PDA

View Full Version : Brake nut won't insert in Moots RSL fork

amgc36
04-02-2011, 03:41 PM
Hi,

I did a forum search and can't seem to find an answer. I am building my RSL with the Alpha Q RSL fork with SRAM Force brakes. The nut for the brake will not insert fully into the fork and won't reach the bolt. Is there a nut without a lip that I can use? Is there a way to make the brake bolt longer?

I bought the frame off the forum and the previous owner (
friend of a forumite) ran it with Red so I know it's doable.

Thanks,

William

amgc36
04-02-2011, 03:56 PM
I just realized I can use a longer bolt. I took one off a Shimano brake that almost works. Gonna head to my LBS for one that's 22mm long. Never mind this post.

Dan Le foot
04-02-2011, 05:14 PM
I have that problem all the time.
LBS has a can with all sizes and shapes.
Hate it when it is just a wee too short and can't finish the build.
Dan

amgc36
04-02-2011, 07:21 PM
I'm also annoyed that the backside of the fork face is slanted so that the top edge of the nut will cut into the carbon. I think I may need a rubber washer. Not sure why Alpha Q didn't rout a bigger hole or countersink.

oldpotatoe
04-03-2011, 07:18 AM
I'm also annoyed that the backside of the fork face is slanted so that the top edge of the nut will cut into the carbon. I think I may need a rubber washer. Not sure why Alpha Q didn't rout a bigger hole or countersink.

Don matter, they are outtaforkbiz. New RSL fork made for Moots, similar, very nice, as on the demo RSL I have on the floor. DT 465 rims, nothing fancy, DA 7900 group, Ritchey, 15 pounds.

bobj
04-03-2011, 06:43 PM
I had a similar problem. My LBS had a long nut that worked fine.