PDA

View Full Version : IRD Mosaic 57 Fork Owners / Fender and Tire Choices

khjr
03-28-2011, 08:36 PM
Hi all - I'm making some final build decisions for my Soma Smoothie ES, which came with an IRD Mosaic 57 fork. As such I’d appreciate input from anyone who has owned this fork in the past.

:confused:

Right now I’m trying to decide on make of tires, fenders, and rims for my wheel build. I’ve read that the Mosaic 57 can barely accommodate narrow 28 mm tires (e.g. Continentals which tend to run 2 or more mm narrower) and SKS fenders.

If you have this fork can you advise as to how wide a tire you ran with it, and what was the limiting constraint (tire sides rubbing the fork blades, or tire top rubbing the crown or fender)? Also, any details as to your fender and rim choice for that tire would be appreciated.

Also, what make of fender do you think would allow the most clearance for the tire? I’ve read that the SKS Esge will, but would think that the aluminum fenders (Honjo, Berthoud, Herse, VO, …) would have more clearance because they don’t have the reinforcing rib going across plastic like the SKS…

Lastly, if tire height’s the limiting factor, do you think that I could get more height clearance by running a wider rim like the Velocity Synergy (23 mm wide) so that the tire spreads out more? Otherwise, I don’t think that it would be worth it to use such a wide and heavy rim if the widest tire I can fit is a narrow-ish 28 mm…

Thanks for your thoughts.

Marcusaurelius
03-28-2011, 10:10 PM
I tried one some ago with 25mm tires and standard bolt on road fenders and I had a lot of tire clearance. I don't think I ever tried it with 28mm tires though.

khjr
03-28-2011, 10:47 PM
I tried one some ago with 25mm tires and standard bolt on road fenders and I had a lot of tire clearance. I don't think I ever tried it with 28mm tires though.

Thanks - are you talking about metal fenders, and do you recall which brand/make?

etu
03-29-2011, 11:54 PM
i've had clement parigi-roubaix's on them with run wide but are listed at 28mm.
in fact, i've even put jack browns which are 33x700 but never ridden with them as they barely cleared. so it should easily fit any 700x28. not sure about type of fenders.