PDA

View Full Version : Campagnolo U-brakes for 2012

fiamme red
03-31-2011, 10:18 PM
http://www.campagnolo.com/jsp/en/newsdetail/newsid_206_newscatid_3.jsp

"U BRAKES"

To complete the range of components for time trial disciplines, Campagnolo offers "U Brakes" in a forged aluminium, black anodized version.

The brake-pad holders can be adjusted to achieve optimal alignment with the braking track ensuring consistently safe and confident braking. The pad compound has been created by Campagnolo in order to obtain top performance in braking. The brakes are available in a lateral pull version for the front and central or lateral pull for the rear.

http://www.campagnolo.com/repository/news/img2/TT_U_Brakes.jpg

oliver1850
03-31-2011, 11:37 PM

Louis
04-01-2011, 01:14 AM
The brake-pad holders can be adjusted to achieve optimal alignment with the braking track ensuring consistently safe and confident braking.

So existing Campy brakes do not you allow you to do this? :confused:

You learn something new every day.

Rueda Tropical
04-01-2011, 04:43 AM
Maybe they will sell to triathletes, but they look a bit too much like Weinmanns for me. All they lack is a crappy tarnished finish. And does the noodle really belong on a road bike?

The noodle allows mounting behind the fork for aero advantage.

RPS
04-01-2011, 06:57 AM
They look just like the Oval/Tektro brakes to me. I have a set in my office I've been meaning to install on a future bike.

For what it's worth, the measured mechanical advantage appears significantly lower than a dual pivot caliper so I wouldn't expect very good braking on a "road" bike at the front. For Tri bike or at the rear it's probably OK but I doubt I'll find the front brake strong enough for my liking.

salem
04-01-2011, 07:12 AM
Do the Italians celebrate April Fool's day?

ultraman6970
04-01-2011, 07:15 AM
Probably

oldpotatoe
04-01-2011, 07:32 AM
Maybe they will sell to triathletes, but they look a bit too much like Weinmanns for me. All they lack is a crappy tarnished finish. And does the noodle really belong on a road bike?

It's for the 'new' brakes behind the BB shell TT bikes and 'hidden' brakes on some TT forks that is all the rage now. There are some already on bikes and they are a huge PITA to set up and make work. Most ya gotta take the crank off to even be able to get a tool on them...

RPS
04-01-2011, 01:34 PM
For comparison.

Mark McM
04-01-2011, 08:31 PM
For what it's worth, the measured mechanical advantage appears significantly lower than a dual pivot caliper so I wouldn't expect very good braking on a "road" bike at the front.

By my eye, it appears that the mechanical advantage will be well under 1:1, and closer to the 0.5:1 ratio of the traditional (hi-profile) cantilevers found on many 'cross bikes (in comparison, single pivot road brakes have about 1:1 ration, and dual pivot brakes have about 1.6:1).

But to make up for it, the placement of the pivot points will give the pads an upward arcing travel, so if the pads wear down enough they will rub against the tire sidewalls.

These brakes may have some (small) aerodynamic advantage, but from a braking performance perspective they are giant step backwards.

soulspinner
04-02-2011, 06:40 AM
Last time I time trialed I never touched the brakes......... they dont need to be really great stoppers, its all about eeeeking out another second or two or.......

RPS
04-02-2011, 10:14 AM
By my eye, it appears that the mechanical advantage will be well under 1:1, and closer to the 0.5:1 ratio of the traditional (hi-profile) cantilevers found on many 'cross bikes (in comparison, single pivot road brakes have about 1:1 ration, and dual pivot brakes have about 1.6:1).

But to make up for it, the placement of the pivot points will give the pads an upward arcing travel, so if the pads wear down enough they will rub against the tire sidewalls.

These brakes may have some (small) aerodynamic advantage, but from a braking performance perspective they are giant step backwards.
Mark, I bought the set but only plan to use the rear brake mounted under the chainstays with the noodle coming off the non-drive side for clearance. If I could have found a viable “mirror-image” standard caliper I’d use that instead.

Having said that, I think for the rear it’s probably good enough to lock up the tire on a single bike. I’d never put either of them on a heavy bike like a tandem -- I doubt these brakes would stop my tandem on a 20% descent.

The worse part (other than mechanical advantage being poor) is that it appears very non-linear. Varying the rim width or having the pads wear down will affect the mechanical advantage considerably. Fortunately I don’t use the rear brake that much so I shouldn’t get much variation.