PDA

View Full Version : Another Horrible Accident

inGobwetrust
06-02-2005, 11:38 PM
Sorry to be such a bummer but this is from http://www.trigeekdreams.com/

Tuesday, May 31, 2005

This will chill you to the bone
This posting will definitely sober you up and NOT get your geek on. But unfortunately, it's real life. It's written by Nate Llerandi, who watched his training partner die in an accident yesterday in Boulder, Colorado.

Life is Fleeting.

I write this today because I need to write this. I watched my friend die on his bike today.

We were riding side-by-side on an ample shoulder/bike lane on Hwy 36 - a north/south corridor that hugs the foothills of the Rockies and serves as the gateway to any number of canyon roads climbing up into the mountains. I rode near the white line and Scott rode to my right, at the outside of the shoulder (near the dirt/grass.

An Explorer driving southbound at around 60mph (the posted speed limit) was driving toward us. It started to veer across the road. At first, I thought it was to pass traffic. When it then veered into the northbound traffic lane, we knew something was up. We both said some expletive as we realized what could happen. Then it veered into our bike lane and was speeding right for us. All of this and the following details happened in 2-3 seconds tops.

I look at Scott, look at the Explorer and realize my only way to live is to swerve my bike hard out into the northbound traffic lane. As I swerve out, I look back at Scott and pray that he was able to dive his bike down into the grassy ditch. The Explorer was heading straight down the bike lane, so the grass would have been safe. As I look back at Scott, I see the Explorer hit him head on. I feel the very close rush of wind pass me by as the SUV narrowly misses me as well.

I screech to a halt, screaming and crying. I throw my bike down and run back to Scott's body. As I'm running, his bike is still spinning cartwheels in the air. I check for his pulse and touch his abdomen and chest to feel for breathing. He's dead. I look up and the Explorer is finally coming to a stop after running through some farmer's fences and it hits a ditch, a couple hundred yards away. Then I notice that below the knee, Scott's left leg is missing.

I stayed with him for over 2 hours until the coroner came and took him away. The accident happened at around 7:50am today. It's not nearly 3:00pm. I've grieved with many, many people. I'm about to go show his widow as much strength and support as I possibly can. The driver had fallen asleep at the wheel.

Unfortnately, whenever we head out the door, this is a stark, horrific reminder of what can happen to each of us, no matter how safely we ride. Please, please, please be safe out there.

Nate Llerandi
natellerandi@yahoo.com

This is the news story from the local paper.

Cyclist killed in collision with car

Police suspect teen driver fell asleep behind the wheel

By Vanessa Miller, Camera Staff Writer
May 31, 2005

A 28-year-old cyclist was killed instantly Monday morning when he was
hit by a Ford Explorer along U.S. 36, just north of Broadway.

Scott Kornfield, 28, of Thornton, was riding with Nathan
Gillman-LLerandi, 36, of Lafayette. The accident occurred about 7:50
a.m., officials said.

Colorado State Patrol Trooper Eric Wynn said preliminary investigations
suggest a 17-year-old Boulder resident fell asleep behind the wheel,
veering off the road and striking Kornfield.

Kornfield was pronounced dead at the scene. Gillman-LLerandi was not
injured.

Wynn said the cyclists were heading north along U.S. 36, and Thorpe was
driving south.

"The Ford crossed into the northbound lane, striking one of the
cyclists
and killing him on scene," Wynn said. "The Explorer continued off the
left side of the road and collided with an embankment."

A portion of the highway was shut down temporarily. It then opened to
one lane for several hours.

Wynn said with the proliferation of cyclists in Boulder, both drivers
and riders need to be especially alert.

"They do have auto-cyclist accidents up there," he said. "You can never
control someone else, but when you are riding a bicycle, be alert of
the
traffic around you and the traffic conditions. And motorists need to
look out for cyclists."

The accident remains under investigation. Officers said they do not
suspect the driver was influenced by alcohol or drugs. Charges are
pending, officials said.

BumbleBeeDave
06-03-2005, 06:46 AM
Wish I could think of words to really convey how horrible this feels when I read it and imagine myself in Nate’s place.

I hope the teen driver is forced to come to his funeral and sit with the family. I also hope you will keep us updated on what charges--if any--are brought against the driver.

BBDave

Bruce H.
06-03-2005, 09:14 PM
This sends chills down my spine. I can not imagine what to do in this situation. I would probably freeze. To watch this happen to a friend..wow. Words cannot express the grief and sorrow I feel for this stranger. We are having an incredible number of accidents so early this season.
My prayers are with them.
Bruce H.

Doc Austin
06-04-2005, 02:17 PM
ONG. How horribly, horribly sad.

Spinsistah
06-04-2005, 03:24 PM
I cannot begin to imagine how Nate must feel, as well as the family of the cyclist that was killed. What a terrible, terrible tragedy. My prayers are with them.

ergott
06-04-2005, 04:32 PM
I know there are days I thank God I got home safe after a few close calls. It is only inches that separate my stories from this one and others like it.

It makes me really thankful that I have a state park so close that I can ride in. It is a 4 mile loop that many cyclists use and the speed limit is 20-30mph for the 4 lane highway.

colocraig
06-04-2005, 10:58 PM
My condolences to Scot's family adn friends. For those who live in Eastern Colorado, there will be a memorial ride for Scot in Longmont on 16 June. Details not yet available, but I will post them when arrangments are complete.

Kevin
06-05-2005, 06:46 AM
Very sad.

Kevin

Vancouverdave
06-08-2005, 11:26 AM
There has never in human history been a mass murderer like Henry Ford. Hitler, Mao, Stalin, they were all lightweights compared to him.

Russ
06-09-2005, 04:14 AM
But what the hell is happening in Boulder???!!!

A couple of years ago, a friend of mine was also hit bit a driver that fell asleep on the wheel in Boulder...

I also had an accident that involved a car on Hwy 36 near Neva Road. Luckly none of us was hurt badly.

:(

Fixed
06-09-2005, 07:58 AM
I am sad to hear this.Sounds like you were a good friend.A lady was hit from the back Sunday in my area .It broke her back she had surgery yesterday.Again I am sad to here of your loss.

Ahneida Ride
06-09-2005, 08:07 AM
The driver is a killer. And of course, nothing will happen to the driver.
Sickening,
The victim could have been anyone of us.

I am so sorry. and I do understand. Please see Davidtryan.com .

God Bless

JasonF
06-09-2005, 09:05 AM
In prior threads I have discussed my wife's and my recovery from being run over by an illegally-overweight and out of control cement truck that veered into our bike lane. We were the lucky ones since the truck rolled onto a minivan, killing both its occupants.

The pain, grief and finally acceptance that I have some permanent injuries (e.g. a non union fracture of my tibia with rods plates a screws holding my left leg and my face together) has taken 3 years to face. Now I just get pissed when I read stories like this. Pissed that people can't pay attention when they drive. Pissed that they feel they must either eat, use a cellphone or fiddle with the stereo while driving. Sometimes all three. Pissed that a kid falls asleep while driving. Pissed that these stories seem to come up more and more. Pissed that this poor guy was just out for a bike ride when he was killed.

The sad truth is that there is nothing we as cyclists can do to prevent these tragedies. They are random and when your number is up, it's up. A headlight would not have saved this guys life. He apparently had little or no time to react. We merely share the road with vehicles that are the undisputed king of the lane.

What we're left with is a balancing act: is riding worth the risk? To me, it is. I'm about to go back to riding on the road again because I refuse to let fear dictate what I enjoy and what I don't. My wife and I have argued over this since she wants me to stick to canal towpaths. When I was on the side of the road and couldn't breathe, couldn't move my legs and arms and felt blood pour down my face, I thought I was paralyzed, not realizing that my limbs were broken. Now that I can ride again I truly appreciate how lucky we are to be able to do what we enjoy. Scott Kornfiled will never get that chance again.

weisan
06-09-2005, 09:23 AM
Jason-pal, I applaud your courage and determination to get back on the bike. Please be careful out there and take it slow initially, just do what you would normally do and don't try to overcompensate or gain back "lost time and forgone enjoyment on the bike" for the previous years. Your experience put you in a very unique position to educate others and to teach yourself new ways to enjoy riding a bike which you may or may not have noticed before.

Take care buddy.

weisan

JasonF
06-09-2005, 11:42 AM
Jason-pal, I applaud your courage and determination to get back on the bike. Please be careful out there and take it slow initially, just do what you would normally do and don't try to overcompensate or gain back "lost time and forgone enjoyment on the bike" for the previous years. Your experience put you in a very unique position to educate others and to teach yourself new ways to enjoy riding a bike which you may or may not have noticed before.

Take care buddy.

weisan

Thanks for your kind words of encouragement weisan...I have taken some "baby steps" by veering off the closed trail to ride in street traffic a couple of times. It was much more nerve-racking than I thought.

You hit the nail on the head about new ways to enjoy riding a bike. Before the accident, I was concerned about distance, average speed, heart rate, etc...Now I just ride. If I feel good, I go a little faster, if not, I slow down. We're all blessed to be able to go out on the open road and breathe fresh air. To me, there's not many other things more fun than that!
Jason