PDA

View Full Version : Wheelset buying question...

SoCalSteve
03-28-2011, 01:39 PM
Hi all,

I'm kind of out of the loop of buying hand built wheels as I have been buying Reynolds carbon wheelsets now for the last couple years.

I am looking for a wheelset, 32 spoke, Open Pro's or DT Swiss with either DT hubs or Dura Ace hubs.

I also am NOT looking to spend a fortune on them. Its an "extra' set.

I used to buy from Mike Garcia, I heard he is out of business. He had great prices on his wheel sets.

Anyone else out there that has great prices?

As always, thank you in advance,

Steve

gasman
03-28-2011, 01:54 PM
Justin at Luxewheels has fair prices and does immaculate work.

fourflys
03-28-2011, 02:26 PM
Steve,
If I remember right, you are up in the north LA area, right? You have, in my opinion, one of the coolest shops around in Topanga Creek Bicycles... I know they aren't a "roadie" shop, but I bet they know a thing or two about 32 spoke wheels... it's definitely worth a visit just to check it out...

Topanga Creek (http://www.topangacreekbicycles.com/index.php)

gearguywb
03-28-2011, 03:19 PM
I have used Justin and Joe Young with great success.

vqdriver
03-28-2011, 03:20 PM
i haven't tried others so i can't compare pricing, but echelon_john built me up a set last year that i'm quite happy with.

bigman
03-28-2011, 03:21 PM
Ergott wheels

old_fat_and_slow
03-28-2011, 03:58 PM
Give our fellow forumites some business:

Eric at Ergott Wheels

Peter (oldpotatoe) at Vecchios
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Others:

Ron Ruff at white mountain wheels (he may post here, but not regularly)

Jude at Epic Wheel Works (she seems like a really cool chick)

false_Aest
03-28-2011, 04:20 PM
Steve,

Sound Cycles on Pico almost across the street from Bloom Cafe. Wes Oishi (used to coach at Encino Velodrome) builds a nice set of wheels.

He's been super helpful with stuff.
His shop is a mess.
You'll go in and see 5 or 6 sets of Campy Delta brakes, a few 3Rensho, Brian Baylis, and a massive record collection.

Eric Zimmerman uses him to build wheels for his bikes (he's the one that pointed me in the right direction).

Go see Wes.

Downsides: His hours are a little weird MWF 2-7pm-ish, sometimes it might take a little time for him to get something in stock.

Should be no problem to go in with the hubs you want built up and ask him to do the rest. You'll def save $$ that way.

rePhil
03-28-2011, 04:50 PM
Another vote for Peter (Old Potato) @ Vecchio's. He's been a regular poster here and is quick to share his knowledge.

AngryScientist
03-28-2011, 04:52 PM
Steve - lot of good options already posted here for great wheelbuilders. if you're looking to stay budget, i've had excellent results from bicyclewheelwarehouse. they can definitely build you what you want, and they'll be super competitive on pricing.

oldpotatoe
03-28-2011, 05:03 PM
Hi all,

I'm kind of out of the loop of buying hand built wheels as I have been buying Reynolds carbon wheelsets now for the last couple years.

I am looking for a wheelset, 32 spoke, Open Pro's or DT Swiss with either DT hubs or Dura Ace hubs.

I also am NOT looking to spend a fortune on them. Its an "extra' set.

I used to buy from Mike Garcia, I heard he is out of business. He had great prices on his wheel sets.

Anyone else out there that has great prices?

As always, thank you in advance,

Steve

Probably not the cheapest but after 7000 or so wheels, I think I know what I'm doing.

7900 hubset, DT 465, DT Comp spokes-$816.16
$871.16 for DT hubs

$539.16 for 6700 hubs, NICE hubs.

peter@vecchios.com

djg
03-28-2011, 07:29 PM
If there's nobody local you trust I'd go with one of the guys mentioned (repeatedly) on this board. With pre-fab factory wheels you might (or might not) save a bunch looking for a deal or close-out on last year's model. Having wheels built to order . . . you might save 50 or 100 bucks looking around for a bargain on a given set of parts, but it's just not worth it if you're not going to get the build quality you're after and a reliable builder to deal with. If you have to true the wheels repeatedly, or have them rebuilt, your savings are out the window and you have a headache to boot.

Or, you know, nab something used from the classifieds here.

Chief
03-28-2011, 07:45 PM
Highly recommend Joe Young. Build: Dt 240s hubs, DT RR 1.1 rims and DT Super Comp spokes. I have over 46k miles on them and they are running as true as the day I bought them home. $618 in 2004.

brians647
03-28-2011, 09:21 PM
Highly recommend Joe Young. Build: Dt 240s hubs, DT RR 1.1 rims and DT Super Comp spokes. I have over 46k miles on them and they are running as true as the day I bought them home. $618 in 2004.

Forty six thousssannd miles?
Dude, how do rims last that long? Isn't there dirt/rain/dust in the air of San Antonio?

AngryScientist
03-29-2011, 06:40 AM
good lord that is a lot of miles, close to 7k per year on the same set of wheels, very impressive.

endosch2
03-29-2011, 07:10 AM
SoCalSteve,
Thread drift:-)

I am curious about which model reynolds carbon wheels you are using and what has been your experience with them. I am thinking about a pair and I want to know what you have learned from them.

Thanks!

Pete Serotta
03-29-2011, 08:45 AM
I have used Justin and Joe Young with great success.

You can not go wrong with either. Pete

Pete Serotta
03-29-2011, 08:47 AM
:banana: Both very good also. :bike: :beer: Pete

Give our fellow forumites some business:

Eric at Ergott Wheels

Peter (oldpotatoe) at Vecchios
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Others:

Ron Ruff at white mountain wheels (he may post here, but not regularly)

Jude at Epic Wheel Works (she seems like a really cool chick)

Pete Serotta
03-29-2011, 08:52 AM
Steve for your purpose I would recommend the 6700 hubs. I have been using them. Yep I also have a DT. Pete

Probably not the cheapest but after 7000 or so wheels, I think I know what I'm doing.

7900 hubset, DT 465, DT Comp spokes-$816.16
$871.16 for DT hubs

$539.16 for 6700 hubs, NICE hubs.

peter@vecchios.com

Aaron O
03-29-2011, 08:53 AM
Bells Bicycles in Philadelphia...I had Record hubs laced to OPs with DB spokes for about $400-$450. They aren't the best out there, and you might have to have them trued afterwards, but they're cheap.

StanleySteamer
03-29-2011, 01:21 PM
Get them built with White Industries hubs.