PDA

View Full Version : New to Campy...pricing help on a used Campy group/Opera Canova frame?

kramnnim
03-28-2011, 06:54 PM
I've been wanting to try out Campy to see if I like it, and a local guy has this for sale.

http://i.imgur.com/mpBTC.jpg

It's full Record Ti/Carbon, other than the Scirocco wheels. Comes with two cassettes, but neither gearing suits me...

Price is $1,300 for the whole bike, sans pedals/saddle/cages, or $700 for the group/wheels.

I don't know much about the frame, other than it's some sort of sister/daughter brand to Pinarello...I think it's slightly too big for me, thus my interest in the group alone.

Normally I used eBay's completed items search to determine something's value, but there aren't a lot of similar sold groups to compare it to...

Can I get y'all's thoughts on how good of a deal it is, if at all?

Also...what's up with the square taper crankset? I guess Campy didn't move to external bearings until more recently...?

Edit: Spelled Pinarello wrong, oops.

maximus
03-28-2011, 07:02 PM
I am not an expert by any stretch, but have done my share of Campy parts shopping lately. I would say 700 w/ the wheels and 2 cassettes is very fair. Not a steal - but a solid price for what looks like an excellent condition 10s Record group. Bummer that the FD looks clamp on..less flexible if you want to move things around.

If the mileage is suitable to you, I say go for it. You can try to cobble together a complete group of similar parts, but doubt it would be cheaper.

Joachim
03-28-2011, 07:05 PM
What size is the Opera frame? I always wanted one of their frames...

(I'm pretty sure that Pinarello has stopped their Opera division)

Pete Serotta
03-28-2011, 07:14 PM
300 for the campy and wheels tops 300 if they are something you want. I am assuming the campy is 10 speed. The crank and bb are last generation so Other parts are too

130R
03-28-2011, 07:14 PM
if you decide it's not for you, i'll take the group + wheels

lmk!

djg
03-28-2011, 07:17 PM
1300 seems a good price for the whole bike, if it's in good shape -- but if the bike doesn't fit, you shouldn't commit.

700 seems fair for the group -- not a bargain, but not bad if all the bits, including the cassettes, are in good shape (even if they don't offer the gearing you want, they might be sold or traded for something better).

There's nothing wrong with square taper -- they moved to the new bb system about five years ago, but I've still got the square taper spindles and cranks on a couple of bikes and there's not a darn thing wrong with them. Still, it dates the bits somewhat and may be a reasonable factor in pricing.

ultraman6970
03-28-2011, 07:36 PM
Thats around 2004 campangolo record 10 speed. If everything works I would say the price is ok for 700, a used pair of scirocco wheels are around 250 bucks, new over 300. So i would say the price for the group is ok for 700.

1300 for the whole bike is not bad either, OPERA is expensive, have no idea whats the street price of that frame but it must be around 500 to 700 bucks because doesnt look like a new model but it is apparently flawless as the group.

About the gearing that doesn't suit you, well that's so relative that is your choice, personally i never been picky between one cassette or another as long it has the gears u need all the time for a race. While racing u don't use more than 4 or 5 of them. If you are in the low end of the group probably you will need them all, some people change gears even to f@rt that is just ridiculous, it is a darn bike not a 20 speed 18 wheeler truck.

This is what I would do, if the bike fits you well and you have the money offer your friend 1200, if he says no... offer him the 700 or less for the group and wheels, the price is not off and looks like he take care of his stuff.

Yes campangolo moved out squared tapper about 3+ years ago (ultra torque), but that group in specific is around 2004 (i have one). I dont know why Serotta_Pete says that the cranks are the last generation, no they are not... 2004 just like the other stuff.

Be sure the shifters are working fine, specially the rear one, a shifter that old if was not rebuilt already it must be ready to go and asking for a rebuilt (u know because the shifting is not crisp and sometimes the shifting gets wrong). A rebuilt is cheap and easy to perform, after that, the brifter gets practically new. Maybe the guy rebuild them already? Ask him.

Good luck.

kramnnim
03-28-2011, 08:23 PM
Thanks for the input! Sadly, the FD clamp won't fit my 585, and the frame is indeed too big...seat tube is 60cm center to top, top tube is 56.5-57cm.

djg
03-29-2011, 07:27 AM
300 for the campy and wheels tops 300 if they are something you want. I am assuming the campy is 10 speed. The crank and bb are last generation so Other parts are too

Pete, really? Sure, it's 10 speed, and not the last year of 10 speed either. But supposing the wheels are good, they'd surely fetch at least a hundred bucks via flea-way or a local bb, even if they were from the inexpensive end of Campy's line. So that would leave 200 bucks for a full record group in good condition, with 2 cassettes? I think you'd have a very long line for the bits at that price.

endosch2
03-29-2011, 07:38 AM
It is the older crank set so I would go for $500 or so.

oldpotatoe
03-29-2011, 07:40 AM
I've been wanting to try out Campy to see if I like it, and a local guy has this for sale.

http://i.imgur.com/mpBTC.jpg

It's full Record Ti/Carbon, other than the Scirocco wheels. Comes with two cassettes, but neither gearing suits me...

Price is $1,300 for the whole bike, sans pedals/saddle/cages, or $700 for the group/wheels.

I don't know much about the frame, other than it's some sort of sister/daughter brand to Pinarello...I think it's slightly too big for me, thus my interest in the group alone.

Normally I used eBay's completed items search to determine something's value, but there aren't a lot of similar sold groups to compare it to...

Can I get y'all's thoughts on how good of a deal it is, if at all?

Also...what's up with the square taper crankset? I guess Campy didn't move to external bearings until more recently...?

Edit: Spelled Pinarello wrong, oops.

Last year of the far superior square taper crank was 2006.

And I have seen 2008 and older Record/Chorus ERGO shift levers go for $300 by themselves.

I think the group is indeed in the $500-$600 range. If the frame is too big, stay away.

Pete Serotta
03-29-2011, 08:43 AM
:bike: I tried selling a TI with campy and DT wheels for 1200 on the classified and was not able to _so I rode it in RTR last year and had the bike run over . It is fixed but with a Ultegra crank that i had :bike:

Pete

Pete, really? Sure, it's 10 speed, and not the last year of 10 speed either. But supposing the wheels are good, they'd surely fetch at least a hundred bucks via flea-way or a local bb, even if they were from the inexpensive end of Campy's line. So that would leave 200 bucks for a full record group in good condition, with 2 cassettes? I think you'd have a very long line for the bits at that price.

thwart
03-29-2011, 09:15 AM
Too much free time on my hands today... anyway...

I'd say that's a serious good deal. I've been banished from eBay by the family accountant, but the last time I looked:

Record ergos, 10 spd: $200
Record standard carbon crank w/Record square taper BB: $200
Record brakes: $100
Record carbon cage RD: $150
Record FD: $50
2 Record cassettes: ~ $150
Scirocco wheels: $200

Of course, that's assuming in nice shape w/o tons of miles.

Not to mention the cockpit, which looks to be good stuff...

I know nothing about the frameset, but a quick Google reveals that it's well thought of. Not my cup o' tea, but probably worth $750. Apparently Bonktown was blowing them out for $1175 in Sept '09.