PDA

View Full Version : Bicycles in China

bfd
04-03-2011, 05:52 PM
Just got back from 10 days in China - Beijing, Datong and HK. The girls and my mom had a good time.Some interesting points:

- there's no recession in China! Construction cranes can be seen everywhere in Beijing and Datong. At one point we counted over 15 cranes in one direction. Big high rise buildings are the in-thing in Northern China. In contrast, money is everywhere in HK as the malls are packed with young people and all the stores including many high-end designer ones appeared to be very busy.
- cars - in Beijing and Datong - *the* car to be seen in are black Audis (A6 or A8). That's the choice of head govt officials and can be seen everywhere. While Audis are the car to be seen in, VW also has a large presence. So, do Citroens and Peugeots. Interestingly, saw Toyotas and some Nissans, but Lexus was almost non-existent. In contrast, in HK you see big MBs, BMWs and we saw and heard at least 2 Ferraris.

- bicycles - when I was in China in 97, saw tens of thousands of bicycles. Now, maybe just hundreds or a few thousand. In Beijing alone, a city of 14 million people, there were maybe a few thousand bikes. In Datong, a city of 2.8 million people, saw some bikes, but more scooters and motorcycles. In most cases, the bikes were utility bikes used to haul stuff or commuting.

Also, only saw a couple of riders, on mtbs, using helmets. Let's not start a helmet war, but if your bike is hauling thing on a large platform or just used as a commuter, you are probably not riding too fast and maybe don't need it.

- traffic - with cars replacing bicycles, comes traffic. Seems like everywhere we went there was massive amount of traffic. When in China, expect lots of traffic and factor in lots of time to get places. Even short trips took at least 1/2 hour.
- smog. On the way to the airport, I thought it was really foggy. Then I was reminded that there wasn't any fog in Beijing, it was smog. With everyone getting cars, smog is really bad and will only get worse as someone said there was something like 6K new cars being sold every day in China. Not good.
- subways - in Beijing, you really see how crowded it gets at rush hour. Trains are packed and there are people everywhere. Surprisingly, the trains move quickly and are very efficient. Makes you wonder why SF Muni and Bart can't be this way!
- smoking - People smoke everywhere in China - hotels, restaurants,
stores, everywhere. In Beijing, we changed room once because we walked
into our room and it was smoky! In Datong, we stayed at a "five star"
hotel and everywhere it smelled like smoke. People smoked in the lobby, hallways, restaurants and the rooms had notices not to smoke in bed. There was also 2 ash trays in our room. So much for "non-smoking." I couldn't sleep because everything smelled like smoke and it affected my asthma. This really contributed to me being very tired.

Now, I need to get back to doing laundry....Good Luck!

Ken Robb
04-03-2011, 06:00 PM
I just read that smoking in public buildings will be banned in China within 2 months.

schwa86
04-03-2011, 07:43 PM
I spent the summer after my freshman year in college (1983) in Beijing -- upon arrival, the university took us to a shop where we bought bicycles for the three months we were there -- then sold them at the end on the black market (at that time you needed a permit for just about everything).

Spent the summer wheeling around the hutongs on my Flying Pigeon -- at that time almost no cars, but quite a few busses -- the smog was pretty bad from all the coal burning. The crowds of bikes were simply amazing -- just a huge cultural difference with my prior experience in the US.

There was a good article on the company in Bicycling a few years back: http://www.bicycling.com/news/featured-stories/flight-pigeon

Still one of my favorite bikes I've owned...

bfd
04-03-2011, 09:43 PM
schwa86 wrote:

<I spent the summer after my freshman year in college (1983) in Beijing -- upon arrival, the university took us to a shop where we bought bicycles for the three months we were there -- then sold them at the end on the black market (at that time you needed a permit for just about everything). >

Interesting. Didn't see any shops selling bikes probably because they're not located near the tourist areas. But, I did see a few bike repair places on the sidewalks. They basically have a hand pump and a bunch of tools like crescent wrenches. I don't recall seeing any bike specific tools. However, the people just ride along on this bikes with a wagon type platform attached.

<Spent the summer wheeling around the hutongs on my Flying Pigeon -- at that time almost no cars, but quite a few busses -- the smog was pretty bad from all the coal burning. The crowds of bikes were simply amazing -- just a huge cultural difference with my prior experience in the US.>

My tour included a rickshaw ride thru the hutong on a bike. I wanted to "drive" the bike, but the tour guides who spoke English just looked at me like I was crazy. I wasn't allowed to drive as the bikes were owner-owned. Actually, I was pretty luck not to drive as a car came down one of the small streets and stopped. The rickshaw bikes had to squeeze thru. The car owner, talking on a cell phone, just reached out and turned in his left side mirror as he continued to talk. The driver of the rickshaw had to get off and push his bike about an inch to avoid scrapping the car and rode on. Amazing and all for 10 yuen tip.

There was a good article on the company in Bicycling a few years back: http://www.bicycling.com/news/featured-stories/flight-pigeon

Still one of my favorite bikes I've owned...[/QUOTE]

Flying Pigeons are still a staple of what's still on the road. Cars are expensive in China, but people seem to consider them a necessity and are buying them up at an incredible rate if the rumored 6K cars sold per day is true. Good Luck!