PDA

View Full Version : OT - Wool T-Shirts

BobbyJones
03-31-2011, 02:11 PM
I did my growing up in the age of synthetics, but with all the talk of "modern wool" I decided to give it try and bit the bullet on an Ibex Giro s/s cycling top a few months ago.

Since we're still in the throes somewhat of winter I've held off riding with the jersey and purchased an Ibex l/s woolies base layer for all around-testing to check *ahem* long term anti-stinkiness as I'll be doing some touring and traveling this summer.

I must say I'm very impressed. I'm now looking for something that is closer to a regular t-shirt cut and feel, but in wool. I'm leaning towards Ibex as they're made in the USA and offer a couple of styles that look like a normal t-shirt.

Anyone have any other experiences with different brands - again something that you'd compare to a regular ol' heavyweight cotton T?

TIA

Likes2ridefar
03-31-2011, 02:37 PM
I have a few icebreaker short sleeve shirts in the lightest (i think) wool they make. I'm skinny and they fit me like a glove (6' 153lb) size Medium. they are my go to shirt and are excellent for travel since they pack down very small, and can be worn numerous times without seeming dirty.

i think these are the ones I have: http://www.icebreaker.com/site/icebreaker_man_beast150_ss_apollo_crewe.html

fmbp
03-31-2011, 02:38 PM
I'm pretty wild about my Jones Wears merino t-shirt that I got for x-mas. Although, a quick look at their website (http://www.joneswares.com/) suggests that they are not running at full tilt right now. Bummer.

Anyway, the shirt itself is not loose like a typical cotton tee, but fits tighter like a baselayer. Nevertheless, it's fantastic, warm, and not itchy. It's had very regular use since I received it (multiple wears per week), and it remains in perfect condition.

I hope that helps. I have no ties with the company.

AngryScientist
03-31-2011, 02:39 PM
not cheap, but swobo has some decent ones. they have great sales every now and then too.

http://www.swobo.com/catalog/product_info_m.php?cPath=2045_2046

93legendti
03-31-2011, 03:44 PM
I have sensitive skin and for me the Smartwool Micro and Light weight t-shirts (in long and short sleeves) are the best. The Icebreaker Skin 200 is also vg. I'd say the Smartwool Llightweight and Icebreaker Skin 200 are the most t-shirt like. If you want thickness like heavy cotton, then you need to go up to 230 or 260g, like Smartwool Midweight or Icebreaker 260. Minus33 is also very good.

thwart
03-31-2011, 08:47 PM
I wear the Rapha short sleeve baselayers as T-shirts year-round. Yes, pricey, but very good stuff. I've got 'sensitive skin' as well... but no problem.

jischr
03-31-2011, 08:53 PM
Ice breaker Tech T's year round. Some Icebreaker styles are cut roomy and others tight so check the description if you go that route. I also have a minus33 shirt but its a heavier weight and I don't wear it during summer.

Kirk007
03-31-2011, 09:31 PM
icebreaker 150 and up are great.

93legendti
03-31-2011, 09:48 PM
I wear the Rapha short sleeve baselayers as T-shirts year-round. Yes, pricey, but very good stuff. I've got 'sensitive skin' as well... but no problem.
Are the Rapha's 100% wool?

572cv
03-31-2011, 09:59 PM
As a completely partisan Vermonter, I say stick with the great product. I have had great success with all my Ibex garments, very comfortable, non stinky as with synthetics- with me at least- and attractively designed. Often if you are patient, what you are looking for comes around on a bit of a sale. Good company, AND, they stand behind their products.

jonnyBgood
03-31-2011, 10:56 PM
I completely agree that iBex has great products.

I have a couple short sleeve jerseys as well as the wool bibshorts. I have worn them in about 75 degree weather without over heating. I have the arm and knee warmers also.

Mornings here in Colorado in the mountains can be pretty damn chilly and being able to use a good product early and still being able to ride into high noon when the sun is beating down on you is a good thing.

I haven't tried any of there baselayers just yet.

CNY rider
04-01-2011, 05:35 AM
Another vote for Ibex.
I have the wool t-shirt.
It sees tremendous use, whether as undergarment for winter cycling and skiing, or just a nice comfy t-shirt for general wear. Has held up to heavy use and many washings with no problems.

titans
04-01-2011, 08:03 AM
Another vote for IBEX. Had Swobo merino wool jersey before and it just got chewed up in the wash. I guess hand wash with woolite for Swobo is best but not so with IBEX. I tend to be fairly harsh on my cycling duds and throw everything in the washer and then right into the dryer. Two winter seasons with IBEX so far and it looks as good as new. They have some great outlet sales going on now.

Spinner
04-01-2011, 08:22 AM
... is the $55.00 short sleave from Rivendell.

http://www.rivbike.com/products/show/men-s-wool-ss-t/22-844

If I had only one shirt, this would be it.

Cheers.

thwart
04-01-2011, 08:54 AM
Are the Rapha's 100% wool?Yep, 100% Merino wool. I've had some that have been washed 30-40 times, no trouble, still look new (well, the cream colored ones have become a little yellowed in the armpits---buy black). And don't bother my skin even in the cold, dry winter.

Dan Le foot
04-01-2011, 09:00 AM
icebreaker 150 and up are great.
+1.
I have 8 Icerbreaker tees. Really all I wear these days. One in the 150 wieght.
The rest 200 weight. I wear them about 4 days before putting in the wash.
Not cheap. About $65. But in the long run they are a very good value.
Dan

93legendti
04-01-2011, 09:18 AM
Yep, 100% Merino wool. I've had some that have been washed 30-40 times, no trouble, still look new (well, the cream colored ones have become a little yellowed in the armpits---buy black). And don't bother my skin even in the cold, dry winter.
Cool, good to know. I'm gonna check them out. I aksed because, iirc, some of their jerseys are wool/poly blends.
Thanks.

BobbyJones
04-01-2011, 09:38 AM
Dan,

Can you suggest an Icebreaker style that is NOT a base-layer type fit? It's hard to tell with the model photos on their site- I sure ain't built like any of those guys.

+1.
Dan

BobbyJones
04-01-2011, 09:47 AM
Looks like the Rapha's are too form fitting for what I'm looking for. I was going to ask if you're paying the 25% upcharge just for the Rapha name in comparison to the other brands but then I saw the 3-pack deal (http://www.rapha.cc/base-layer-3-pack). Not bad.

Wilkinson4
04-01-2011, 09:58 AM
How about some bamboo t's?

http://www.swrvestore.com/servlet/Detail?no=99

mIKE

93legendti
04-01-2011, 01:11 PM
How about some bamboo t's?

http://www.swrvestore.com/servlet/Detail?no=99

mIKE
Looks like a nice alternative...have you tried any of their products?

pdmtong
04-01-2011, 03:09 PM
Rapha or icebreaker....!

fmbp
04-01-2011, 03:33 PM
Looks like a nice alternative...have you tried any of their products?

I have one of their wool longsleeve baselayers, and it is decent. Kinda baggy, actually. I would put it on par with the offerings from Smartwool, but not as nice as Icebreaker, Wabi Woolens, or Joneswear. I also have a pair of their WWR knickers, and they are the bee's knees. A great product.

93legendti
04-01-2011, 04:01 PM
I have one of their wool longsleeve baselayers, and it is decent. Kinda baggy, actually. I would put it on par with the offerings from Smartwool, but not as nice as Icebreaker, Wabi Woolens, or Joneswear. I also have a pair of their WWR knickers, and they are the bee's knees. A great product.
what about the bamboo shirts?

fmbp
04-01-2011, 04:07 PM
what about the bamboo shirts?

can't comment on those. sorry.

93legendti
04-01-2011, 05:49 PM
another bamboo shirt source:

http://www.bambooclothes.com/clothes/MTT.html

BobbyJones
04-01-2011, 08:36 PM
here goes the thread drift- Lets talk about synthetics & cotton next!

seatown7
04-05-2011, 01:51 AM
Damn you guys...I just spent almost $200 on Ibex wear...it is lovely though...and it was all on sale!

93legendti
04-07-2011, 09:59 AM
+1.
Dan
I just got a Icebreaker 150 Superfine long sleeve and a 200 Superfine long sleeve hoody. Both are MUCH softer than my older Icebreaker 150 and 200 products. The Superfine is a very nice pruduct.

jt2gt
04-07-2011, 12:27 PM
I just got a Icebreaker 150 Superfine long sleeve and a 200 Superfine long sleeve hoody. Both are MUCH softer than my older Icebreaker 150 and 200 products. The Superfine is a very nice pruduct.

93...did you get them from Icebreaker or find them on sale somewhere? What size do you go with in Icebreaker stuff. Thanks...JT

buldogge
04-07-2011, 01:13 PM
FWIW...I'm 6'/180#/42" chest and I wear a L in Icebreaker. If I want a loose/casual fit the XL is fine although the sleeves can be a little long/loose.

-Mark in St. Louis

93...did you get them from Icebreaker or find them on sale somewhere? What size do you go with in Icebreaker stuff. Thanks...JT

93legendti
04-07-2011, 02:21 PM
Hey,
I got the 150 on sale from Backcountry. I bought a large, cuz I wanted a loose fitting shirt. The 200 hoodie I got from Sierra Trading Post, also on sale. I got a large, it was the only size they had. On most of the Icebreaker stuff I take a medium, unless it's the slim fit, then I size up.

93legendti
04-08-2011, 08:23 PM
FWIW, I'm wearing my new Arbor Bamboo t-shirt (70% bamboo, 30% cotton) and it feels like any other cotton t-????.

http://www.backcountry.com/arbor-taylor-v-neck-t-shirt-short-sleeve-mens