PDA

View Full Version : Eliminate Pinching

zap
02-06-2004, 10:30 AM
Clincher fans, no more pinch flats!!!!!!

Mavic & Michelin are introducing a tubeless road clincher system to the Pro ranks. Similiar system to what was introduced to Mountain Biking a few years ago.

Prost!

flydhest
02-06-2004, 10:47 AM
zap brings up a topic that I wonder about often. I ride tubulars a lot, but have clinchers on my commuting bike and another set of wheels for my road bike, so I don't care much about "which is better." Nevertheless, I hear comments from tubie-heads that one of the benefits is the elimination of pinch flats and now this clincher-tubular thing. How often does anyone get pinch flats with properly inflated tires? I have weighed as much as 220 (though I did drop 35 pounds) and never in Lord knows how many years of ride, ever had a pinch flat on a road bike.

Mountain bike, yes, low pressure for traction, yadda yadda, but not on the road.

zap, how different is the design from Tufo's clincher tubular?

Ginger
02-06-2004, 11:01 AM
That's funny...I've had pinch flats in properly inflated road clinchers, but not on my mountain bike...

I would think the tubeless road system would carry the same rotating weight penalty as the tubeless mountain bike tires do. Perhaps if you were plauged by pinch flats you might want to slap some of those on your bike, maybe for touring or some such, but certainly not for racing or if you're a weight weenie!

Unless they've really pared the weight down I pity the poor pro riders stuck riding the tubless system for their sponsors (Here, let me put a brick in your pocket) I wonder how long before the UCI declares them illegal in races?

oracle
02-06-2004, 11:09 AM
the design is very different flydhest, as the tufo system employs a full tubular tire that has a mounting strip attached to it, one which fits over the beads of most normal rims, whereas the michelin/mavic system will utilise proprietay rim hook and tire bead designs that will necessitate the use of both products together. furthermore, this is a tubeless system, while we all know that tubies have, well, tubs.

:beer:

oracle

zap
02-06-2004, 11:20 AM
I had a pinch flat earlier this year. I went over a mini trench construction crews cut into an intersection near my house. My screw up but I hit the trailing edge pretty hard. First pinch flat in quite some time.

My mountain bike, 2 pinch flats in 10 years.

The Tufo clincher/Tubby solution works with existing clincher designs. My understanding is that Tufo's solution is quite difficult to install. The tubeless clincher solution will use a modified clincher rim and tire to prevent air from escaping. Spoke holes will be eliminated and a seal around the presta valve will be used. Just like automobiles.

Ginger is correct that the rim/tire combo will be heavier than the current clincher solution. However, rolling resistance will diminsh slightly as there is no friction between tire and inner tube. How much of a trade off is there?? Don't know.

However, Stan's will probably expand into the roadie market which should bring the weight back down.

flydhest
02-06-2004, 12:43 PM
well I'll be swizzled. Ginger, maybe I should get you a new tire gauge as a birthday present

:)

Thanks for the info everyone, it's always fun to learn.

Spinner
02-06-2004, 01:44 PM
no pinch flats for me for over 5 years. i overinflate my tires by +/- 10 lbs. i weigh 185 and ride michelins and contis on open pro wheels.