PDA

View Full Version : Death on Tuesday night Lat. ride

zap
06-01-2005, 04:46 PM
Sad news from PPTC list server.

Greetings, cyclists friends,

I am very sad to be the first to post that a cyclist was killed tonight and was most likely one who had joined in our Laytonsville loops, perhaps for the first time. The crash occurred at the end of Hipsley Mill Rd. where it comes into Damascus-Sunshine Rd., just before Etcheson. As of right now, the cyclist who was killed has not been identified, unless the police learned his name in the last hour or so. He was not carrying i.d.

It appears that there were no witnesses from the ride to the crash. I had stopped to help another rider who lost his wallet and a small group of riders came around at the top of the last hill on Hipsley Mill. Then, a large group of riders followed a couple of minutes later. It appears that the cyclist killed was in the first group who passed our point and might have been rushing at the intersection to catch those in front of him. The intersection is one of several on the Loop where extra care is required. Most of the time, traffic is light, so one can get over confident about pulling out. There is also a fence partially obscuring the view of the traffic coming from the left.

Of course, everyone there at the time immediately went to the injured cyclist to offer aid and the rest of us directed traffic around the wreckage. He was lying beside the road and his bike was impaled on the front of the large pickup which hit him. Now, of course we have no idea, beyond what can be surmised, as to how all of this happened. It appeared that our brother rider had run out in front of the truck coming down Damacus Road. Two riders who were considerably in front of him heard a screech of brakes but did not see the accident or the result.

We had had a great turn out of 30 or more riders on a beautiful spring evening. The rider killed was not generally known to the regular group of Laytonsville loopers and, in part because of the weather, there were a number of new riders in the group.

The ride leader did a wonderful job of trying to coordinate with the police to identify the rider killed. The parking lot in Laytonsville was canvased for extra, unknown cars and police were dispatched to the owner's house of one car. The ride leader also went back to the scene in his car to work with the police futher. Montgomery County police were investigating both at the scene and at Mongomery General Hospital in Olney.

Again, I don't know if the cyclist killed has been identified at this time. He was riding an all composite LOOK bike and was described to the news media as being an hispanic male in his late 20s or 30s. If you have any information, please call Montgomery County Police.

Doug Terry
Olney, Md.

Smiley
06-01-2005, 04:50 PM
Sad , I am sorry for this tragic loss but we all must realize that we are NOT on closed courses .

Sandy
06-01-2005, 05:31 PM
A truly tragic piece of news. I have been doing rides from Laytonsville recently, including last weekend. I led a ride there on May 14 that included the intersection of Hipsley Mill and Damascus Road.

I have never gone on any of the Tuesday/Thursday Laytonsville rides as they are known to be quite fast, with riders of B, BB, A and even above. As I understand, riders are often dropped on the rides, and several groups of varying speeds evolve. Riders are trying to keep up and often chase other riders.

Unfortunately, there have been too many accidents on PPTC rides. On the Laytonsville ride that I attended last Sunday, a rider just in front of Rapid Tourist (I was behind her), took a turn, at the bottom of a hill, much too wide, rode into some gravel and his bike slid from under him. He had a shoulder injury, hip and rib discomfort, and was taken to the hospital by ambulance. Fortunately, Rapid Tourist had a cell phone to call 911. The cyclist, was wearing his helmet (almost universal on PPTC rides) which was cracked in several places.

The more I ride, the more I realize how very dangerous cycling is. That is one reason that I almost never follow too closely to the cyclist in front of me. If Rapid Tourist had been somewhat closer to the fallen rider, she might have fallen too. She had pedalled the entire way through the corner just before the accident, but handled her bike very well (much better than I can).

It is indeed sad and tragic news.

Sandy

dehoopta
06-01-2005, 05:50 PM
Folks, PLEASE be careful out there. What a horrible tragedy! Remember to carry ID or have a sign-in at the beginning of the ride. If you are new, or see someone new, get their name. Ask them if they have ridden this ride and alert them for hazards ahead.

It sounds like this group did the best job they could have and acted in a very responsible manner after the tragedy.

Eyes up and ahead

Sandy
06-01-2005, 05:57 PM
All PPTC club rides have cue sheets and sign up sheets. Your suggestion of carrying ID is excellent and potentially very helpful. I go nowhere without ID, on or off the bike.

Sandy

Rapid Tourist
06-01-2005, 06:35 PM
I have enjoyed the Laytonsville rides and am very sorry to hear about this. Lets all just be as careful as we possibly can and as helpful to other riders on group rides as we possibly can. Remember cell phones and ID and remember to be good to one another in a crisis.

Bruce K
06-01-2005, 07:17 PM
It is very sad.

It is even more sad that his family or significant other(s) may not know for a while what has happened.

Road ID (roadid.com?) makes several variety of easy to wear ID for cycling and running.

I do not leave home on the bike without mins and my son is not allowed to ride the roads without his, even if he is 17 and in his own mind indestructable.

BK

gasman
06-01-2005, 07:37 PM
Very sad news. Too bad he has not been identified.

I just ordered a dog tag from roadid.com last week for this very reason. I was tired of always trying to remember my driver's license. Now I can just stick the dog tag with my helmet so I always have it. ID is especially important if you are riding alone like I was this afternoon.

BumbleBeeDave
06-01-2005, 09:23 PM
. . . from www.poundmaster.com . . . reasonably priced, they have accessories, and quick delivery. I never, EVER ride without them.

BBDave

zap
06-02-2005, 08:37 AM
Update from AP via PPTC list server.

ROCKVILLE, Md. (AP) - Police have identified the
bicyclist who was hit by a truck and killed Tuesday
night near Damascus.
Police say 31-year-old Joey Ramos of Montgomery
Village was hit while traveling westbound on Hipsley
Mill Road shortly after 7 p.m.

The driver, 34-year-old Jose Contreras of Mount Airy,
wasn't injured and remained at the scene. Police say
the crash is being investigated to determine if any
charges are warranted.

(Copyright 2005 by The Associated Press. All Rights

zap
06-02-2005, 08:40 AM
Regarding ID's, two-three years ago, PPTC distributed ID stickers to all members (2,500+) to be placed inside helmets.

Don't forget to include blood type with your ID's.

Too Tall
06-02-2005, 10:30 AM
http://www.roadid.com/

William
06-02-2005, 11:26 AM
http://www.roadid.com/

Need convincing???

William
"On Saturday, September 13, 2003, I was out bicycling as usual. I had just received my Road ID, having ordered it online after receiving a flyer about Road ID at a bicycle event. This was the third time I wore it. I am very happy that I did.

I rode out to a distant suburb, riding for about 90 minutes. The ambulance report says as much as is known, which is "Male found unconscious on road near bicycle." Something apparently hit me from the right, fracturing my right arm and right leg into a few pieces. I only remember bicycling in a marked bicycle lane, then looking up at the ceiling of an ambulance, then being prepared for surgery in the trauma center.

Fortunately, I had placed my name; home phone number, physician's name and phone numbers on my Road ID, which I wore around my neck under my bicycling jersey. Because the ambulance personnel knew who to call, by the time the ambulance arrived at the trauma center my family was already there and the trauma center surgeon had already found and spoken with my doctor. All of which obviously helped. Now, following insertion of rods, a plate and 11 screws, a month in a wheelchair, and still using a cane, I can't say how grateful I am that I received the Road ID advertisement and acted on it. A lasting memory is of a ceremony in the hospital after the surgery. Two of the nurses came into my room and presented me with my Road ID, telling me I was smart to have had it. I'm going to keep that Road ID forever as a good luck charm. Good luck, because it helped get me the right help at the right time.

Ambulance personnel later told me that they are trained to look for ID's on unconscious patients, but too often do not find any ID at all. I am not an athlete, just a 54-year-old regular person. I never thought I would be found unconscious on a street, unable to identify myself. But life is full of unplanned events, and my unplanned event proved it makes good sense to wear a Road ID. I am very grateful that Road ID brochures were distributed this summer at one of our local bicycle events."

Steve R.
Portland, OR

Need more convincing?........

"It was an early Wednesday morning. I headed off to the local hill to meet a few teammates for some intense training. My husband kissed my forehead and told me to ride safe - just as he does every morning.

This morning, however, would not be so safe.

I chose to ride a few side streets to avoid the early morning traffic. I came to a four way stop sign with a car next to me. The driver and I went at the same time. At that moment, another driver blew through the intersection and sandwiched me between her bumper and another car's fender.

There I was - Out Cold. I woke up later, completely disoriented. I saw my bike crunched into the car, but I couldn’t remember much of what had happened. I was terribly panicked - afraid the lady who hit me was going to finish me off. When the fire department arrived, they asked me for identification, but I had none to give them. Then, they asked if they could call someone to help me. I was so dazed that I didn’t know who to call – or even a number. That really scared me. I couldn’t even remember my home phone number. I was hurt, scared and around a bunch of strangers. I really wish I had a form of ID that day. Now, I wear a Road ID and would never think about leaving without it. It gives me and my family peace of mind, and that’s PRICELESS! Thank you Road ID."

Jenn S.
Long Beach, CA

Kevan
06-02-2005, 11:43 AM
be careful with the information you're providing your tags and the vendor who will have access to that information. The days when you might include your social security number are now over.

I did give my insurance information, which in itself is risky.