PDA

View Full Version : Maiden Voyage on my new Bedford

RWHowe
04-03-2011, 04:28 PM
Ride report on my new custom KBedford. I was fit by Kelly and a top notch local fitter eight months ago. Kelly delivered the frame in the fall but I did not get it built up right away and then the Saratoga winter came.

So today was the first ride, in short the bike is fantastic - equal to or btter than anything I've owned, raced and ridden over the years. To keep it in perspective here is what I've raced - Windsor Pro, Legnano, Marinoni, Jim Redcay, Serotta Colorado II, Spectrum/Merlin Ultra Light, Serotta Legend Ti and Serotta Ti Cross. Others I've owned and ridden extensively, Confente, Richard Sachs, (Serotta Ottrott, Attack, HSG and Meivici).

The Bedford is as smooth as any bike I've ridden. It does what a great bike should - it disappears beneath you and becomes and extension of your body. Not suprising, considering that Kelly is one of the most experienced fitters and frame designers in the country.

The bikes weighs in at 16lbs. The frame was built with a lightweight set of True Temper tubes, oversized as well. There is absolutely no comparing a modern steel bike to a vintage one. And of course, steel has a feel all its own.

I expect the ride to get even better as I dial in my postion, lower the bars a bit etc.

RWHowe
04-03-2011, 04:28 PM
a few more pics

RWHowe
04-03-2011, 04:31 PM
and my new Bedford jersey to go with the bike

rugbysecondrow
04-03-2011, 04:40 PM
As a two Bedford owner, I am biased, but you can't do better.

I have a jersey on the way as well.

Cheers and many happy safe miles!

Paul

BumbleBeeDave
04-03-2011, 04:43 PM
Show us the WHOLE %$#&* bike! :no: :p

BBD

Dekonick
04-03-2011, 04:46 PM
As a two Bedford owner, I am biased, but you can't do better.

I have a jersey on the way as well.

Veers and many happy safe miles!

Paul

Love mine!

RWHowe
04-03-2011, 04:52 PM
Here is the whole bike from a lousy angle

Bruce K
04-03-2011, 05:07 PM
I really enjoy my time on my Bedford too.

Superb craftsmanship and paint that is second to none.

BK

Smiley
04-03-2011, 05:16 PM
Hey RWH coming from a guy that has ridden some of the best brands in existance that's saying something about K Bedford Customs, but heck I am biased too and think what I have ridden ain't chopped liver before I picked up my Two Bedfords. Nice bike and we can't wait to get our jersey's soon :)

sc53
04-03-2011, 05:17 PM
Wow! Did he make the jersey to match the bike--or vice versa? I want a Serotta forum jersey in colors to match MY bike! I want a Bedford! Were you tempted to order Ti or is modern steel the way to go?

Smiley
04-03-2011, 05:32 PM
Wow! Did he make the jersey to match the bike--or vice versa? I want a Serotta forum jersey in colors to match MY bike! I want a Bedford! Were you tempted to order Ti or is modern steel the way to go?
The Jersey's were designed to match the Team Colors which is the Robin's Egg blue with Orange panels. The pictures that Russ took with that poor lighting does not do justice to these jersey's made by Verge.

firerescuefin
04-03-2011, 05:52 PM
Holy Smokes!....Each bike of his I see on here is off the chain (no punn intended) :cool:

rugbysecondrow
04-03-2011, 06:01 PM
Holy Smokes!....Each bike of his I see on here is off the chain (no punn intended) :cool:

His custom TIG frames are off the chizzain as well. His pricing is below, you should look into it Geoff.

http://kbedfordcustoms.com/frames/pricingorder

RWHowe
04-03-2011, 06:05 PM
Kelly grew up in Florida and was inspired by the Gulf Oil racing team at Daytona. The Bedord team colors pay homage to the Gulf Oil team colors

RWHowe
04-03-2011, 06:15 PM

On a classic road bike I wanted steel. Also, I think steel showsaces Kelly's incredible lug work. The crispness of Kelly's work is second to none. I'm planning on a Ti cross bike for this fall. I prefer Ti for a cross bike so I don't have to worry about rust, scratches to paint etc.

I've owned and ridden bikes made from all materials (steel, Ti, Carbon and aluminum). For the last two years I was riding my 1984 custom built Holcome - an English builder - with Campy NR/SR, downtube shifters etc.
New steel can't be compared to old steel. The feeling of my old steel bike vs the Bedford are night and day.

Pete Serotta
04-03-2011, 06:19 PM
Every time I ride it. :D

Kelly is an artisan for the craftsmanship and handling of the frame to meet your desired type of riding...

PETE

wooly
04-03-2011, 06:22 PM
Love the color combo.

Ahneida Ride
04-03-2011, 06:26 PM
Getting my Bedford this summer !!!! :beer:

Can't wait !!!!

rounder
04-04-2011, 06:55 PM
I have a K. Bedford bike in team colors, also. The bike feels great and i really like the way it looks.

SPOKE
04-04-2011, 07:40 PM
My Bedfords are faster down hill than all of y'alls!