PDA

View Full Version : Do dangerous cyclists put us all at risk? Article

rugbysecondrow
03-31-2011, 10:23 AM
http://www.bikeradar.com/news/article/do-dangerous-cyclists-put-us-all-at-risk-29610

I liked this article, especially the following point: "Responsible cycling is a compound of overt predictability – I can't labour this word enough – for other road users, a very high level of observational skills and the capacity for good acceleration and deceleration."

bobswire
03-31-2011, 10:29 AM
I like this response from a Motorists view and pretty much how I think when driving an auto.

"So, do motorists really regard us as a menace, or at best an inconvenience? Davy Lewis, editor of Redline performance car magazine, disagrees. "Generally speaking, I don’t think dangerous cyclists put all bike riders at risk," he says. "As I driver, I’ve developed a sense for when a cyclist is about to do something daft, and I judge each rider accordingly.

"Some drivers may have had a bad experience and decided they’re not going to give way to any rider, but I think these idiots would be anti-bike anyway. Many of the car enthusiasts I know also ride, so there’s a lot of mutual respect. But like anything, there’s a small group that causes problems.

"For me the main culprits are d**kheads on cheap, supermarket mountain bikes who ride without lights, down one-way streets and generally don’t pay attention. They can usually be spotted coming from Wetherspoon on their way to Maccys via Cash Converters. No helmet; no road sense; no clue. Most genuine enthusiasts are spot-on as they’re ultra aware of cars and other hazards.

"Having said that, some older guys on road bikes seem to think they own the streets, riding two or three abreast. And as for people over 50 wearing Lycra... Ultra-bright LED headlights coming towards you can also be very distracting. I’m fully behind making cyclists as visible as possible, but there’s no need to look like you’re on your way to a rave. To sum up, I’d say that the more serious a cyclist looks, the more respect the driver is likely to pay them in return."

weiwentg
03-31-2011, 01:08 PM
Predictable is key imo.

Fixed
03-31-2011, 01:16 PM
for motorist drive within the limits of the law.how many here always drive that way within the speed limits ? do you think your special and can drive 5 -10-15 or more m.p.h. above the speed limits ? .. then we complain about cyclist not coming to a complete stop or stopping at a red light looking and seeing no cars and going ..
i am guilty on both counts sometimes .
as far as the poor on walmart bikes for transport ,some of the smoothest pedals i have seen turned are by a few old poor guys who have been riding cheap bikes for transport their whole life ..
cheers

Ahneida Ride
03-31-2011, 01:41 PM
Predictable is key imo.

Bingo ..... :beer:

Usually I can spot a mile back a "questionable" cyclist.
Just by the way they ride.

rice rocket
03-31-2011, 02:34 PM
Bingo ..... :beer:

Usually I can spot a mile back a "questionable" cyclist.
Just by the way they ride.

Yikes. I wonder what I look like from a mile away.