PDA

View Full Version : 11spd Chain Tool

jeduardo
03-30-2011, 09:35 AM
Hello,
This will be my 1st season on Campy11, and I just finished assembling(paying for) all of the new drivetrain components & I'm ready for the install this evening. I had originally intended to use the Pedros 11spd tool(bad luck w/Park tools) but apparently it is sold out until late April/early May. I came across this 11spd "Ice" tool in distributer catalog, it arrived yesterday and after looking it over, I am a bit hesitant to use it on my Record chain. Before using this lower cost tool which may or may not damage my chain I wanted to ask around.
Has anone else had any experience with this tool & their Campy 11s chain?
I have included pics to ID the actual brand/model tool I acquired.
As always I truly appreciate your input/suggestions :beer:

NRRider
03-30-2011, 10:24 AM
I didn't know about that tool and I kept seeing the Pedros tool as sold out, which, since I never actually saw one available for delivery, to me seems like it was never distributed.

Anyway, I went ahead and ordered a card of 6 KMC Missing Links for $33 shipped. I've used their links on 10 speed chains for years with great results. They say these 11 speed ones can't be re-used, but we'll see (still waiting to buy a frame to use my 11-speed components). It seemed much simpler (and more cost efficient) than using a tool to press in the pin and then peen it.

So, I don't have an answer to your question (or the answer to your question is no). Just an alternative.

Edit: When you say cheaper you mean cheaper. Just looked it up and that tool's $20. If it works that's a great alternative to the Campy/Pedro's solution, which is much more expensive.

Joachim
03-30-2011, 10:28 AM
I just switched over to KMC 11 speed chains and can't be happier. Plus, the x11L (solid pin) chain is cheaper than Chorus, works just as well if not better. The tool is interesting though...

benb
03-30-2011, 10:38 AM
Interesting.. it looks a lot like a motorcycle design. It's probably safer then other bicycle chains.

Still.. that sucks the tool is so expensive. It's still simpler and easier then a motorcycle (where you have to press the entire side plate on, making sure it's dead parallel), and high quality motorcycle chain tools start around $100. Those tools usually handle pressing the plate on, keeping it parallel, making sure you can't press the plate too far, and then peening both pins evenly and correctly.

jeduardo
03-30-2011, 12:08 PM
NRRider
Low Cost=I paid like $24.00 shipped from our East Coast distributer but heck if it only works 1-5x I am happy (my bike is the g-pig)
DE bikes assured me that the Pedros tool is due in mid April but may go straight to back-order based on demand
Silly Park and their 2 tool nonsense for a job that 1 Campy tool wil do (and maybe this Ice thing)
I'm interested in your KMC link idea, I've also used their 10s links for cross, so please post if you find that the links work out well
I've been a Wippermann user since 10spd introduced, but their rep seemed to shy away from my 11spd chain inquires (too busy showing off his COLE wheels?)
NRRider-Thanks for your response

I didn't know about that tool and I kept seeing the Pedros tool as sold out, which, since I never actually saw one available for delivery, to me seems like it was never distributed.

Anyway, I went ahead and ordered a card of 6 KMC Missing Links for $33 shipped. I've used their links on 10 speed chains for years with great results. They say these 11 speed ones can't be re-used, but we'll see (still waiting to buy a frame to use my 11-speed components). It seemed much simpler (and more cost efficient) than using a tool to press in the pin and then peen it.

So, I don't have an answer to your question (or the answer to your question is no). Just an alternative.

Edit: When you say cheaper you mean cheaper. Just looked it up and that tool's $20. If it works that's a great alternative to the Campy/Pedro's solution, which is much more expensive.