PDA

View Full Version : OT: Is something wrong with me/ should I be worried

firerescuefin
04-01-2011, 02:36 PM
As I am getting older, I find country music is becoming a viable alternative and have even started buying some on itunes. Should I meet with a neurologist and demand a CT scan. :confused:

Anyone experiencing the same phenomena???

ultraman6970
04-01-2011, 02:39 PM
No comments :D

veloduffer
04-01-2011, 02:40 PM
Not if you like Shania Twain. Shania Twain vid (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJL4UGSbeFg) :p

I like country rock (eg The Voles), some bluegrass (Union Station) and folk.

Luckily, NY is such a conservative, business oriented radio market that there isn't a country radio station. But that music genre does have some of the purdiest women.

sc53
04-01-2011, 02:47 PM
If by "country" you mean people like Emmylou Harris, Buddy Miller, Merle Haggard, Johnny Cash, Allison Krauss, and the Drive-by Truckers--I'm also guilty!

Ralph
04-01-2011, 02:50 PM
While I'm not a traditional Country music fan, I do like music where I can understand the words. So a lot of more modern "POP" Country works for me also.

LouDeeter
04-01-2011, 02:51 PM
1. Many country music songs are about cheating.
2. Many country music singers, with the notable exception of the Dixie Chicks, are pretty conservative.
3. If you like pick-up trucks, country fried chicken, hunting and fishing, then you are probably a good candidate for country music.
4. Think about 1-3, but I would hate to stereotype anyone.

sg8357
04-01-2011, 02:52 PM
As I am getting older, I find country music is becoming a viable alternative

Yup, when you get older, western music is too stimulatin',
time to switch to country music.

Something like Gary Lee's "The Rodeo Song" can give you apoplexy.

Likes2ridefar
04-01-2011, 02:54 PM
nearly every genre of music has something worth listening to. Country included.

firerescuefin
04-01-2011, 02:57 PM
This is a good example....John Michael Montgomery. The song has been out for 4 years and just heard it for the first time the other day and bought it the same day. I have always liked Allison Kraus...so maybe this has been coming on for some time. :cool:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4lN7ox5XPZY

Plum Hill
04-01-2011, 03:08 PM
If by country you mean someone like Wayne Hancock, you're OK.
If it's that crap that passes for country, seek help immediately. Listen to The Geezinslaw Brothers' "(You Call it Country, I Call it) Bad Rock and Roll".

BTW Shania Twain lives in Switzerland. Not exactly "country".

Seriously, hook up with www.kdhx.org and do a listen to their Saturday afternoon programming from 1-5PM CDT. Available live or archived.

SoCalSteve
04-01-2011, 03:28 PM
I know 2 jokes...

This is one of them:

What happens when you play a Country-Western tune backwards?

You get your wife back, your truck back, your horse back, your girlfriend back, etc, etc, etc...

You get the picture.

Steve

PS: You DONT want to know what the other joke I know is (cannot be told in mixed company).

biker72
04-01-2011, 03:52 PM
2. Many country music singers, with the notable exception of the Dixie Chicks, are pretty conservative.
3. If you like pick-up trucks, country fried chicken, hunting and fishing, then you are probably a good candidate for country music.

You forgot prison, getting drunk, mama, trains and big trucks.. :)

biker72
04-01-2011, 03:56 PM
Not if you like Shania Twain. Shania Twain vid (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJL4UGSbeFg) :p

Luckily, NY is such a conservative, business oriented radio market that there isn't a country radio station. But that music genre does have some of the purdiest women.

Does that video remind you at all of the old Robert Palmer "Simply Irresistable".

SEABREEZE
04-01-2011, 04:42 PM
Music is my drug, I need my daily dose, depending on the day will dictate the genre.

When talking country Vince Gill, Brooks and Dunn, Keith Urban, Crystal Gale, etc etc, are some that come to mind. Prefer todays as yester years keeping it classic, not a fan of the new country rock.

A recent study says laughing and music is good for your health.

Enjoy whatever it is you like

dogdriver
04-01-2011, 05:46 PM
Beauty and good music are in the eye of the beholder. The country side has some fine musicians as well as some commercial creations (much like most other genres). I've been a rocker most of life, but Kris Kristofferson's rendition of "Sunday Morning Coming Down" brings tears to my eyes...

You're probably fine, but might consider submitting to an exam if you've been a lifelong liberal and are now watching Fox News and considering voting for Sarah Palin...

1centaur
04-01-2011, 06:06 PM
...wait, I'm thinking of some anti-left cliche so nobody thinks only one direction of tired political slurs is tolerated...

Meanwhile, country ain't what country used to be, it's become pop because Top 40 is unrecognizable. But if you can write the lyrics to something like "My Honky Tonk Truck" with mentions of alcohol and God, you might have a hit on country radio, especially if the video contains 21-year-old models in short-shorts who really dig 45-year-old lechers in cowboy hats.

1happygirl
04-01-2011, 08:45 PM
As I am getting older, I find country music is becoming a viable alternative and have even started buying some on itunes. Should I meet with a neurologist and demand a CT scan. :confused:

nah, it happens to everybody. when you get older you can hear as well.

I said, YOU CANT HEAR AS WELL

Nil Else
04-01-2011, 09:19 PM
Stare for 5 minutes.
http://img218.imageshack.us/img218/6829/isitmovinghypnosisiamge.jpg (http://img218.imageshack.us/i/isitmovinghypnosisiamge.jpg/)

If you are sure they are moving and still feeling country music tugging at ya, call the shrink.

I recommend Wellbutrin 150mg. One a day for 7 days then take one twice a day after that. :beer: Wait... I take the beers back: drinking is not recommended when you're on Wellbutrin... you'll get horrible nasty hangover and then find yourself stalking Dolly Parton afterwards.

All kidding a side I sometimes listen to certain authentic(?) country music, such as Emmylou Harris, some Lucinda Williams, Loretta Lynn (+Jack White's Van Lear Rose album)... there are some more morsels but I can't remember at the moment.

Oh yeah, Rosanne Cash: "The List" (http://www.rosannecash.com/index.php/site/music/C17) She does her dad's songs. Actually I like some of her versions like "500 miles" "Bury me under the weeping willow" and more quite a lot.

I listen to all kinds of music, if they are good. When they are good at what they are doing I appreciate that and no other discrimination. I don't have to turn what they are singing about into my religion or belief or political lean. I can just appreciate the music for what they are. :eek:

happycampyer
04-01-2011, 09:28 PM

Luckily, NY is such a conservative, business oriented radio market that there isn't a country radio station. But that music genre does have some of the purdiest women.Does that video remind you at all of the old Robert Palmer "Simply Irresistable".It's not "simply Irresistable," it's a direct play on "Addicted to Love": Addicted to Love (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XcATvu5f9vE)

Same backup girls as in "Simply Irresistable," but as a backup band with the white guitars, etc.

firerescuefin
04-01-2011, 09:34 PM
I have always had ecclectic tastes in music, but just could not get into country...looking on my IPOD most listened to artists.

50 cent
Beastie Boys
Coldplay
Duran Duran
Foo Fighters
Don Mclean
Keith Urban
John Michael Montgomery
Moby
Pearl Jam
Norah Jones
Smashing Pumpkins
U2

Thanks for the support. I am cancelling the appt with the Neurologist :beer:

93legendti
04-01-2011, 10:20 PM
There are some awesome guitarists in the Country genre, it would be a shame if a bad stereotype kept you from hearing amazing music:

Chet Atkins
Merle Travis
Joe Maphis
Roy Clark
Speedy West
Albert Lee
Jimmy Bryant
Jerry Reed
Junior Brown
Lee Roy Parnell
John Jorgensen
James Burton
Vince Gill
Keith Urban
Glenn Campbell
Brad Paisley
Jerry Donahue
Dickey Betts
Brent Mason
Ry Cooder
Arlen Roth
Will Ray
Roy Buchanan
Les Paul
Danny Gatton

jeo99
04-01-2011, 10:27 PM
Adam

+1

jeo99
04-01-2011, 10:30 PM

Man are you out of touch! You obviously do not listen to Country and have not for quite some time.

:no:

FYI The Dixie Chicks are NOT Country. They just thought they were.

93legendti
04-01-2011, 10:34 PM
Man are you out of touch! You obviously do not listen to Country and have not for quite some time.

:no:

FYI The Dixie Chicks are NOT Country. They just thought they were.
true dat

kenw
04-01-2011, 10:45 PM
the older I get the less I want to listen to just about anything human-made.

Plum Hill
04-02-2011, 12:06 AM
Load the bike in the wagon and take a trip to the Texas hill country. Hop on said bike and take a ride to Luckenbach. Stop in the Post Office, mail a post card back home, and have a Shiner Bock.

If the song "Luckenbach, Texas" keeps swirling through your brain, you are hooked.

Pick up a copy of Jerry Jeff Walker's "Great Gonzos" for the drive home.

All joking aside, as the birthdays added up my music spectrum broadened significantly. The kids at work are dumbfounded that David Lee Roth didn't write "Just a Gigalo".

And the song David Allan Coe calls "the greatest country song ever written" was written by a short Jewish folkie from Chicago. Pick up a copy of "No Big Surprise, the Steve Goodman Anthology" and treat yourself.

slowgoing
04-02-2011, 02:53 AM
Should I meet with a neurologist and demand a CT scan. :confused:

Yes.

You should be ashamed you even brought it up.

Fixed
04-02-2011, 05:18 AM
There are some awesome guitarists in the Country genre, it would be a shame if a bad stereotype kept you from hearing amazing music:

Chet Atkins
Merle Travis
Joe Maphis
Roy Clark
Speedy West
Albert Lee
Jimmy Bryant
Jerry Reed
Junior Brown
Lee Roy Parnell
John Jorgensen
James Burton
Vince Gill
Keith Urban
Glenn Campbell
Brad Paisley
Jerry Donahue
Dickey Betts
Brent Mason
Ry Cooder
Arlen Roth
Will Ray
Roy Buchanan
Les Paul
Danny Gatton
a lot of those guys jump between genres ( county ,jazz ,blues ,rock )
I remember a jazz great was asked if he liked county music and he said yeah ..which county ?
cheers

soulspinner
04-02-2011, 06:23 AM
Yes :rolleyes:

Peter P.
04-02-2011, 07:20 AM
It may not be age but you're getting sucked into the middle class suburban vortex. A sure sign is being afflicted with banality, and that's caused by a new found love of oldies, classic rock, or country music (old or new).

93legendti
04-02-2011, 07:57 AM
a lot of those guys jump between genres ( county ,jazz ,blues ,rock )
I remember a jazz great was asked if he liked county music and he said yeah ..which county ?
cheers
That's true-of course the names didn't come from my list and it shows how talented they are AND that Country is not a genre only for "rednecks".

...And the song David Allan Coe calls "the greatest country song ever written" was written by a short Jewish folkie from Chicago. Pick up a copy of "No Big Surprise, the Steve Goodman Anthology" and treat yourself.

Warren Haynes played with David Allan Coe and he is a monster guitarist.

SEABREEZE
04-02-2011, 08:20 AM

Chet Atkins
Merle Travis
Joe Maphis
Roy Clark
Speedy West
Albert Lee
Jimmy Bryant
Jerry Reed
Junior Brown
Lee Roy Parnell
John Jorgensen
James Burton
Vince Gill
Keith Urban
Glenn Campbell
Brad Paisley
Jerry Donahue
Dickey Betts
Brent Mason
Ry Cooder
Arlen Roth
Will Ray
Roy Buchanan
Les Paul
Danny Gatton

93 YOU HAVE THE KING OF GUITAR RIGHT ON TOP Chet Atkins :beer:

When you here the name Chet Akins you think country, but here is a song from from his SAILS Album, everything but country

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2UbAaDu1tqk

binxnyrwarrsoul
04-02-2011, 08:24 AM
Would this be an "eclectic" playlist? No country, not a fan, but I don't hate it, either.

The National
Iron Maiden
Carbon Based Lifeforms
Warrior Soul
Adele
John Hopkins
Motorhead
Allman Brothers
Kanye West
Type O Negative
John Lee Hooker
Joe Satriani
Homeless Balloon
Slayer
Chieli Minucci
Social Distortion
Ludovico Einaudi
Elvis Presley

Climb01742
04-02-2011, 09:02 AM
two words.

conway twitty.

rugbysecondrow
04-02-2011, 09:26 AM
I have spent way to many hours in taverns and dive bars and I really enjoy country music. I have also sung karaoke way too many times with disposition towards David Allan Coe.

Welcome Geoff, no other music is as mch fun to get drunk to.

Cheers

RPS
04-02-2011, 09:54 AM
I like some country, including one of my favorite songs of all time by Roy Clark. I often listen to classic country station while driving in the Houston area -- they only play the best of the best from recent past. Nothing too old and twangy. I like many of Willie, Wallon, Highwaymen, etc…

Load the bike in the wagon and take a trip to the Texas hill country. Hop on said bike and take a ride to Luckenbach. Stop in the Post Office, mail a post card back home, and have a Shiner Bock.

If the song "Luckenbach, Texas" keeps swirling through your brain, you are hooked.Had a Shiner plus a Coke and a water from the bar last month while about 100 Harleys sat on the lot. Talking about feeling out of place in cycling gear. All good though -- everyone is friendly and looking to have a good time.

93legendti
04-02-2011, 12:42 PM
93 YOU HAVE THE KING OF GUITAR RIGHT ON TOP Chet Atkins :beer:

When you here the name Chet Akins you think country, but here is a song from from his SAILS Album, everything but country

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2UbAaDu1tqk
What genre would you say that song is? Sounds Country to me

jr59
04-02-2011, 01:07 PM
I like all music ! When it's GOOD!

chuckroast
04-02-2011, 07:17 PM
The genre known as Country Music is pretty broad, from Bluegrass all the way to Western Swing (nearly jazz music). Sure, there's some awful stuff within the spectrum, but there's plenty of good to listen to.

And.....today is Emmy Lou Harris's 64th birthday. I don't know about you guys, but I would...if I weren't married and a dork.

rugbysecondrow
04-02-2011, 08:13 PM
And.....today is Emmy Lou Harris's 64th birthday. I don't know about you guys, but I would...if I weren't married and a dork.

Yep

Aaron O
04-02-2011, 08:18 PM

I am experiencing something similar. Something is wrong, or at the very least changing. I'd rather listen to Paula Abdul's Straight Up than any Dead Kennedy's song. I find myself humming along to (groan) some Jimmy Buffet songs. I've used the expression "I have no idea what kids today listen to" multiple times. Anything angry or whiney tends to get on my nerves and I seem to have an unusual predilection towards liking the DIxie Chicks.

If I ever find myself liking jam bands, I've asked my wife to pull the plug. I can't let my quality of life degrade enough to enjoy Phish.

johnnymossville
04-02-2011, 08:49 PM
My wife found Taylor Swift playing when she took my car to work the other day. :o

johnnymossville
04-02-2011, 08:51 PM
Would this be an "eclectic" playlist? No country, not a fan, but I don't hate it, either.

The National
Iron Maiden
Carbon Based Lifeforms
Warrior Soul
Adele
John Hopkins
Motorhead
Allman Brothers
Kanye West
Type O Negative
John Lee Hooker
Joe Satriani
Homeless Balloon
Slayer
Chieli Minucci
Social Distortion
Ludovico Einaudi
Elvis Presley

Allman Bros and Elvis did some things bordering on country.

rwsaunders
04-02-2011, 10:32 PM
My favorite line from the Blues Bothers movie...

Jake..."What kind of music do you usually have here?"

Barmaid..."Why we got both kinds; country and western."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cSZfUnCK5qk&feature=youtube_gdata_player

binxnyrwarrsoul
04-03-2011, 06:11 PM
Yeah, much like his "Vegas" phase (his last), Elvis did have a "country" phase.Allman Bros and Elvis did some things bordering on country.

KeithS
04-03-2011, 08:36 PM
There I said it. Grew up listening to Old country on the radio in the barn. Bob Wills and the Texas Playboys, Merle Haggard, Hank. Rediscovered in college, late 70's in one of country music's many resurgances. Willie, Waylon, John Cash, Kris Kristofferson, the Texas contingent - Jerry Jeff Walker, Ray Wiley Hubbard, Asleep at the Wheel.

I like lots of jazz too. My view of contemporary music is neither relevant or accurate so I just don't comment. Music is a deep memory, if it stirs you, it works. We went to an Alison Kraus concert a couple of summers ago, may be the best show I've ever seen, really reminds me of Emmylou artistically.

wooly
04-03-2011, 08:48 PM
I was just asking myself the same question. We're on the same wavelength. But I'm in my early 40's - what the hell?!!

rounder
04-03-2011, 09:08 PM
I like rock n' roll, blues, country, bluegrass, and folk. I don't much about jazz, but (vaguely) remember a quote from a famous jazz guy who when asked why he liked country, said...it's the lyrics.

cmg
04-04-2011, 10:01 AM
one too many times of turning on the radio with hip hop/rap blarring or mindless metal on your favorite station? there's no variety left in rock and roll and i don't don't want to hear oldies...... yea, i feel for you. let us know what the doctor says.

LouDeeter
04-04-2011, 11:17 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v=pjkLf_X88WM&vq=medium

Now, this is country.......

Germany_chris
04-04-2011, 11:21 AM
I'd be worried, but then I listen to Punk pretty much exclusively so maybe I should be worried

snah
04-04-2011, 01:07 PM
If we can include Irish Folk, I'm in for Mumford & Sons.

But country music in general brings back horrible childhood memories of trips to Wichita, KS....

William
04-04-2011, 03:24 PM

I like Bluegrass. Does that make me more or less of a hick then you?

:rolleyes: ;) :)

William

rugbysecondrow
04-05-2011, 05:36 AM
Geoff, check out the Zac Brown Band...good music.