PDA

View Full Version : Carbon Fork Questions

vsefiream
03-31-2011, 04:25 PM
I have done a quick thread search and haven't found anything that helps (possibly due to poor scanning skills), so be easy on me....
I haven't rode much in a number of years and back when I did, my NHX had the stock steel curved blade fork, 1" threaded. Now I am thinking about switching my Atlanta (when it arrives) to 1" threadless and possibly a carbon fork. Other than weight what are the advantages of a carbon fork? What difference does straight blades make vs. curved blades, stiffness I think? I'm looking for a little education on the ins and outs of carbon forks, maybe an FAQ??
My overall goals are to have a light responsive bike that will be used mostly for commuting and possibly lead back into racing.
Thanks

Germany_chris
03-31-2011, 04:48 PM
That is one of those questions you ask Google..

it's really to broad for a forum posting IMO

thwart
03-31-2011, 04:53 PM
The trend to replacing original steel forks with carbon has kinda run its course, I think. You lose typically 0.5-0.75 lbs in weight, but also lose the ride of a steel fork.

Classic steel Serotta forks are among the best, so save some money there and spend it on some really nice wheels instead.

IMHO.

old_fat_and_slow
03-31-2011, 04:57 PM
This is almost like asking should I buy Campy or Shimano. Yer gonna get a lot of varying opinions.

I think you hit on the main advantage already. It is weight. You'll also hear all the crabon fiber proponents talk about how great carbon is at damping out all the high-frequency road buzz, but I really never noticed a difference. I also don't think straight versus curved blades makes a difference as long as the rake of the two forks is identical. I think curved versus straight is just aesthetics.

What does make a difference is fork rake. If you change the rake with your new forks, the steering characteristics of your bike will change.

If your current forks are steel, and you go to an all crabon fiber model with a crabon steerer, you will probably notice a little difference when climbing because of the decreased weight.

YMMV and you're probably going to get a lot of answers that disagree with me.

Mike748
03-31-2011, 05:42 PM
There's also nothing wrong with threaded if you buy a good stem.

rustychisel
03-31-2011, 06:05 PM
A good carbon fork is a wonderful thing indeed, but the only time I noticed an immediate and 'must have' benefit was when I swapped a 1inch Sintesi carbon fork for an alloy fork on an all alloy bike. The ride and handling was significantly enhanced.

Peter P.
03-31-2011, 06:14 PM
I would not recommend a 1" carbon steerer.

Carbon steerers have reduced strength and stiffness compared to a steel steerer of the same diameter. Carbon steerers recover some of that loss with the larger, 1 1/8" steerer.

One advantage of a carbon fork vs. steel (other than weight), would be vibration damping. Some people prefer more road feedback and therefore steel forks, however.

Regarding straight vs. curved blades on a carbon fork: other than aesthetics and a small weight savings, there is no difference. You can make a curved blade just as stiff as a straight one if you use the correct carbon lay-ups.

MRB
03-31-2011, 10:13 PM
It depends on the road surfaces that your commute (and potential racing) will typically be done on. Carbon forks ride a little nicer on smooth roads. Steel forks ride nicer on rougher roads. It sounds counter intuitive.

Unless you have very little excess body weight (aka fat) I would go stick with your steel fork.

fogrider
04-01-2011, 12:16 AM
I have had a steel bike with a steel fork and rode it for years before selling it. I still have one steel bike with a steel fork. is there a difference in ride? yes. which is better? well, for short rides, it really doesn't matter. for rides over 25 miles, I'll go with a carbon fork. I've done centuries on a steel fork and I've notice a difference.

oldpotatoe
04-01-2011, 07:40 AM
I have done a quick thread search and haven't found anything that helps (possibly due to poor scanning skills), so be easy on me....
I haven't rode much in a number of years and back when I did, my NHX had the stock steel curved blade fork, 1" threaded. Now I am thinking about switching my Atlanta (when it arrives) to 1" threadless and possibly a carbon fork. Other than weight what are the advantages of a carbon fork? What difference does straight blades make vs. curved blades, stiffness I think? I'm looking for a little education on the ins and outs of carbon forks, maybe an FAQ??
My overall goals are to have a light responsive bike that will be used mostly for commuting and possibly lead back into racing.
Thanks

Weight is the difference particularly when comparing it to a nice steel fork. You gotta decide if being lighter is any 'advantage'.

The rake is achieved at the crown on straight blades and straight blades are mostly for looks, not any better function and are cheaper to make.

srice
04-01-2011, 07:48 AM
I would not recommend a 1" carbon steerer.

One advantage of a carbon fork vs. steel (other than weight), would be vibration damping. Some people prefer more road feedback and therefore steel forks, however.

My favorite ride, a Richard Sachs, has a steel fork. This year at TX Hellweek I did something a little different. I took a bike with a carbon fork (an Edge) and carbon bars as my second bike. Some of the roads in TX are very nasty chip seal. I definitely noticed a difference in comfort on those roads. I liked the carbon. My normal roads in KY are asphalt and I prefer the responsiveness (geometry more than material statement) of my Sachs fork.