PDA

View Full Version : Can a seatpost be inserted too far into the seat tube?

93legendti
04-01-2011, 09:21 AM
Can you insert a seatpost too far into the seat tube? I have a 54cm Ti Concours and the seat tube extends a bit above the top tube. I usually ride 53cm bikes, I got this used form a forumite.

I am using an older style Easton EA70 aluminum post. Unlike Easton's EC-70 carbon post, this has no max insertion line. Right now, the shaft of the post protrudes 65mm above the seat tube. This style of Easton post has a long aluminum clamp bonded to an aluminum shaft.

Thanks.

AngryScientist
04-01-2011, 09:24 AM
the only reason why this would be a problem is if the post was butted differently along its length, if it doesnt have a max insertion indication, should be A-OK.

93legendti
04-01-2011, 09:26 AM
the only reason why this would be a problem is if the post was butted differently along its length, if it doesnt have a max insertion indication, should be A-OK.
Thanks.

tv_vt
04-01-2011, 09:28 AM
Some very long posts might also hit the water bottle bolts on a shorter seat tube.

AngryScientist
04-01-2011, 09:31 AM
Some very long posts might also hit the water bottle bolts on a shorter seat tube.

thats true, but would be a very obvious problem.

firerescuefin
04-01-2011, 09:40 AM
AngryS....nice try, but I think you lack the metaphysical and psychic skills to make such assertions about seatposts in a bike :cool: