PDA

View Full Version : Help me with a Spring cycling destination

SamIAm
04-01-2011, 02:56 PM
My wife and I were right about to book a week long trip to Napa, cycling in the morning, wine in the afternoon. But we have done that trip many times now, so I thought I might solicit some ideas for other places to ride.

Here are my criteria:

U.S only
Cycling friendly culture
Temperatures between 60-80
Generally sunny
Base camp in a central location that can serve as the gateway to riding
30-50 mile ride routes
Decent night life (good restaurants, pubs etc.)

Any ideas?

firerescuefin
04-01-2011, 03:02 PM
Never been, but Solvang has always been on my short list and sounds very similar to what you're looking for.

oliver1850
04-01-2011, 03:02 PM

firerescuefin
04-01-2011, 03:03 PM
I was going to suggest north Georgia, but.......

I am meeting a bunch of buddies there the 3rd week of May for bikes/beers/brauts. Can't wait.

oliver1850
04-01-2011, 03:14 PM

dave thompson
04-01-2011, 03:23 PM
I think the San Diego area fits your bill in all ways perfectly. I moved away many years ago and never bicycled there, but I recall very fondly the fantastic motorcycle rides that I had there that would translate into wonderful bicycle rides. Some were sightseeing and some were epic. Beautiful ocean/mountain/desert countryside all in a day.

MarleyMon
04-01-2011, 03:23 PM
I suppose the twin cities are out?

SamIAm
04-01-2011, 03:29 PM
I suppose the twin cities are out?

That's affirmative :)

SamIAm
04-01-2011, 03:30 PM
I am meeting a bunch of buddies there the 3rd week of May for bikes/beers/brauts. Can't wait.

What part of North Georgia?

soupless
04-01-2011, 03:59 PM
Never been, but Solvang has always been on my short list and sounds very similar to what you're looking for.

it would be hard to kill a week in solvang. i don't think there's all that much nightlife.

try a trek travel trip.

fmbp
04-01-2011, 04:11 PM
I'd put in a vote for Fredericksburg, TX. http://www.cycletexas.com/

Excellent riding, lots of B&Bs, and pretty good food. It's also touristy enough to keep you busy during the time when you aren't riding.

AngryScientist
04-01-2011, 04:19 PM
I think the San Diego area fits your bill in all ways perfectly. I moved away many years ago and never bicycled there, but I recall very fondly the fantastic motorcycle rides that I had there that would translate into wonderful bicycle rides. Some were sightseeing and some were epic. Beautiful ocean/mountain/desert countryside all in a day.

+1 to this, great socal weather and access to some great iconic US riding.

and.....taco tuesdays!

firerescuefin
04-01-2011, 04:40 PM
What part of North Georgia?

About an hour north of Atlanta. We're renting house. The buddy that is heading it up said there is plenty to do as far as getting out after the ride. I just sent him an email requesting more info for you.

Louis
04-01-2011, 04:48 PM
30-50 mile ride routes

Just bump it up to 60-100 mile rides then you won't need to worry about the night life. ;)

Smiley
04-01-2011, 05:13 PM
Rob,
Hill Country Texas.....its that nice

thwart
04-01-2011, 05:27 PM
If you can wait 6 weeks or so, the local environs (Madison WI) could fill that bill.

Jack Brunk
04-01-2011, 05:33 PM
Paso Robles Ca would fit your goals perfectly. Plenty of wineries, hundreds of miles of great riding and terrific food places with excellent hotels(stay at the La Bellasara). You won't run out of fun things to do.

oliver1850
04-01-2011, 05:37 PM

DRietz
04-01-2011, 05:44 PM
I'd say the Fruita/Grand Junction/Palisade area for Spring. It won't fit your summer criteria unless you don't mind riding at 7am to avoid 110 degrees of heat at 1pm.

Johnnyg
04-01-2011, 05:48 PM
Not far from you but epic riding area. Asheville, NC. It's got it all in my openion. Best of luck and have a wonderful time where ever you go. JG

Climb01742
04-01-2011, 05:53 PM
healdsburg, ca. riding is great and food is even better.

maunahaole
04-01-2011, 05:56 PM
Maui. Healdsburg would not suck either.

SamIAm
04-01-2011, 07:09 PM
Great suggestions guys. I am going to start some due diligence of a few of these starting tomorrow.

SamIAm
04-01-2011, 07:16 PM
About an hour north of Atlanta. We're renting house. The buddy that is heading it up said there is plenty to do as far as getting out after the ride. I just sent him an email requesting more info for you.

I appreciate that. The reason I had asked though was to offer you my place up that way, but it sounds like you got that covered.

Any other forumites that may want to spend some time in the hills and gravel roads of North Georgia are more than welcome to use our cabin if its available. Just drop me a line and I will try to hook you up.

firerescuefin
04-01-2011, 07:19 PM
Thanks for the great offer!!!. Any chance you're going to be up there 23-27 May to get together for a ride?

Geoff

bkboom123
04-01-2011, 07:34 PM
Its most likely because I am from this area, but....Saratoga Springs!

During track season the city gets booming. Great night life, tons of restaurants, tons of bars, free shows on the side streets, lots to do! You can bike in the adirondacks, around lakes, go to the race track for the day, concert by night (SPAC holds 25,000 people and is an amazingly great venue with awesome shows, opera, ballet, etc), golf, hike, etc....

Lots to do! Great place to be in the summer.

93legendti
04-01-2011, 07:51 PM
Would you consider a US Territory like Puerto Rico?

SamIAm
04-01-2011, 07:53 PM
Thanks for the great offer!!!. Any chance you're going to be up there 23-27 May to get together for a ride?

Geoff

I am sure I could make that happen. Let's firm it up as it gets closer.

Pete Serotta
04-01-2011, 08:22 PM
ALthough Healdsburg, Santa Rosa, and Bodega Bay area are my favorites.

The Paso Robles weather is planned to be warmer and sunny this April. although my speed of riding will be s-l-o-w-e-r but I love that area.

SanDiego is very nice and feel free to visit Mike Lopez who is the Serotta Guru and Director of Composites in the area of POWAY. (HE is also a wine expert :beer:

PETE

BillG
04-01-2011, 08:56 PM
Austin, TX and Hill Country. In Hill Country you can go to the Hilltop (http://www.hilltopcafe.com/), and Austin is a great town. If you go send me a PM and I'll send you some of the GPS routes I mapped.

bkboom123
04-01-2011, 09:29 PM
Oh and I forgot to mention...You can tour the Serotta factory when you visit!

572cv
04-01-2011, 09:32 PM
...except for the U.S. only criterion, it sounds just like Provence ;) Maybe that could be next.

oldpotatoe
04-02-2011, 07:47 AM
My wife and I were right about to book a week long trip to Napa, cycling in the morning, wine in the afternoon. But we have done that trip many times now, so I thought I might solicit some ideas for other places to ride.

Here are my criteria:

U.S only
Cycling friendly culture
Temperatures between 60-80
Generally sunny
Base camp in a central location that can serve as the gateway to riding
30-50 mile ride routes

Any ideas?

Mailbu...right on PCH 1, great rides toward Santa Monica or the other way towards Ojai, Ventura, great weather. Long ride to Santa Barbara, up to Solvang.

Doug Fattic
04-02-2011, 07:48 AM
My wife and I have several times enjoyed a spring cycling trip in Lexington, KY. This is the part of the country with really expensive horse farms. The terrain is rolling so the roads curve and wind through the countryside. We got the idea from a short lived bicycle touring magazine. I know Santana Tandems has done a tour there. You also might enjoy a short side trip by car to the small town of Berea to the south. It has a college with a curriculum based on crafts.

Dan Le foot
04-02-2011, 10:22 AM
+1
Dave has it right. Weather is second to none. You can ride the flat coastal routes or the big climbs inland. Our Club ride leader has online ride maps of over 500 routes if you are interested.
Have fun.
Dan

biker72
04-02-2011, 02:31 PM
The Hill Country rides around Fredericksburg TX are great but not in the summer time. Late June to early September can be very hot.

You Denver/Boulder CO members are going to think I'm crazy but I thought Denver was a great place to ride. I think they advertise 850 miles of paved bike trails. A very bicycle friendly area with the Rocky Mountains as a backdrop..

Of course living in Dallas anywhere could be more bicycle friendly than here. :)

firerescuefin
04-02-2011, 02:35 PM
You Denver/Boulder CO members are going to think I'm crazy but I thought Denver was a great place to ride. I think they advertise 850 miles of paved bike trails. A very bicycle friendly area with the Rocky Mountains as a backdrop..

You're spot on...but I can't endorse as a Spring trip, because spring means anything from high 70s to Snow....and that would suck (snow) if you're out here to ride.

Come out during the summer...that way you can experience everything in and around Denver and shoot up to the mountains...which are just a stones throw away.

SamIAm
04-02-2011, 05:57 PM
You're spot on...but I can't endorse as a Spring trip, because spring means anything from high 70s to Snow....and that would suck (snow) if you're out here to ride.

Come out during the summer...that way you can experience everything in and around Denver and shoot up to the mountains...which are just a stones throw away.

We do have a trip planned to Boulder in July this year.

oldpotatoe
04-03-2011, 07:15 AM

Over 80 degrees yesterday, snow tonight-whopeee.

troymac
04-03-2011, 12:38 PM
You could always do Napa with a couple of days in Lake Tahoe. I can't think of a more beautiful place to ride. I'm biased of course as I live right between Napa and Tahoe. There are plenty of places to ride and stay all around the lake.

Steve in SLO
04-04-2011, 12:40 AM
I'll chime on with Santa Barbara. I just returned from a 5 day cycling trip there and rode about 250 miles. There's climbing, rollers, beach routes and it's very bike friendly. We stayed in Montecito (just south) and thoroughly enjoyed our stay.
You could always come to San Luis Obispo. It's nice here, too.

Tom Byrnes
04-08-2011, 01:04 PM
Hi Rob,

You and Sydney can always return to Paso Robles next week. Eros Poli is returning, along with two other Italians.

Here's the 10-day weather forecast:

http://www.weather.com/weather/tenday/USCA0842

Best regards to you and Sydney,

Tom