PDA

View Full Version : Any cool Tattoos, especially cycling or bike related?

rugbysecondrow
04-03-2011, 06:22 PM
I am looking into getting another tattoo, but thought I would see what the forum has regards tats, cycling specifically but anything else cool is fun also.

FYI I am thinking about getting something like this. Something about a Joker on a bike that suits me well. :)

Cheers
Paul

paulh
04-03-2011, 06:37 PM
This is a good look.

ckamp
04-03-2011, 08:38 PM
This is a good look.
The tatoo's and baggy jean shirt just dont mix..

kohlboto
04-03-2011, 08:50 PM
How about this?

http://familyride.files.wordpress.com/2010/12/gift-sticker1.jpg?w=200&h=346

EDIT: I'm not computer literate...there should be an image here...not the link (but the link works)

Peter P.
04-03-2011, 09:00 PM
"Cool Tattoos"- an oxymoron if I ever heard one.

Scott Shire
04-03-2011, 09:23 PM
http://images.velodramatic.com/hellyer_avc09/hellyer_avc09-3.jpg

William
04-03-2011, 09:47 PM
We had a good discussion on the subject back in 2005....

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=9469

William

buldogge
04-03-2011, 10:18 PM
^^^ Well, you had a discussion at least. ;)

From that thread, it appears the majority of forumites (posting anyway), have very limited exposure to decent size, quality bodyart!

BTW...Full disclosure, I own a tattoo shop.

We tattoo people of every race, religion, creed AND age. We have straightened out tattoos on gangbanger teenagers at the bequest of a guardian and 80yo grandmothers in memory of their departed husbands.

Sure, people make downright dumb choices all the time...but...

That's your job, to choose wisely...it's our job (your artist's) to do quality work when you decide to take the leap.

It's not for everyone, but trust me there are examples of every "kind" you can imagine that are tattooed both singularly and heavily all around you. People you "know", but don't really know. Doctors, lawyers, teachers, etc. ad nauseum.

Only you can know if it's for you...make sure it's something that means something to you...and run with it...

-Mark in St. Louis

Louis
04-03-2011, 10:29 PM
We had a good discussion on the subject back in 2005....

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=9469

And I still don't have one...

Edit: But I now know where to go if I ever decide to get one.

avalonracing
04-03-2011, 10:39 PM
Only you can know if it's for you...make sure it's something that means something to you...and run with it...

But my question is, why does a tattoo of a dolphin jumping out of the water have meaning for so many college-aged girls?
Oh wait...I know. It's because they are idiots.

buldogge
04-03-2011, 10:59 PM
I take it you haven't met any college aged girls since 1997 or so...

Like everything else in life, it's all about education...we like educated consumers...it's the uneducated ones that choose based on whims or even worse by price!

FWIW...The trend over the last couple of years has definitely been towards more "personal" tattoos, less flash. That doesn't mean we're talking high design though...still plenty of oddball choices being made out there...to that there is no doubt.

-Mark

But my question is, why does a tattoo of a dolphin jumping out of the water have meaning for so many college-aged girls?
Oh wait...I know. It's because they are idiots.

Elefantino
04-04-2011, 06:12 AM
Here (cyclingtattoogallery.blogspot.com) you go.

biker72
04-04-2011, 06:23 AM
"Cool Tattoos"- an oxymoron if I ever heard one.

Agreed.
That said, my daughter has 4 tattoos... :D

avalonracing
04-04-2011, 07:15 AM
I take it you haven't met any college aged girls since 1997 or so...

Can you introduce me to some?

Full disclosure, my wife has a small tattoo on her ankle that she got on her 18th b-day (not a dolphin). She said she was silly and wouldn't do it again. Like any good husband I taunt her relentlessly about it.

vsefiream
04-04-2011, 09:11 AM
My wife and I don't have any tattoos but the car guy in me really likes the dual piston tattoo above. It works for cycling and classic cars as well. Plus it's just too cool. Dunno if I would actually get one at any time but I appreciate the good ones

AngryScientist
04-04-2011, 09:15 AM
My wife and I don't have any tattoos but the car guy in me really likes the dual piston tattoo above. It works for cycling and classic cars as well. Plus it's just too cool. Dunno if I would actually get one at any time but I appreciate the good ones

agree.

oldpotatoe
04-04-2011, 09:29 AM
There is only one-

zap
04-04-2011, 09:45 AM
Be a man=race in a few crits or eff up on a descent.

Otherwise-tats are for young girls, insecure men or you are a member of the Yakuza.

William
04-04-2011, 09:49 AM
Be a man=race in a few crits or eff up on a descent.

Otherwise-tats are for young girls, insecure men or you are a member of the Yakuza.

I thought it was Campy that was..."for young girls, insecure men or former members of the Yakuza".

William :D ;)

William
04-04-2011, 09:58 AM
Hey rugby, I triple dog dare you.....

http://www.galleryoftattoosnow.com/StevieMonieHOSTED/images/gallery/100_0861.jpg

William ;) :D

cdn_bacon
04-04-2011, 10:01 AM
There is only one-

AMEN!

cmg
04-04-2011, 10:08 AM
riding buddy of mine got a cycling tattoo that looks like a 70s logo for the olympics. here's a photoflick of other people that have bike related tats http://www.flickr.com/photos/93537824@N00 the Cinelli logo would be cool

mpetry
04-04-2011, 02:25 PM
I have been thinking about getting a chain ring mark on my inner drive side calf.

http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images_root/images/photos/000/342/209/chainringcalf_crop_340x234.jpg?1268980628

Mark Petry
Bainbridge Island, WA

avalonracing
04-04-2011, 02:51 PM
I have been thinking about getting a chain ring mark on my inner drive side calf.

We always called the real thing "Cat 5 tattoos".
Do do it. You can always make your own.

Nags&Ducs
04-04-2011, 03:05 PM
There is only one-

I concur!! That winged campy logo would look best on the calf somewhere. Also the Columbus dove logo would be Bad azz too! Btw, Pete, you are looking crustier than ever in that photo! :) Hope you and the shop are doing well!!!

Tommy

Scott Shire
04-04-2011, 03:09 PM

The thing is, though, the guy with the pistons, on a BMC TrackMachine, got his ass handed to him all over Hellyer that day. If you're going to have twin pistons on your leg, you better be able to HAMMER.

Louis
04-04-2011, 03:11 PM
If you're going to have twin pistons on your leg, you better be able to HAMMER.

So I guess I should get something different? :p

That is the sort of statement that you need to back up, and when you don't you look pretty foolish.

maximus
04-04-2011, 03:27 PM
Got this one recently. Pic is right after I got it done, so a lil' messy — pic doesn't do it justice. The shading lightened up perfectly.

Classic American style with a twist.

To stay up...you gotta keep moving. Well, unless you are doing track stands ;)

buldogge
04-04-2011, 03:41 PM
Just make them quarter size 50cc pistons instead of SBC looking jobbies! ;)

-Mark

So I guess I should get something different? :p

That is the sort of statement that you need to back up, and when you don't you look pretty foolish.

rugbysecondrow
04-04-2011, 03:45 PM
The thing is, though, the guy with the pistons, on a BMC TrackMachine, got his ass handed to him all over Hellyer that day. If you're going to have twin pistons on your leg, you better be able to HAMMER.

Hence my desire for the Joker on a Bike tattoo. :beer: If I beat you, fine, if I don't, I am just a Joker anyway. :banana:

Nooch
04-04-2011, 04:00 PM
i have a slew, mostly from my VW days -- One VW logo with flames on my right bicep with the text "Racer Found." (as opposed to driver's wanted), and two VW Rabbits on my chest.

I've always taken my tattoos as a living story book of my life.. Sure, I might drive something beside the VW's, but I'll always have the memories of the cars I've built, the races I've been in, the show's i've shown in, and all the friends I made doing it.

The Rabbits, actually, are for my Grandparents. Long story short, when I was growing up they kept rabbits in their little apt in the bronx, so I've always called them "Grandma and Grandpa Bunny" to this day.

Other than those, I have my first dog's paw print on my calf (as shown below) and a few other pieces..

avalonracing
04-04-2011, 05:59 PM
Hence my desire for the Joker on a Bike tattoo. :beer: If I beat you, fine, if I don't, I am just a Joker anyway. :banana:

Hey Paul, if you shave your legs your new tattoo will be easier to see.

rugbysecondrow
04-04-2011, 06:56 PM
Hey Paul, if you shave your legs your new tattoo will be easier to see.

Same holds true if I shave my arse too. ;)

Let's get out for a ride this weekend.

oldpotatoe
04-04-2011, 07:36 PM
I concur!! That winged campy logo would look best on the calf somewhere. Also the Columbus dove logo would be Bad azz too! Btw, Pete, you are looking crustier than ever in that photo! :) Hope you and the shop are doing well!!!

Tommy

We had a banner 2010, a tremendous 2011 so far, things are good.

.6 offa a century now, gettin' old ain't for sissies-Betty Davis said that.

Dave B
04-04-2011, 08:09 PM
Here are a few I like.

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=71802&highlight=tattoo