PDA

View Full Version : Clicking noise during pedaling

SteveV0983
03-31-2011, 07:03 AM
I thought I would share this in case anyone ever has this happen. I recently developed a clicking noise at approximately the 1 o'clock position on the pedal stroke. It was mostly on the right side, but also sometimes on the left and it was only while pedaling under load (into the wind, for example), but never if just spinning. It was still there while standing and still there if I rode no hands, so that ruled out seatpost and headset/stem and bars. I re-greased my BB, checked the wheel QRs in the drops, checked the chainring bolts, aligned my rear derailleur, replaced my chain and my pedals, and re-tensioned my spokes and all to no avail. Even double checked all my Speedplay cleat screws, which were perfect. Then it hit me that this started after I changed from a cheap $6.00 Specialized aluminum water bottle cage to a Bontrager Race Lite ($20.00 at my local Trek store). I checked the tightness of the cage and even tried to grab it while riding, but the click was still there. As a last resort, I took the Bontrager cage off and the noise went away. Unbelievable how much time and aggravation went into such a simple thing that I never would have thought of. Don't know if it was clicking because the frame was flexing it or if it the cage had a small crack, but I put my old aluminum one back on and all is quiet once again.
So if anyone has any phantom noises, don't rule out your bottle cage, especially if you have recently changed one.

firerescuefin
03-31-2011, 07:09 AM
I am chasing a phantom noise right now...thanks for the input.

thwart
03-31-2011, 07:15 AM
Thanks for sharing.

If there's anything more frustrating than chasing down a click on your favorite bike... one more possibility added to the list of things to check.

oldpotatoe
03-31-2011, 07:36 AM
I thought I would share this in case anyone ever has this happen. I recently developed a clicking noise at approximately the 1 o'clock position on the pedal stroke. It was mostly on the right side, but also sometimes on the left and it was only while pedaling under load (into the wind, for example), but never if just spinning. It was still there while standing and still there if I rode no hands, so that ruled out seatpost and headset/stem and bars. I re-greased my BB, checked the wheel QRs in the drops, checked the chainring bolts, aligned my rear derailleur, replaced my chain and my pedals, and re-tensioned my spokes and all to no avail. Even double checked all my Speedplay cleat screws, which were perfect. Then it hit me that this started after I changed from a cheap $6.00 Specialized aluminum water bottle cage to a Bontrager Race Lite ($20.00 at my local Trek store). I checked the tightness of the cage and even tried to grab it while riding, but the click was still there. As a last resort, I took the Bontrager cage off and the noise went away. Unbelievable how much time and aggravation went into such a simple thing that I never would have thought of. Don't know if it was clicking because the frame was flexing it or if it the cage had a small crack, but I put my old aluminum one back on and all is quiet once again.
So if anyone has any phantom noises, don't rule out your bottle cage, especially if you have recently changed one.

I had a noise a couple of years ago. I took the bike apart and put it back together, still on cold days, the noise was there, not on warmer days...it was the zipper pull on the jacket I wore on cold days...could be anything!!

biker72
03-31-2011, 07:40 AM
I had a slightly loose front wheel skewer that clicked only when I pedaled. Drove me nuts for weeks.

jvp
03-31-2011, 07:43 AM
I recently had a similar noise, it took me ~8 miles of listening, fidgeting, wondering, before I figured out it was my sunglasses hanging from my jersey collar.

Matt-H
03-31-2011, 07:43 AM
I had a noise a couple of years ago. I took the bike apart and put it back together, still on cold days, the noise was there, not on warmer days...it was the zipper pull on the jacket I wore on cold days...could be anything!!

I think that qualifies as a reason to own multiple bikes!

tv_vt
03-31-2011, 07:46 AM
For me, it usually ends up being the baseball cards rubbing against the back wheel spokes...

rice rocket
03-31-2011, 12:41 PM
My valve extensions click.

No point in me chasing noises anymore (until I get tubes/extensions that support removable cores I guess).

Dlevy05
03-31-2011, 01:41 PM
I don't know what clicks, but yesterday I definitely noticed something coming from the bb area...

old_fat_and_slow
03-31-2011, 01:57 PM
That's a new one. Never heard of the bottle cage causing a clicking noise while under power before.

rice rocket
03-31-2011, 02:33 PM
I don't know what clicks, but yesterday I definitely noticed something coming from the bb area...

It always sounds like it's coming from there, no matter where the click is.

firerescuefin
03-31-2011, 03:16 PM
It always sounds like it's coming from there, no matter where the click is.

How many times have you/I/anyone disassembled the bottom bracket, put a 55 gallon drum's worth of super grease of your choice on it, re-assembled it. Got on the bike praying that it was fixed....and about 10 seconds later proven to be the fool once again....did it again (for about the 10th time 3 days ago)

SteveV0983
03-31-2011, 03:40 PM
By the way, I was totally convinced it was the bottom bracket. Even felt sure I could feel it through my shoe. I have since Googled the clicking noise at the top of the pedal stroke and found others that had plastic or carbon cages making the exact same noise. I also found others who cleaned and greased their BB and the click went away. Unbelievably weird. The shame is that I liked the way the cage looked and held the bottle. I have since returned the Bontrager and ordered 2 Arundel Sport cages (the plastic, not the carbon) from Comp. Cyclist. Hopefully I won't have the problem again....

ATB24
04-01-2011, 04:16 PM
You should take a look at the pedals. I had some clicking noise that drove me nuts, greased the threads and the noise went away.

In another instance with another pair, i think the bearings were shot, replaced the pedals and noise went away,

victoryfactory
04-04-2011, 07:17 AM
Phantom noise threads, my favorite!
I was riding in a 20mph headwind yesterday when I started hearing in the front
of the bike a ZZZZZZZZZ sound like an insect buzzing.

Drove me nuts for 10 miles. Checked for leaves in the brakes, debris on the rim,
Had thoughts like "I wonder if this is what carbon bars sound like
right before they fail"..etc etc.

Turned out to be the size tag on my left glove sticking out and buzzing in the
wind!

Ha Ha HA HA That was some headwind. Gave up after 30 miles

VF

PanTerra
04-06-2011, 01:40 PM
You should take a look at the pedals. I had some clicking noise that drove me nuts, greased the threads and the noise went away.

In another instance with another pair, i think the bearings were shot, replaced the pedals and noise went away,

I just replaced a pedal that was clicking - Shimano SPD. That stopped it, but then my cleats had worn down as well.

sparkiegaz
04-06-2011, 05:29 PM
cant hear any clicking on my bike tends to be hurling through some single track to fast for me to notice ooh and i pod blasting in me ears,,,,,,,,, :) :) :)