (and races in one of the best collegiate conferences imho - the ECCC)

Black Dog
04-04-2011, 10:03 AM
Great school, totally ivy league class. My wife did an undergrad and professional degree there. It is an English school and Montreal is very bi-lingual. Great city with a very euro feel to it and a very vibrant culture. By the way, you can not skate to class on the Rideau Canal as it is located in Ottawa, 200km away.

monkeypants
04-04-2011, 10:06 AM
my son got in to mcgill's music school as a piano performance major .with a nice scholarship he also got into all the fla . schools honors and scholarships in piano performance . north western he got in the journalism school ( he is a good writer ) he got into vandy "s music school but wait listed in the main school . i was hoping for f.s.u. since they are within driving distance and they have a very good music school there too .. he has heart set on going out of state . mrs fixed and i will be very happy for him but also sad that we will not be able to visit him very often .. anyone been to mcgill ?
cheers

Congrats to your son. I spent (too) many years doing my graduate work at McGill although not in music. However, I've heard they have a fantastic music program. I even dropped in on a few of their free jazz concerts the music department offered.

I think the best thing about McGill is its campus (architecture) and that it's in Montreal. Montreal is a fun city. Lots to do, easy-going, and not terribly expensive (although that's probably changing). Plus it's home to the greatest bagel bakery in the world: St-Viateur bagel :).

akelman
04-04-2011, 10:06 AM
I was born in Montreal and almost went to McGill for my undergraduate studies. It's widely regarded as a top university not just in Canada but throughout the world. Once again, you should be extremely proud of your son.

That said, I would add a few caveats (not warnings, exactly, so much as addenda). First, music schools are almost always self-contained. Which is to say, I have little doubt that it's a wonderful program, but I don't actually know that for certain, as there isn't a great deal of interplay between the performing arts curriculum and the liberal arts curriculum at most universities.

Second, McGill is much more of a commuter school than its counterparts among the elite American universities. "Commuter school" on this side of the border might have negative connotations for some people, and that's really not how I mean it. Instead, it's just a matter of cultural difference: many more Canadians go to university relatively close to home and then go home on weekends. How will this affect your son's experience? Is this true for the music school? I honestly don't know. But it might be something to ask about.

Third and finally, it's really cold in Montreal. You and your son probably know that already. But knowing it as an abstraction and experiencing it are two very different things. The transition from Florida to Montreal will be extreme. Make sure your son is ready for that. Quite likely, given his high level of achievement, he'll be perfectly content going to museums and studying during the winter (staying indoors, in other words). But if he's someone who likes to be outside, and he's not willing to bundle up, it could be a problem.

On the other hand, if he likes the cold, Montreal is one of the most beautiful and culturally rich cities in North America. McGill is located upon Mount Royal (thus the city's name) and backs to a huge and beautiful park. Montreal is filled with outstanding restaurants, lovely cafes and bookstores, excellent museums and music venues, and world-class architecture. It has a very European feel and a cosmopolitan culture. (But watch out for the drivers!) And yes, if he's going to go there, he should begin learning French as soon as he can. It's not at all impossible to get by without French in Montreal -- and certainly not at all difficult at McGill -- but one's experience of the city would be greatly impoverished without learning its first language.

Again, congratulations to you and to him. It sounds like he's earned a number of excellent choices for himself. I suspect, as is often the case in these situations, he can't really go wrong.

tele
04-04-2011, 10:07 AM
me too.
X3

I also financially helped a local "dancer" get through Mcgill. Montreal is a great town.

thwart
04-04-2011, 10:11 AM
McGill is located upon Mount Royal (thus the city's name) I learn something here every day. Sometimes it's even useful stuff. Thanks, Ari.

akelman
04-04-2011, 10:18 AM
I learn something here every day. Sometimes it's even useful stuff. Thanks, Ari.

I'm not much use in the tattoo threads, but my storehouse of somewhat obscure knowledge about North American universities: let me show you it.

phcollard
04-04-2011, 10:19 AM
I can see McGill from my window office right now :)

I have a friend who graduated there (cello) and she's very very good. She works full time as a professional musician now. Some of the teachers at McGill she really disliked but they were exceptions.

Montreal is - of course - a fantastic city! Your son will need to learn some French even if from what I know McGill is 100% English speaking. But hey it's Québec here. If you don't speak French you're missing a lot.

When you come see your son drop me a note and we'll go out for a beer or wine Fixed.

achurch
04-04-2011, 10:27 AM
I've been here for 5 years and would be happy to talk with you (or your son). shoot me a PM and I will send you my phone number.
The city is great. The "commuter" campus comment refers to most students living off campus (versus campus housing) and being part of city life as well as university life. In contrast I did my undergrad at Cornell and there was only university life--with students required to live on campus for at least 1 year and even "off campus" housing was mostly all contiguous with university property and might as well have been on campus. I think the city aspect of the school makes the university experience a lot less insular. Combined with being in Canada (and particularly Quebec Canada) the educational experience of living here will add a significant dimension to the university experience. I find I learn lots just by osmosis (casual conversations, newspapers, etc.) living outside the U.S. I would venture that there is a life changing aspect of living outside one's country that (if you are interested in) would be a bonus of McGill that has nothing to do with the school itself.

Not knowing French is not a problem. You can learn it (or not) depending on your interest. The music facility is brand new and the program seems to have a very good reputation.

cheers

Andy

PS The winters are cold, but I cycled at least 3 days week outdoors starting January 1st after taking December off to rest and recover. If you venture this way, would be happy to host you and the family for a night or two and, if you can ride a 55/56 top tube, have a fixed you can borrow, and enough geared bikes we can all do some riding together.

phcollard
04-04-2011, 10:29 AM
i dunno if this matters to your son, but mcgill has a sick cycling team (and races in one of the best collegiate conferences imho - the ECCC)

Oh yeah I forgot this one! I sometime ride on the Gilles Villeneuve F1 circuit... excellent training and perfect asphalt... last summer I was passed by a guy in full McGill kit like if I was going backwards.

btulloch
04-04-2011, 10:35 AM
With no vehicle (MTL is HELL with one way streets) there are plenty of buses (and bike shops) locally. Winter is cold, but you can skate on the Rideau canal to get to class)

I prefer it to Toronto, it's the half-English/Half-French Montrealers speak that is like fingernails on a chalkboard. Further North in Quebec you get, the more French is influenced.( you may not actually get service unless you can speak French)

You are confusing Montreal and Ottawa, the canal is in Ottawa, both are plenty cold, the bus system in Ottawa is fantastic, the transit in Montreal isn't bad but as far as going to McGill everything important is within walking distance or a metro ride.

I am currently at McGill as I write this, and on the "Sick Cycling Team" - thanks Gunner! The ECCC is wicked, we are actually kind of a guest in that league, we can't accumulate points of compete in USAC nationals (Even American citizens attending McGill) but we still have a kick-ass time and are well known for our fashionable kits.

My experience is probably very different from that of a music student, as I am studying towards my master's in Mechanical Engineering, but the "commuter school" that Akelman mentions is a very big detractor for me which I realized only once I got here. A lot of students are from the Montreal area and live at home even during the week, which was a big change coming from my Undergrad experience at University of Waterloo where the town was almost built around the University and there seemed to be much more of a community.

All that being said, being part of a major metropolitan area, especially one culturally diverse such as Montreal could be very beneficial in terms of having access to a much larger community, and especially this might be true for students in performance. There are so many musicians in the city, many gigs to be had, it could be a great platform to launch from. I don't know first hand how the music department is, but I could put you in touch with 2 students I know in performance for Jazz guitar and Viola. PM if you're interested in that.

Congrats to your son regardless!

zennmotion
04-04-2011, 10:37 AM
I am a McGill graduate (Geology 1989). I took a few music classes (very little time for anything outside a VERY demanding science program) and played Cello in the orchestra. McGill is a great school, but not for everyone. PM me.

Hardlyrob
04-04-2011, 11:42 AM
This place never ceases to amaze me!

Pete Serotta
04-04-2011, 11:48 AM
I've always known McGill for its prestigious medical school.
Montreal would be a fantastic place to spend a few years methinks.

One of my neighbors went to McGill. It is a first class school. French speaking is much better to learn if doing there..... And also he will have some "warm" jackets for the w-i-n-t-e-r

Glad to see he is doing so well.

PETE

zennmotion
04-04-2011, 12:14 PM
Can we all have a moment of respectful silence for the Montreal velodrome? (RIP sniff...) Tuesday and Thursday free for all nights every week on the 48 deg boards all winter, screw the trainer-

TMB
04-04-2011, 12:23 PM
One of the things that always surprises me about Montreal is the in-line skaters.

It's big.

I know it is and yet every time I go there I am amazed to see how many people are out on skates. A guy passed me on the F1 circuit one time. I was on a rented bike, he was on speed skates.

achurch
04-04-2011, 12:37 PM
Have had speedskaters jump on wheels and stick into the low 40s. Simply amazing. Watching them train with a group of 5 or 6 is pretty cool too. They skate a foot or two behind each other--which means their strides overlap a lot.
Very cool to watch. The numbers have been on a steady increase the last 4 years.

Fixed
04-04-2011, 01:09 PM
this is sounding better al the time drinks and a bike to use .. i may go with him . i will be visiting him often but not as much as mrs fixed she is going to have a real hard time away from our only child ..
thanks guys for calming a nervous dad ..
cheers

zap
04-04-2011, 03:08 PM
snip

(But watch out for the drivers!)

Ha

I grew up in Montreal (left when Rene Lesveque brought Montreal to it's knees though the city has since recovered some) and learned to drive there. Tapping pedestrians at busy intersections with your motorcar was not an uncommon sight when I was there.

TMB
04-04-2011, 03:15 PM
Have had speedskaters jump on wheels and stick into the low 40s. Simply amazing. Watching them train with a group of 5 or 6 is pretty cool too. They skate a foot or two behind each other--which means their strides overlap a lot.
Very cool to watch. The numbers have been on a steady increase the last 4 years.

Only place I've ever been where you walk into a mainline sporting goods store and see a choice of 2 or 3 dozen different skates, and displays of parts, replacement bearings, wheels, etc.

Wild.

Scott Shire
04-04-2011, 03:16 PM
Breakfast at Beauty's
Lunch at Schwartz's
Dinner at Gibby's

All he needs to know, Butch!

It's a world-class school in a SPECTACULAR city. I'd be glad to put him in touch with some great people once he's in town. Wish him congrats -- quite an accomplishment.

deechee
04-04-2011, 03:29 PM
Is McGill's music program that reputable? I know a few graduates of the program, the most successful being a professor at Columbia currently. I also know one who was disenchanted with the music program and quit after a year and is still following his love of music.

As a computer science major, I didn't think the school was particularly special. I would've gotten the same education as my friends at other universities in Montreal. I graduated over ten years ago.

Honestly, knowing the people who graduated med school, I don't have much faith in that program either. Yeah, it weeded out some obvious dumb people, but I also know some people of questionable intellect who are now doctors. I like them as friends but I would never go to them for a medical opinion.

No, you do not need French in Montreal. And if your son does not have the right to work in Canada, he will probably only be able to work through the university (TA, computer lab, phone job etc.) so even more reason not to need French. Of course, if he's taking private music students on the side, he might need French.

Montreal seems cold for some people because its humid. Having had friends from the north west territories, their main complaint is two fold. A) We still go outside when its cold and B)Its humid. Its a bone chilling cold. But if you get the right jacket, you're fine. As a musician, I'm sure your son will take better care of his fingers than other students who don't wear mitts. (I play the violin and know what its like to play with cold fingers.)

I'm not really sure what people mean by commuter school. Yes, I lived at home while I attended, as did most of my friends, but there were also many who moved into the McGill ghetto. Maybe proportionally, there is a large amount of Quebecers at McGill, but its because we pay the lowest tuition anywhere in Canada. I barely paid 2k$ a year in tuition so it makes no sense for Quebec students to go elsewhere.

Summer time is a good time to visit, there are always many, many apartments you can sublet as students go home. Check out craigslist, kijiji and the mcgill classifieds (http://www.mcgill.ca/classified/housing/) And don't judge the buildings by the outside. There are tons of super luxurious apartments in the ghetto. Some look horrible from the outside but inside they're really nice. Mind you, the neighborhood is noisy at night, and even more so in summer.

FYI don't get your hopes up about the F1 track. For the last two years the city has been cracking down on "speeding" and also install these really obnoxious orange barriers to slow people down on/off depending on their mood. PM me if you want to know more about places to ride.

BillG
04-04-2011, 03:30 PM
Breakfast at Beauty's
Lunch at Schwartz's
Dinner at Gibby's

All he needs to know, Butch!

It's a world-class school in a SPECTACULAR city. I'd be glad to put him in touch with some great people once he's in town. Wish him congrats -- quite an accomplishment.

There's more to know! Fairmont and St. Viateur bagels. And don't forget, steak frite at L'Express.

shotojs78
04-04-2011, 03:38 PM
I am a french guy from Quebec Montreal, mcgill is a english school..

and we dont need french in Montreal anymore.. unfortunately

deechee
04-04-2011, 03:41 PM
oh yeah and apartments here go by number of rooms, not square feet. So a 3.5 is 3 rooms plus a bathroom. Many times people will take liberty of calling a large room 2 units. Be careful. Sizes vary wildly.

Gibby's hasn't been in the ghetto in a few years. They moved to the old port. If you want something locals go to: La Banquise (http://www.restolabanquise.com/)

phcollard
04-04-2011, 04:19 PM
Montreal seems cold for some people because its humid.

First time I hear someone saying that. I believe it's pretty dry here in the winter. Summer can be very humid though. But then I have never visited the great north and I am Belgian so I must have very high standards for humidity :D

rustychisel
04-04-2011, 07:57 PM
long range testimonial?

My daughter studied law at McGill for a year on scholarship exchange with Adelaide University, in the 90s. Loved it, had a wonderful time, couldn't speak highly enough of the city, its people, the university

akelman
04-04-2011, 08:06 PM
I'm not really sure what people mean by commuter school. Yes, I lived at home while I attended, as did most of my friends, but there were also many who moved into the McGill ghetto. Maybe proportionally, there is a large amount of Quebecers at McGill, but its because we pay the lowest tuition anywhere in Canada. I barely paid 2k$ a year in tuition so it makes no sense for Quebec students to go elsewhere.

I'm not really sure what you're not really sure about. After expressing your uncertainty, you go on to say that you, along with most of your friends, lived at home while attending McGill. That's the very definition of a commuter school. Then there's this: 7% of McGill undergraduates live on campus. 7%! That's not the case at any elite American university I can think of, which is the group we're talking about for comparison.

Still, that McGill is a commuter school is a mixed bag, I think. Undergraduates there get to know Montreal, which is wonderful, and I suspect that they're often invited back to their friends' families' homes for weekends/holidays. But I imagine it can also be alienating for those students who do live on campus, especially early in one's time at McGill, to have the university become very quiet when classes aren't in session. Again, this isn't the case at most elite American universities, where campus life remains vibrant on weekends.

wc1934
04-04-2011, 08:31 PM
[QUOTE=akelman. Then there's this: 7% of McGill undergraduates live on campus.%!

agree with above and what achurch stated -

things may have changed, but if i remember correctly, campus housing was not available after sophomore year - that meant renting an apartment - buying beds, sofas etc etc and most had to rent year round (paying rent in the summer when you are not even there) - exchange rate probably helps a bit

NHAero
04-04-2011, 08:32 PM
A close friend's daughter graduated McGill a few years ago and loved it.

No one mentioned what a terrific network of bike lanes Montreal has. We were there on a vacation in 2009 and stayed in a B&B on one of the major bike routes. Never moved the car. One day we rode over 25 miles and never left the city.

my culinary recommendation - Au Festin De Babette in the Plateau - the best ice cream confections ever!

TMB
04-04-2011, 08:46 PM
[QUOTE=akelman. Then there's this: 7% of McGill undergraduates live on campus.%!

agree with above and what achurch stated -

things may have changed, but if i remember correctly, campus housing was not available after sophomore year - that meant renting an apartment - buying beds, sofas etc etc and most had to rent year round (paying rent in the summer when you are not even there) - exchange rate probably helps a bit

FYI - Canadian Dollar is at a 4% premium to the US dollar, and forecast to increase.

akelman
04-04-2011, 08:49 PM
Oh, if we're doing food recommendations, Duc de Lorraine has snooty service (unless you order in French), but boasts the best croissants in North America. Having said that, this (http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/748925) suggests that perhaps the ownership has changed, and that the current proprietors are skimping on butter. Alas, we live in a fallen world. Regardless, it's located right next to L'Oratoire St-Joseph (http://www.saint-joseph.org/), which is a very cool spot. Just down the road on Côte-des-Neiges, near the akelman birth site, you'll find an endless array of good restaurants and cafes. And you won't want to miss the Orange Julep (http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.roadsideattractions.ca/orange.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.roadsideattractions.ca/orange.htm&h=259&w=345&sz=18&tbnid=2E6DbG-deExN8M:&tbnh=90&tbnw=120&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dorange%2Bjulep%2Bmontreal%26tbm%3Disc h%26tbo%3Du&zoom=1&q=orange+julep+montreal&usg=__qvFrk0WSViU-oOpPFzrCYwIH8RI=&sa=X&ei=fHSaTaDOJYT2swOlt7WeBA&ved=0CDgQ9QEwBA), if only for the architecture.

achurch
04-04-2011, 09:17 PM
After having attended an insular American University with a great campus life, I think living as part of a real city has far greater benefits. The fact McGill students live in Montreal makes the education better not worse than the American equivalents. Not to mention, Montreal has a great music scene.

akelman
04-04-2011, 09:21 PM
After having attended an insular American University with a great campus life, I think living as part of a real city has far greater benefits. The fact McGill students live in Montreal makes the education better not worse than the American equivalents. Not to mention, Montreal has a great music scene.

Having seen both sides of this coin, I think you're right (not that you were seeking my approval). But I also think it depends, to a very great extent, on the kind of kid we're talking about and also, to a lesser extent, on the kid's expectations going in. If a person is an introvert, prone to feeling alienated in new settings, and expects a quintessentially collegiate experience, a commuter school can be tough sledding. Still and all, when my nephew was choosing between McGill and Oberlin, I tried, for exactly the reasons you cite, to steer him toward McGill. Of course I failed. But that's because kids these days are no damned good!

achurch
04-04-2011, 09:49 PM
Its all about match:-)

nova
04-04-2011, 10:17 PM
Congratulations to your son! I also attend McGill, like btulloch am on the "sick cycling team" and am a floor fellow at one of the residences (most liberal policies in North America).

Pros:

-My experience with the music school is pretty limited but as I'm aware it is the best in the country. It's super intensive, the orchestra is incredible and there are numerous opportunities to play outside of school.
- Huge variety of people on campus
-cycling team has the strongest foundation of any school in Canada ~40 racers, currently having our best year ever in the ECCC.

Cons
-There's a ton of bureaucratic bull???? that takes place, student's are relatively voiceless on anything of substance on campus- but the less you pay attention to it the more you'll probably enjoy it.
-the roads suck.
-the cost of first year, living in residence is really expensive, but necessary to make friends.

deechee
04-04-2011, 11:10 PM
I'm not really sure what you're not really sure about. After expressing your uncertainty, you go on to say that you, along with most of your friends, lived at home while attending McGill. That's the very definition of a commuter school. Then there's this: 7% of McGill undergraduates live on campus. 7%! That's not the case at any elite American university I can think of, which is the group we're talking about for comparison.

Sorry, I guess I need to elaborate on the ghetto. There is tons of housing not even 1 minute from many buildings, and in many cases closer than living on "campus" at the top of the hill. (Yes, there are other buildings.) If you can run to class in your shorts in -10C weather, I don't consider that a "commuter" student. Yes, I lived at home, but I know many who lived in this "ghetto" where they would run to class without a jacket.

When I was at McGill, most people who lived in Montreal were not eligible to live in campus. Add to that fairly few dorm buildings (even at the MacDonald campus) and you have that small percentage. Why would anyone pay premium $ to live at McGill for a tiny dorm room when you can live closer to school for less and live with roommates?

ps. I prefer the croissants at Gascogne. That said, there are tons of great pastry shops in the city each with their specialties. Croissanterie Figaro's rum chocolate is also worth trying. Too many places to try.

akelman
04-04-2011, 11:12 PM
I prefer the croissants at Gascogne.

Next time I'm there!

nova
04-05-2011, 12:46 AM
residence is only for first year students. There are 3000 students in resident and McGill admits something like 6000 per year- something like 99% are from off the island- so residence is virtually only for out of province/ international students. The vast majority of student's then go on to live in the McGill ghetto and plateau. These students ALL walk or ride bikes to school- McGill does not feel like a commuter school, but rather a large university in a large city. Rent is pretty cheap considering central location, expect your son to pay anywhere from $450-650 after first year. There is a sense of apathy throughout mcgill, but that's more to do with montreal, and there being so many options outside of campus for students to partake in.

For locals the experience is pretty different, either living at home or with friends from cegep creates a much different atmosphere and circle of friends then coming in from afar.

hnovack
04-05-2011, 06:48 AM
Having gone to MGill in the mid 70s. It is a large school, but quickly get to know people in your faculty. A no nonsense academic school. A truly international student body, despite being a commuter school. The cold does not really bother you as a young person. You get used to it. I believve it was recently rated in the top 15 Univeristies in the world and Montreal as the third best city to go to college in.

djg
04-05-2011, 07:03 AM
. . .

Montreal seems cold for some people because its humid. . . . .

Er . . . and the sub-freezing temperatures. Great city -- not like anything they have at home. But dude, they're from Florida. It will seem cold in the winter because it will be 30 or 50 or 70 degrees (F) colder than what the kid is used to. I'm not saying that it trumps all, or even that it should be a factor in anybody's decision. Just, really . . .

Fixed
04-05-2011, 08:32 AM
Er . . . and the sub-freezing temperatures. Great city -- not like anything they have at home. But dude, they're from Florida. It will seem cold in the winter because it will be 30 or 50 or 70 degrees (F) colder than what the kid is used to. I'm not saying that it trumps all, or even that it should be a factor in anybody's decision. Just, really . . .
his other choice is north western cold there too .
i was hoping for f.s.u. it would be free for him but he wants to go to an out of state school

cheers great info thanks

djg
04-05-2011, 11:27 AM
his other choice is north western cold there too .
i was hoping for f.s.u. it would be free for him but he wants to go to an out of state school

cheers great info thanks

Chicago is a great town too -- as a city, my favorite in the US (not for the weather; not for the terrain). Serious music resources too, from Classical, starting with the CSO, through . . . well, just about everything.

Fixed
04-05-2011, 12:52 PM
Chicago is a great town too -- as a city, my favorite in the US (not for the weather; not for the terrain). Serious music resources too, from Classical, starting with the CSO, through . . . well, just about everything.
he got in the journalism school at north western not music it is the only school that he wanted to go to that didn't want a live audition ( he got in with music scholarships everywhere he did a live audition) he sent a dvd and he wasn't invited to the music school for some reason . lesson learned always do a live audition
cheers

Ken Robb
04-05-2011, 12:53 PM
Well Butch, you know I'm a Northwestern grad from WAAAAY back so the campus has come a long way with many more amenities today. The journalism school has been highly regarded for many years. I don't know about policy on transferring schools within the university and changing majors but it used to be easy. I started in Arts and Sciences and transferred to the business school with no trouble at all.

I wonder if you can find out what the policy is today so if your son enrolled in J School and later wanted to transfer to Music. Or how many elective classes can he get in Music if he's in the J School?

The campus and Evanston are really nice and Downtown Chicago is an easy El ride from campus. I suppose the winters there feel balmy to someone from Montreal but they will be a revelation to a Florida boy. OTOH one of Leslie's students is a freshman at St. Olaf and another at Yale and both women are doing fine and loving their choices even though they are San Diego -raised

echelon_john
04-05-2011, 12:59 PM
McGill has a kick ass Quidditch team and lots of hot artsy chicks.

Which you'd think wouldn't really go together...

Fixed
04-05-2011, 01:05 PM
i don't think the cold will bother him he is a book worm .. nice if i could get him back on the bike sometime cos he was very good
cheers

Fixed
04-05-2011, 07:26 PM
Well Butch, you know I'm a Northwestern grad from WAAAAY back so the campus has come a long way with many more amenities today. The journalism school has been highly regarded for many years. I don't know about policy on transferring schools within the university and changing majors but it used to be easy. I started in Arts and Sciences and transferred to the business school with no trouble at all.

I wonder if you can find out what the policy is today so if your son enrolled in J School and later wanted to transfer to Music. Or how many elective classes can he get in Music if he's in the J School?

The campus and Evanston are really nice and Downtown Chicago is an easy El ride from campus. I suppose the winters there feel balmy to someone from Montreal but they will be a revelation to a Florida boy. OTOH one of Leslie's students is a freshman at St. Olaf and another at Yale and both women are doing fine and loving their choices even though they are San Diego -raised

he just got a letter today full scholarship to northwestern ..
he is the first kid from his i.b. class to get a chance to go there
cheers to bad it is not music

Marcusaurelius
04-06-2011, 12:16 AM
I really enjoyed my time in Montreal unfortunately U of T had a better classics department so I ended up going there instead. You don't really need to speak french in Montreal but it helps. The Metro is very nice and quiet. The housing costs are very reasonable but as other have said--the summers are a bit humid and the winters are chilly.

I found odd imitations of parisian fashion--amusing.

d_douglas
04-06-2011, 02:30 AM
Does the scholarship determine his academic path? Sadly, I had no scholarships, so I never had that pressure foisted on me ;).

I am a West Coaster Canadian, but have visited Montreal several times and it is a cool city - arguably the best in the country in terms of contemporary culture. If you liken Vancouver (my home) to a big West coast city like Seattle, Toronto similar to NYC, then Montreal doesn't really have a North American equivalent - it's closest camparator would be a European city, which is fun and unique.

My wife went to McGill for two years and loved it. It is a highly respected school far beyond Canadian borders, so feel confident in sending your son there.

My Italian boss here in Switzerland is sending her son there in September as well and is worried that he will party too much, but not worried about his exposure to a great city!

zap
04-06-2011, 09:08 AM
i don't think the cold will bother him he is a book worm .. nice if i could get him back on the bike sometime cos he was very good
cheers

Na, the cold will not be a problem. So many young Quebecois ladies to keep him company....................

Ken Robb
04-06-2011, 10:59 AM
Butch, e-mail sent to you.

BengeBoy
04-06-2011, 11:19 AM
he just got a letter today full scholarship to northwestern ..
he is the first kid from his i.b. class to get a chance to go there
cheers to bad it is not music

Congratulations!

I got my MBA at Northwestern and lived in Evanston for a total of 7 years. Also, my wife taught for a year at the journalism school. Evanston is a great place to live - far enough from Chicago that you feel as if you are in a true "campus" setting, but close enough to Chicago that students can, and do, get into the city easily for a day or evening.

It's my understanding that while students are admitted to each school as undergrads they can transfer from one school to another after they are admitted (for example, it's very tough to get into the engineering school, so some students start in the liberal arts college and transfer later).

I started college as a music major myself and decided pretty quickly to switch majors. One of the things that I found when I got to college is that to succeed as a music major you pretty much had to live in the practice room and/or the school of music 22 hours a day. I loved music, but there was a lot more to the world I wanted to learn as well. I managed to audition into all of the groups I wanted to perform in as a non-major, so I did what I loved (performing) through college while getting an education in another major "on the side."

Sounds like being a "music major" is important to your son, but if he's really interested in the performing and being parts of a vibrant campus arts community, NW might fit as well.

Ken Robb
04-06-2011, 02:14 PM
[QUOTE=BengeBoy]Congratulations!

I got my MBA at Northwestern and lived in Evanston for a total of 7 years. Also, my wife taught for a year at the journalism school. Evanston is a great place to live - far enough from Chicago that you feel as if you are in a true "campus" setting, but close enough to Chicago that students can, and do, get into the city easily for a day or evening.

It's my understanding that while students are admitted to each school as undergrads they can transfer from one school to another after they are admitted (for example, it's very tough to get into the engineering school, so some students start in the liberal arts college and transfer later).

I started college as a music major myself and decided pretty quickly to switch majors. One of the things that I found when I got to college is that to succeed as a music major you pretty much had to live in the practice room and/or the school of music 22 hours a day. I loved music, but there was a lot more to the world I wanted to learn as well. I managed to audition into all of the groups I wanted to perform in as a non-major, so I did what I loved (performing) through college while getting an education in another major "on the side."

Sounds like being a "music major" is important to your son, but if he's really interested in the performing and being parts of a vibrant campus arts community, NW might fit as well.[/QUOTE
This so much like what I sent Butch via email. Maybe it could be true. :)

Fixed
04-06-2011, 02:49 PM
his dream ( and moms for him ) undergrad performance major and study music history ( musicology ) in grad school .. then a university professorship teach and write about music .
ken he has been teaching piano at his old middle school for the last 4 years while he has been going to high school .that is why he wants great academics along with great music..
cheers
i worry for him he is very smart but very shy he has trouble even using the telephone and making friends .. i think mom may have to go with him to school sometimes

Ken Robb
04-06-2011, 03:34 PM
i worry for him he is very smart but very shy he has trouble even using the telephone and making friends .. i think mom may have to go with him to school sometimes

This is a bit surprising for a performing musician. I have seen Leslie's students develop ease in speaking and performing in front of groups through recitals and other performance venues. How does he handle performances in front of live audiences?

zennmotion
04-06-2011, 06:21 PM
his dream ( and moms for him ) undergrad performance major and study music history ( musicology ) in grad school .. then a university professorship teach and write about music .
ken he has been teaching piano at his old middle school for the last 4 years while he has been going to high school .that is why he wants great academics along with great music..
cheers

And this is why I mentioned in my earlier response that McGill is a great school, but not for everyone. My own experience as a shy kid from a small town HS (where I excelled in academics and performing solo cello not a problem BTW) made for a very difficult first couple of years at McGill- I was really stressed out and probably should have transferred. I found McGill's faculty and student environment very difficult to break in to. I only met briefly with an academic advisor only once or twice a year, he never even knew my name. While the cosmopolitan experience of Montreal offsets this to some degree (which takes $$$ to really take advantage of), campus life at McGill can be more of a challenge for a shy kid- easy to feel like an outsider in the beginning. Making friends, networking and building a support network is something your son will need to do on his own without a lot of the help and built-in networks that many more typical schools have. McGill has a large commuter population. Typically, out-of-province undergrads live for a year or two in the dorms that are huge noisy towers more conducive to loud parties than making friends and building community- an important part of the undergrad experience IMO. They are not particularly pleasant living environments which is why students are happy to move off campus in a year or two into an apartment situation. Of course, my experience is decades old now and McGill is not the same place as it was, but I think that much of the campus vibe is the same. A lot depends on the faculty- I started out in the hyper-competitive pre-med program where I found the faculty cold, TA's overworked and unhelpful, and many of my fellow students occasionally even nasty due to the competitive environment (First day, first year Organic Chem in a huge theater seating classroom the prof walks in, writes his name, literally says "call me God, I won't be seeing 30% of you next year). Things got better when I became part of the 30% and moved to the smaller Geology department, I don't know how big the Music dept is, it was pretty small when I was there. I really enjoyed Montreal, am proud to be a McGill grad, but if I could go in the way-back machine to give my young self advice, I would encourage looking at other schools for a better, less stressful undergrad experience. Anyhow, if your son is set on McGill and only McGill (as I was at the time, it was my only application), my advice would be to help him work out a first year action plan for networking, making friends, seeking activities and groups and actively seeking out academic support from day one. PM me if interested in some non-traditional ideas for a healthy, fun, affordable housing experience that you won't find on the web to avoid the dorms. ATMO.

zennmotion
04-06-2011, 06:45 PM
Na, the cold will not be a problem. So many young Quebecois ladies to keep him company....................

Heh. My first local GF lived at home with her parents as a "nice" catholic girl (when at home anyway) in the wastelands of Lachine who kept her under lock and key, she smoked like a chimney, and poured sugar into her Pepsi (which she had a medically-diagnosed addiction to). But she liked me. At the time, it was enough. Manon Trembeault, ou est-tu maintenant?

Fixed
04-06-2011, 07:18 PM
This is a bit surprising for a performing musician. I have seen Leslie's students develop ease in speaking and performing in front of groups through recitals and other performance venues. How does he handle performances in front of live audiences? he did well in his live auditions he got in every music school he auditioned with .
he is good at things rehearsed like performances, he can speak to a large group with a planed idea or script but quick interaction among a small group of strangers can be a problem at (most) times for him
cheers
zennmotion thanks for your thoughts it is mcgill or northwestern he tells me .
i have done everything to get him to go to f.s.u. but he thinks the academics are not what he wants there even though they have a great music program
he thinks his life is doomed if he doesn't go to a top academic school .
i don't get it but i am just a bike beatnik
cheers

mgd
04-06-2011, 07:45 PM
isn't arcade fire from mcgill? they're on a label with superchunk and have a grammy!

SManning
04-07-2011, 07:51 AM
Congrats first to your son on all of his great accomplishments! How wonderful! A music performance school can be very competitive which can make it difficult to make friends, especially as a piano major. Piano majors really don't have the large ensemble experiences that band, orchestra or choir kids have every semester. This is then compounded by the fact that every music student is expected to spend at least 3 hours a day in the practice room. We all leave music school with the ability to play our instruments beautifully, but music majors don't practice interacting with others because we're hanging out with our musical instruments instead. That can make friendships hard! When I left grad school to teach music, I had to learn how to interact with others all over again, it was kind of funny.

All of us can second guess how each school is going to be, but your son really isn't going to know if he made the right choice until he's had about a semester's worth of applied lessons with his professor. His piano professor is super important to his success, even more so than the academic reputation of a university. I can't say that enough! It's really important that he can grown musically with that person because they will be his professor for the next 4 years and will get him ready for that Junior and Senior recital and then on to grad school.

Music school is a phenomenal part of a musician's life. He'll be eating, sleeping and drinking music but he will grow so much, it'll be amazing!