PDA

View Full Version : Rehabbing my "New" Atlanta - PHOTOS ADDED!!

seatown7
03-31-2011, 04:20 AM
Greetings and mandatory "Newbie Alert!"

I bought my first Serotta yesterday...an Atlanta with steel fork and 7700 Dura Ace components. The thing is filthy. I think the previous owner kept it in a pond or maybe buried it in the yard.

The PO also tried a home paint job on the rear 1/2 of the bike...sort of a silver gray with the original dark blue. It isn't attractive. But man...the thing rides SO SWEET!

I bought this to RIDE lots and lots of miles on...it will NOT be a barn queen. So instead of a big $$ Joe Bell paint job, I'm contemplating having a local bike shop powder coat it a tasteful approximation of the stock dark blue, put some white down tube and seat tube Serotta graphics on it, highlight the "S" in the seat collar, fork, rear brake boss and then clear coat it. I think I would save some money and have a functional/fashionable bike when completed.

Any thought/warnings/advice/suggestions?

Thanks in advance,

Bill

AngryScientist
03-31-2011, 06:11 AM
welcome Bill. your plan sounds like a good one to me, there is certainly no need to a high dollar paint job on a bike that's meant to be ridden, all the paint is actually there for is to protect the frame from corrosion, once you put aesthetics aside.

powder coat will be the most durable, but some people have had very good results taking the frame to a local car body shop to be painted as well, so thats another option.

as i'm sure you may know, the quality of any good paint job lies largely in the prep work. if i were you i would totally strip the frame down to the frame and fork itself and take it from there. it will allow you to better assess the frame condition and the condition of each component, bearings, etc.

good luck, how about posting up some "before" pictures, it's always nice to see a neglected bike resurrected from the dead.

maximus
03-31-2011, 06:40 AM
Welcome and congrats on getting the Atlanta. I sorely miss the ride of mine, but it was a cm too large unfortunately.

I had mine powder coated as well. I purchased quality, low-profile "sticker" style decals directly from Serotta and applied them myself. The other option is to get decals from them and have your coater clear over top. Both are fine - just depends how much you want to spend/how much you care about having decals above the clear.

Powder is very durable stuff, but NOTHING compares to a quality paint job. I have also heard arguments that powder coat is more brittle, meaning its more likely to crack over time. I have a frame I have been considering refinishing, and I recently got very similar cost estimates from an esteemed (not Joe Bell) frame painter and from my powder coater. No brainer there...

Anyway, enjoy it. And don't put a carbon fork on it like I did ;) Check mine out in the gallery here. (http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?p=638441#post638441)

dekindy
03-31-2011, 07:13 AM
I would want the painter to be highly skilled at evaluating whether the bike has hidden corrosion damage unless your exaggerating the condition.

jr59
03-31-2011, 09:27 AM
Spectrum powder coat come to mind.

Put the decals under the clear!

eddief
03-31-2011, 09:45 AM
plain powder, put an "S" sticker on the headtube and avoid the clear. call it good. everyone who gives a crap, even you, will know that "S" means Serotta. you get to decide if you want it to cost $100 or $300.

msl819
03-31-2011, 10:36 AM
Welcome Bill,

Here is another link to another Atlanta. Actually it is the Atlanta Maximus used to own. It is not mine but was refinished and is the best looking bike i have seen in person. I agree though you need to have a knowledgeable bike guy make sure the frame is sound before the refinish and pedal the "lots of miles" you will pedal. Where are you located? I would think you have some good options fairly local. This one was done in Texas.

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=78534&highlight=white+serotta

buck-50
03-31-2011, 10:45 AM
Big thumbs up for spectrum if you want to go slightly fancier.

jh_on_the_cape
03-31-2011, 11:46 AM
You will be without a bike for weeks for the repaint. And you have to do the tear down and rebuild.

I was in a similar situation. I cleaned off the bike with simple green sprayed on a rag. just the frame, no place that is greased. i put some stickers on the worst parts.

Ride it.

Then over the winter send it in for a repaint if you are still in love with it. You can also replace parts as deemed necessary from the season of riding. Seattle should have some good shops to paint a frame. Ask around so you avoid shipping cost hassle and potential damage. you also need to have the frame prepped after painting (facing and chasing of threads).

edit: in the meantime: new bar tape!

i hem and haw about repaints. sometimes I think I could sell the frame and buy something nice with those funds and those that were for the repaint. same amount of hassle. on the other hand a repaint really makes you feel like you have a new bike. A buddy did it and replaced a few components. new color, new look, some upgrades. basically felt like a new bike, but without that fit adjustment period or anything... I have a Turner mtn bike and am considering a repaint.

rwsaunders
03-31-2011, 11:59 AM
You will be without a bike for weeks for the repaint. And you have to do the tear down and rebuild.

I was in a similar situation. I cleaned off the bike with simple green sprayed on a rag. just the frame, no place that is greased. i put some stickers on the worst parts.

Ride it.

Then over the winter send it in for a repaint if you are still in love with it. You can also replace parts as deemed necessary from the season of riding. Seattle should have some good shops to paint a frame. Ask around so you avoid shipping cost hassle and potential damage. you also need to have the frame prepped after painting (facing and chasing of threads).

Great suggestion form JH. You will then find out that either you love it....leading to a new paint job, or don't...leading to a sale. Pimp yourself out with some Serotta water bottles along the lines of Eddie F's suggestion in the meantime.

seatown7
03-31-2011, 12:23 PM
Welcome Bill,

Here is another link to another Atlanta. Actually it is the Atlanta Maximus used to own. It is not mine but was refinished and is the best looking bike i have seen in person. I agree though you need to have a knowledgeable bike guy make sure the frame is sound before the refinish and pedal the "lots of miles" you will pedal. Where are you located? I would think you have some good options fairly local. This one was done in Texas.

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=78534&highlight=white+serotta

That is the exact bike I was using as a guide for mine...the graphics are precisely the design I wanted. I do plan on riding the Atlanta this season, getting the parts sussed out, then doing the repaint over the winter.

Thank you all for the ideas. Photos of the trusty steed in it's "before" state will be posted soon.

texbike
03-31-2011, 01:43 PM
That is the exact bike I was using as a guide for mine...the graphics are precisely the design I wanted. I do plan on riding the Atlanta this season, getting the parts sussed out, then doing the repaint over the winter.

Thank you all for the ideas. Photos of the trusty steed in it's "before" state will be posted soon.

I saw this Atlanta in person a coupe of weekends back and it looks MUCH better in person. It's gorgeous!

Texbike

SEABREEZE
03-31-2011, 03:07 PM
Seat go to image gallery Serotta in this forum Right near the top you will see Maximus's Atlanta..

swg
03-31-2011, 11:16 PM

Bill,

You have received some great advice already and your first impressions of the ride on the Atlanta are right on with most current and former owners of that frame. If you really like the ride and fit of the Atlanta it might impact what you decide to do with the paint job, but once you stick your toe in the water then you will probably find yourself in the pool. Maximus had a nice powdercoat on the frame I picked up from him but the steel fork needed to be painted to match and I could not resist having it on the bike (Also had the carbon fork painted to match and that is tempting as well). My 02 is either go simple like one of the previous posts suggested or spend the money and have someone who can paint the graphics and don't use stickers or decals at all. I went with the latter and have not regretted it one minute. It also inspires me to ride more.

SWG

seatown7
04-01-2011, 01:17 AM
My 02 is either go simple like one of the previous posts suggested or spend the money and have someone who can paint the graphics and don't use stickers or decals at all.

SWG

I am seriously considering the painted graphics...already bitten by the bug several times and I know a quality job is what I think this bike deserves. I'm having an initial inspection done this weekend.

The first thing I need without a doubt is a new quill stem...probably 120.x 90*, and some silver drop bars in a 46. Any suggestions?

Louis
04-01-2011, 01:38 AM
The first thing I need without a doubt is a new quill stem...probably 120.x 90*, and some silver drop bars in a 46. Any suggestions?

Unless you really, really need the extra degrees to get the bars higher, I'd stick with a traditional 73* quill stem. Aesthetically I think they look much better than 90* stems, especially on that type of bike.

Nitto makes some very nice silver bars.

Good luck with the project.

pjm
04-01-2011, 08:29 AM
Greetings and mandatory "Newbie Alert!"

I bought my first Serotta yesterday...an early '90s Atlanta with steel fork and 7700 Dura Ace components. The thing is filthy. I think the previous owner kept it in a pond or maybe buried it in the yard.

The PO also tried a home paint job on the rear 1/2 of the bike...sort of a silver gray with the original dark blue. It isn't attractive. But man...the thing rides SO SWEET!

I bought this to RIDE lots and lots of miles on...it will NOT be a barn queen. So instead of a big $$ Joe Bell paint job, I'm contemplating having a local bike shop powder coat it a tasteful approximation of the stock dark blue, put some white down tube and seat tube Serotta graphics on it, highlight the "S" in the seat collar, fork, rear brake boss and then clear coat it. I think I would save some money and have a functional/fashionable bike when completed.

Any thought/warnings/advice/suggestions?

Thanks in advance,

Bill
The Atlanta was introduced in '96, the year of the Summer Olympics in Atlanta. Are you sure this is an Atlanta? You mentioned highlighting the embossed "S" on the fork. the Atlanta's fork did not have one.

harlond
04-01-2011, 12:23 PM
Worthless without pics.

Can't believe no one has said that yet.

seatown7
04-01-2011, 01:18 PM
Pics by this weekend...and there is no "S" on the steel fork...there was one on bike I was admiring while looking at paint schemes.

swg
04-01-2011, 05:13 PM
[The first thing I need without a doubt is a new quill stem...probably 120.x 90*, and some silver drop bars in a 46. Any suggestions?[/QUOTE]

Nitto stuff. I like the Nitto Noodle bars.

seatown7
04-02-2011, 04:59 AM
I had to go with a NOS Shimano 600 Ultegra stem...that design with the hidden bar clamp bolt is just too pretty. I'll probably go with some Nitto bars.

seatown7
04-04-2011, 12:01 AM
Here is a link to the photos of the Atlanta that I bought to "rehab."

https://picasaweb.google.com/102000724423492874342/SerottaAtlanta#

Comments, suggestions and complaints welcome.

fogrider
04-04-2011, 01:36 AM
it looks fine. its a bike thats been around, I would replace whatever parts to make it fit right, but I wouldn't worry about the battle scars. after a couple of years, it you really want to repaint, go for it.

jr59
04-04-2011, 06:14 AM
it looks fine. its a bike thats been around, I would replace whatever parts to make it fit right, but I wouldn't worry about the battle scars. after a couple of years, it you really want to repaint, go for it.

I would agree with this. Replace what needs to be replaced and ride it like you stole it.
Then at the end of this year, you will have a better idea if you want to restore it, sell it, or just repaint it.

To me, most of the marks on that frame just show that it has been ridden.

Germany_chris
04-04-2011, 06:44 AM
I have some nitto noodles if interested (48)

I had to go with a NOS Shimano 600 Ultegra stem...that design with the hidden bar clamp bolt is just too pretty. I'll probably go with some Nitto bars.

seatown7
04-04-2011, 01:45 PM
Germany Chris...PM me with details and price shipped to zip 98011.

vsefiream
04-05-2011, 10:30 AM
The Atlanta was introduced in '96, the year of the Summer Olympics in Atlanta. Are you sure this is an Atlanta? You mentioned highlighting the embossed "S" on the fork. the Atlanta's fork did not have one.

I was looking at the pics of my Atlanta and the fork does have an embossed S on it, does this mean somebody changed out the fork? I think it may be a custom frame, would a custom have this fork?
Here is the link to the thread with a pic:http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=87658&page=1&highlight=duross