PDA

View Full Version : Any experience with Velocity Race Hubs?

Pyramor
03-28-2011, 11:47 AM
A shout out to wheelbuilders. Going to build a 28/32 wheelset with Velocity A23 rims. Has anyone used the new Velocity Race Hubs. I like the look, although rather expensive at about $265 a set. Are they worth it? Any real benefit from the wide drive side flange? Negatives?

echelon_john
03-28-2011, 12:58 PM
I've built quite a few sets of A23s on these at this point. The Race hubs are good, but I've been steering folks toward the rear Race/front Road combo. The Road front has a wider flange spacing than the Race (slightly smaller flange diameter) and I like that width for stiffness in the front wheel when climbing/sprinting. The small difference in flange width does make the front wheel flex less laterally IMO.

The Race rear is nice and does build a nice strong wheel; the large flange helps increase the effective center-flange distance on the driveside (picture the spoke continuing in a straight line through the large flange to where it would sit on a "standard" 44mm flange and you'll see what I mean) and again, adds stiffness.

Plus they're quite light, the cartridge bearings are easy and cheap to replace if/when you need to, and they come with a decent skewer.

No negatives that I've found, and I've got about 15 guys riding these for Road and Cross. $265 seems a little steep though...you can probably do better.

Let me know if you need a set built!
JC

Pyramor
03-28-2011, 01:26 PM
Thanks JC, that is the kind of real world information I am looking for.

buldogge
03-28-2011, 01:58 PM
$180/pr. at bikemania FWIW: http://www.bikemania.biz/Velocity_Race_Hubset_p/velocity_race_hubset.htm

-Mark in St. louis

Pyramor
03-28-2011, 03:04 PM
Thanks, Mark.