PDA

View Full Version : New Bike Negotiations

ridemoreoften
04-01-2011, 09:51 AM
I thought it would be interesting to hear how folks on the forum negotiate with their spouse when considering buying a new bike? I've run out of the usual like it's good for my health, heart, good investment, last one I'll ever need - promise, etc., etc, etc.

rugbysecondrow
04-01-2011, 09:53 AM
I thought it would be interesting to hear how folks on the forum negotiate with their spouse when considering buying a new bike? I've run out of the usual like it's good for my health, heart, good investment, last one I'll ever need - promise, etc., etc, etc.

Bought and installed a new bathroom vanity, then I bought a new bike. Bought her a new watch, then I bought a new bike. Take care of her first, then yourself and her generosity will flow.

Cheers,

Paul

benb
04-01-2011, 09:55 AM
I used it as a condition of selling my motorcycle...

She wants me to sell the motorcycle before we have kids, and I don't really care as I'm not riding it much anymore..

But I slipped in I'd be replacing it with a cross bike or tourer or something.. she was very happy with that idea.

I don't know if you've got anything more expensive & more dangerous then bikes that you don't really care about to trade off though!

gone
04-01-2011, 09:57 AM
No negotiation required. If I want a new bike, I buy it. If she wants a remodeled kitchen, she gets it. We're both adults, we both know what our financial situation is and we act accordingly. The only time we "negotiate" is on things that affect both of us: changing jobs, moving, where to go on vacation, etc.

BobbyJones
04-01-2011, 09:59 AM
My problem may be unique- mine tries to talk me INTO buying new bikes!

AngryScientist
04-01-2011, 10:00 AM
I don't know if you've got anything more expensive & more dangerous then bikes that you don't really care about to trade off though!

spring the fact that you have a wild coke addiction on her. then : "OK - i'll give up the blow, but i'm buying a bike to ease the transition"

vsefiream
04-01-2011, 10:09 AM
I just bought her an I-phone 4, seems to be working... for now

avalonracing
04-01-2011, 10:11 AM
Here's what I use:
"I'm buying a new bike."
Sometimes I use:
"I bought a new bike".

(I've also found that this "negotiation" works for motorcycles and cars too).

Seriously though, if we had kids or debt I wouldn't be so cavalier about it but we made choices to have a certain lifestyle and this is one of the benefits.

I do know a guy who makes a good living as a doctor and they are well off, he still has to negotiate when he wants something (and he often loses the negotiation) I just don't get that.

Ken Robb
04-01-2011, 10:21 AM
I'd bet that leaving new Porsche brochures around the house with some pix circled and a couple of salesman's cards attached would make a new Ottrot look like a real bargain. :)

SamIAm
04-01-2011, 10:21 AM
spring the fact that you have a wild coke addiction on her. then : "OK - i'll give up the blow, but i'm buying a bike to ease the transition"

Not that's funny!

SamIAm
04-01-2011, 10:24 AM
I'd bet that leaving new Porsche brochures around the house with some pix circled and a couple of salesman's cards attached would make a new Ottrot look like a real bargain. :)

Good stuff there too.

I have it easy (but expensive) since my wife is a custom bicycle enthusiast and so every time I get one, she get's one.

CNY rider
04-01-2011, 10:38 AM

What about the hookers? Do you have to give up the blow AND the hookers just to get a bike?

jr59
04-01-2011, 10:45 AM
What about the hookers? Do you have to give up the blow AND the hookers just to get a bike?

Hey look It's charlie sheen! And he is WINNING!

veloduffer
04-01-2011, 11:01 AM

"I'm having a mid-life crisis and it's cheaper than a Corvette or Porsche."

dave thompson
04-01-2011, 11:06 AM
I've said this before; my wife is my riding partner and cycling 'secretary'. I keep up/maintain/repair as necessary our bikes, she plans and schedules our major organized rides. So when brown leaves a large box on our porch, all she says is "Got another bike eh?" I think it's fair trade.

kohlboto
04-01-2011, 11:07 AM
I'm going through this right now as I finalize a new Crema with Hampco...my approach is that of equilibrium...As long as I sell off gear to pay for, or underwrite a majority, of the cost of new stuff there is relative peace and harmony in our household.

veloduffer
04-01-2011, 11:07 AM
Better yet, show her the thread on Cyclist Man Caves (http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=84018&page), particularly khrea's setup. No way can you seem excessive.... :beer:

biker72
04-01-2011, 11:37 AM
We have household money, my money and her money.
New fridge?? Household money
New bike?? My money.
New outfit to go on a trip with? Her money.

My biggest problem is room. All my bikes have to fit in my office.

akelman
04-01-2011, 11:41 AM
a new Crema with Hampco

Wait, another one? Nice!

kohlboto
04-01-2011, 11:50 AM
Wait, another one? Nice!

yeah, current one is too small so I negotiated a replacement with my wife, hence the garage sale and putting the current one on the block in the next day or two...

akelman
04-01-2011, 11:52 AM
yeah, current one is too small so I negotiated a replacement with my wife, hence the garage sale and putting the current one on the block in the next day or two...

I'm afraid to even ask, but what size is it?

kohlboto
04-01-2011, 11:55 AM
I'm afraid to even ask, but what size is it?

56.2 C-C, 57 TT, 155.6 HT. PM if you want more info, I don't want to derail this thread, I like this topic.

ultraman6970
04-01-2011, 11:57 AM
Hide your money at paypal, she wont see money moving in the bank account so she wont complain.

Buy and sell enough so the vice becomes self sustained.

veloduffer
04-01-2011, 11:59 AM
Question: does she have to clear it with you for a new handbag, shoes, or outfit/dress? All's fair....plus you'll use your bike more often than she will use her stuff.

akelman
04-01-2011, 12:04 PM
I don't want to derail this thread, I like this topic.

Actually, I thought we were right on topic. Which is to say, I'll shoot you a PM if the negotiations go well.

kohlboto
04-01-2011, 12:16 PM
Actually, I thought we were right on topic. Which is to say, I'll shoot you a PM if the negotiations go well.

touche, my friend...well said.
A real life application of theory being played out right before our eyes?

dcpdpayne
04-01-2011, 12:24 PM
I've avoided the entire issue by just not getting a wife. My cat asks few questions as long as she has a clean litter box and a few toys that squeak. Girlfriends are another matter. When one told me that she really thought I could spend my money on better investiments I agreed and as she was my largest per month ticket item I nixed her from the budget and bought some new tires.

gasman
04-01-2011, 12:26 PM
Funny this being brought up. We are staring a bathroom remodel due to a leaky shower base. She just said yesterday-no new wheels for now. I gotta agree since our budget can't handle it. We don't hide purchases from each other but do talk about big ones so we are on the same page.
I did sneak in that's it's better to ride $5,000 wheels on a $500 frame than vice-versa.

akelman
04-01-2011, 12:27 PM
I've avoided the entire issue by just not getting a wife. My cat asks few questions as long as she has a clean litter box and a few toys that squeak. Girlfriends are another matter. When one told me that she really thought I could spend my money on better investiments I agreed and as she was my largest per month ticket item I nixed her from the budget and bought some new tires.

There's a joke here, but I can't find it. "That's not what the valve stem is for." is close but not quite there. Someone help me out, please.

veloduffer
04-01-2011, 12:44 PM

ROFL!

slowandsteady
04-01-2011, 12:57 PM

A friend tried this once and ended up with a new car he absolutely DID NOT WANT!!!

ridemoreoften
04-01-2011, 04:48 PM
So far, I vote for the equilibrium approach. I'd like to buy a new bike this year and that might work but I hate getting ride of my current stable. I'm thinking if I put in 5K miles this year which would be a milestone for me, I deserve a new ride and have an angle that my wife can't object to. We also discuss big purchases, but a purse vs $5-7K??? We have a great marriage but she is burned out on the bike stuff mainly because she doesn't ride. Yet another challenge.

thenewguy11
04-01-2011, 05:10 PM
I beg. Its not really a negotiation because she doesn't get anything out of it. Nor does she have a hobby that compares in terms of cost. She loves to ski but she could buy new skis three or four times every season to even approach what a new bike costs.

I was fortunate enough to be promoted at the end of last year so I used that as an excuse to buy a dream custom road bike. She said OK and when I told her it was going to be around $15k, she about punched me in the face (figuratively speaking of course). I've backed off on that substantially and think I'll settle for a new cross bike instead.

Scott Shire
04-01-2011, 05:23 PM
My gf caught me looking at the Serotta demo page whilst drooling over the little orange bike and doing calculations. I tried the, "Look, Ash -- what a great deal!"

Her response: "Unless it says Merckx on the side and set a record in 1972, it's still awfully expensive." :crap: Crap, now she's been with me long enough to have just enough knowledge to be dangerous!

BengeBoy
04-01-2011, 05:24 PM
Let your wife and daughter get a horse.

Your bike expenses will pale by comparison, no matter how hard you try.

salem
04-01-2011, 07:33 PM
My gal is a professional violinist. I made her a deal when we were first together: I'd never apologize for going riding if she never apologized for having to practice. It has worked without a hitch. Also, her violin cost more than all my bikes combined, although it does take up a lot less space.

roydyates
04-01-2011, 07:52 PM
Better yet, show her the thread on Cyclist Man Caves (http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=84018&page), particularly khrea's setup. No way can you seem excessive.... :beer:
My wife says "Just because other people are crazier than you, doesn't mean you're not crazy." I can't complain; she says it in the nicest most constructive way.

93legendti
04-01-2011, 07:57 PM
Bought and installed a new bathroom vanity, then I bought a new bike. Bought her a new watch, then I bought a new bike. Take care of her first, then yourself and her generosity will flow.

Cheers,

Paul
Paul's got the secret. You shouldn't have to negotiate, if your wife/significant other/spouse is also getting what's important to him/her.

Pete Serotta
04-01-2011, 08:09 PM
Paul's got the secret. You shouldn't have to negotiate, if your wife/significant other/spouse is also getting what's important to him/her.

YEP!!!!

My wife and I have been behaving for 30 plus years like this.

She has also been the rock of hope and support for me since becoming ill.

Besides being my friend and sharer of life and smiles :D

ehaydin
04-01-2011, 08:26 PM
buy her one first. top of the line- nothing held back.
it's clear sailing after that.

Frankwurst
04-01-2011, 08:34 PM

[QUOTE=Serotta_Pete]YEP!!!!

My wife and I have been behaving for 30 plus years like this.

She has also been the rock of hope and support for me since becoming ill.

Besides being my wife she is my friend and sharer of life and smiles :D

31 years functioning like this with my wife and it still works. Always seemed like a pretty simple concept to us. :beer: