PDA

View Full Version : Wireless Computer Recomendations

Shoeman
04-03-2011, 12:39 AM
Looking for a new Computer for my trainer. Nothing fancy or pricey just something that will work on the back wheel. My old wired Avocet 35 just bit the dust. Even though its warming up I still like to sometimes ride inside in the dead of summer as St. Louis is murder in the summer with the humidity.
Thanks

Ti Designs
04-03-2011, 12:53 AM
There are two levels to look at, depending on what you want from your workouts. At the upper end, you want power output, so an SRM crank or a PowerTap will do the job. That puts real world numbers to your workouts. The other end would be wearing a watch - you can call it wireless if you like. Beyond that it's kinda pointless. Does speed or distance mean anything on a trainer?

Shoeman
04-03-2011, 08:02 AM
Speed doesn't matter but I do like to keep up with miles though,
also the bike does make it onto the street every now and then. That way I don't have to mess with changing it around etc.

Ti Designs
04-03-2011, 08:20 AM
The mileage on a trainer doesn't translate - I can hold a steady 40 mph on mine, doesn't mean a thing. There are rear sending wireless computers, but you're giving up a simple, dependable design for a number that means nothing. For $12 you can get a kitchen timer that does a better job as an indoor timer and spend half on the bike computer with the front pick-up.