PDA

View Full Version : Need info on sram prices......

bkboom123
04-01-2011, 01:53 PM
Not sure where to post this, as nothing is definite. If its in the wrong area, can someone move it?

My good college friend whom I built a bike for two years ago was thinking about upgrading. The original build was a Principia aluminum frame, with mix matched cockpit, and Ultegra 6500. This build was on a bugdet to get him into the cycling scene, $450 total :beer:

The dude is super active, running, mtb, road biking, bball, races, etc... So he wants to modernize the bike and get rid of his triple.

He absolutely loved Sram when he came up from boston last summer to do some riding around 'Toga on my bike.

I basically want to know whats out there for him. His budget is limited and he wants to know the cost of things to see if he can afford to upgrade.
I have a DA cassette and chain I am giving him, and I figure he can just use his old Ultegra brakes.
So I am looking to see whats out there on the cheap for these things:

Sram Shifters (rival most likely) cheap!
Sram FD, RD (rival or whatever is cheap that works)
Sram Crank and English BB

Just trying to get an idea whats out there to see if he can "make the leap". Obviously, looking for stuff in good working order.

vqdriver
04-01-2011, 02:13 PM
Unless he goes all the way to red I think he can get away with apex or even older silver rival without missing much if any functionality. The only other thing he needs is a rear der which can be had for cheap since I believe they're the road SRAM is interchangeable.

oliver1850
04-01-2011, 02:36 PM

bkboom123
04-01-2011, 04:33 PM
How would I go about using a triple old ultegra crankset on a double?

oliver1850
04-01-2011, 09:42 PM

jghall
04-02-2011, 06:26 AM
As Oliver says, just depends on how long you want to look. Or if you are willing to pay a tad more for new.

Recently I bought fairly mint rival(carbon) shifters for $160 and $175 respectively. Believe new goes for around $225.

Rear D can be had new for $50, so not sure it is worth saving $10 trying to find new.

As someone else mentioned, try to find older alloy. While some differences, not a deal breaker to me. Any crank will work, even the very reasonable centaut ut crank someone has for sale here for only like $50.