PDA

View Full Version : chris king hub volume

AngryScientist
03-31-2011, 12:59 PM
for years i've lusted over a wheelset built around pretty in pink classic CK hubs. these wheels arrived this week, in pristine condition, look to have a few hundred miles on them max.

i've heard numerous reports about how loud king hubs are. "angry bees" and all that jazz. i actually like loud hubs, so this appealed to me. turns out these hubs are certainly no louder than my campy hubs, i was expecting louder, or more distinct, but that's really not the case.

just an observation.

bambam
03-31-2011, 01:06 PM
I've always liked the sound of them myself. The clicks just seem to come along quicker and if your in front of someone with them you might get out of the way faster for fear of being run over.
I've always liked the sound of the hugi hubs as well.

DogpawSlim
03-31-2011, 01:32 PM
CK hubs tend to get louder as the lube dries up or goes wherever lube goes. IMO, a properly lubed CK be pretty muffled. Like a distant chainsaw...

I had a set on a mountain bike. After a few rides in wet/muddy conditions, they were loud. Some lube, and they were quiet again.

godfrey1112000
03-31-2011, 01:42 PM
I have riden thousands of miles with a friend who has them, yes they are loud but dependable

a little lub maybe

but they are sweet but my DT's are better and very quite

AngryScientist
03-31-2011, 01:47 PM

define "better"

ergott
03-31-2011, 01:56 PM
This thread needs pictures.

http://ergottwheels.smugmug.com/Sports/The-bikes/MG4674/1080069679_AS264-XL.jpg

:beer:

old_fat_and_slow
03-31-2011, 02:01 PM
@ Eric

What is that black appendage in your photie on the non-drive side that is connected to the chain stay and seat stay? Is that some retro-fit kickstand ?

ergott
03-31-2011, 02:06 PM
@ Eric

What is that black appendage in your photie on the non-drive side that is connected to the chain stay and seat stay? Is that some retro-fit kickstand ?

http://www.greenfieldny.com/images/bicycle/stabilizer.jpg

Greenfield rear mount kickstand. I have panniers and need to prop the bike to get into the bags easier.

akelman
03-31-2011, 02:32 PM
for years i've lusted over a wheelset built around pretty in pink classic CK hubs

This is the only reason I sometimes consider forsaking Campy. But I'm in too deep at this point. Sunk costs, path dependencies, call it whatever you want. Still, I'd love to rock a Pretty and Strong wheelset and headset (I have one of these lying around, actually) on one of my bikes. Oh well, I'm just another guy dreaming about the day that Chris King decides to make Campy-compatible hubs, I guess.

AngryScientist
03-31-2011, 02:34 PM
This is the only reason I sometimes consider forsaking Campy. But I'm in too deep at this point. Sunk costs, path dependencies, call it whatever you want. Still, I'd love to rock a Pretty and Strong wheelset and headset (I have one of these lying around, actually) on one of my bikes. Oh well, I'm just another guy dreaming about the day that Chris King decides to make Campy-compatible hubs, I guess.

for the record, i'm rocking the CK hubs on my campy-10 rig, using a 9-sp shimano cassette, no-pro-blemo.

Benjamin
03-31-2011, 02:43 PM

What DTs?

I have a 240S wheelset, and they are quite loud compared to my DAs.

I had Record hubs, which were louder than the Shimanos, but more quiet than the DTs.

I've never ridden CKs, but have a pair on the way.

firerescuefin
03-31-2011, 02:56 PM
define "better"

Defined

Better (Bet-er) -adjective: I don't own a set of Chris Kings and would like to convince myself that my current set of wheels are superior to yours.

In a sentence: Your wheels dominate mine, but mine are better.

;) :beer:

AngryScientist
03-31-2011, 02:57 PM
Defined

Better (Bet-er) -adjective: I don't own a set of Chris Kings and would like to convince myself that my current set of wheels are superior to yours.

In a sentence: Your wheels dominate mine, but mine are better.

;) :beer:

who can argue with this?? :beer:

bigflax925
03-31-2011, 03:15 PM
I was a little "disappointed" by how "quiet" my King hubs were.

I, too, had heard all that internet buzz about the loudness, angry bees, etc., so I was expecting the worst.

To my ears, they were no louder than my other hubs. Smooth? yes. Louder? No.

I ended up selling my IF with those wheels, but if I find another pair on the cheap, I'd love to have them again.

d_man16
03-31-2011, 03:55 PM
I own both mountain sets (King and 240's), The 240's with out at doubt are the ones I use to keep large carnivores at bay.

I heard a set of Hope Pro II's the kings are the diet coke of loud. :rolleyes:

Lorenz
03-31-2011, 04:19 PM
try this link for several freewheel recordings:

http://r2-bike.com/Videos

cheers, lorenz

wooly
04-01-2011, 01:02 PM
Congrats on receiving your wheels from Noonan. I got my edge/king r45's a couple of weeks ago and have about 200 miles on them. The r45's definitely buzz but to my ear, not too annoyingly. They are my first king road wheels and they are louder than my campy and tune wheelsets. But the Kings sure are nice.

Marcusaurelius
04-02-2011, 08:32 AM
I think some of it may be due to lubrication or lack thereof as someone indicated earlier. I recall I was able to make a set of campagnolo hubs signifcantly quieter with a bit of extra grease.

I had an older pair of dt hubs (before it was dt) and I found them the noise very annoying, quickly got rid of them and replaced them with shimano.

Benjamin
04-02-2011, 10:35 AM
I was a little "disappointed" by how "quiet" my King hubs were.

I, too, had heard all that internet buzz about the loudness, angry bees, etc., so I was expecting the worst.

To my ears, they were no louder than my other hubs. Smooth? yes. Louder? No.

I ended up selling my IF with those wheels, but if I find another pair on the cheap, I'd love to have them again.

So I just got my CK (CX model) hubs on the road last night. They're different sounding than any other hubs I own, but I agree with the above - they are not as loud as I expected, more quiet than my DT 240s wheels, less "click click click" ratchety-sounding, higher pitched, something akin to a pleasant whining sound (something like angry bees?).

Nice hubs!

SPOKE
04-02-2011, 12:13 PM
I've got a brand new pair of the pink hubs and the matching headset that may get used one day........maybe I'll build the girl friend a bike and use them