PDA

View Full Version : Kelly Bedford Travel'n Sport Tourer Ride Report

rugbysecondrow
03-27-2011, 11:30 AM
I have delayed long enough, since I am home sick and unable to ride I might as well write about my last few rides. Without further adu, time for the ride report! Build and bike description here: http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=86754&page=2

This is my second Kelly Bedford Custom bike and I must say, it is different than my other Bedford, but a great different. Here is a link to my first club racer Bedford (http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=74498&highlight=bedford) I have two unique but purposeful Bedfords...life is good!

I have had this bike for about three weeks and even though I have been out of town for work quite a bit, I have been able to ride it quite a few times and the easiest thing to say is, I love it. I won't end there, I will try to elaborate.

My first ride was on a cold, rainy day and the bike was solid, although I didn't push the limits as it was not the sort of day for limit pushing on a new bike. Two days later, I took the bike out for about 2.5 hours, beautiful sunny day, mid 40's and pretty windy. This was the day to really put it through the paces.

My first impression, the bike disappears beneath you, seriously. I found my mind just went elsewhere, pondering such worldly problems like why I can't buy ranch dressing and mayonnaise in the grocery store that tastes as good as the restaurant offers...yep, my mind wandered a bit. The route I rode has some long and steep hills, some flattish areas with crappy roads and some some good rollers with good pavement. The bike tracked very well going down hill, I noticed this right away as the crosswinds were blowing very hard and the bike stayed on course with nearly no effort.

When I hit the rough parts of the road, I found myself steering around them and other obstructions, but eventually I let myself roll over them, no issues. The bike didn't bounce off course, it didn't jolt me or anything, I just rolled on. Sure, the tires helped (Rivendell Jack Browns) but the bike stayed on course. Kelly specifically built the frame with these tires in mind. I sent him the wheels and tires during the built so he could fit them accordingly.

When I hit the up hill parts, both the steep and the long ones, the bike felt like it could climb a wall. The gearing is such where I built it to function like that, but the frame allowed me to stay seated the whole time and just power through, the power transfer was great. During the ride, I actually forced myself to get out of the saddle some, a good problem to have IMO.

My final impression, I would describe this bike as a sporty Cadillac. It has good pick up, maintains speed really well and does not feel sluggish at all. That was my concern with this project and these tires. If it is possible to feel connected to the road and float at the same time, this bike does it. Although this bike is not built to be fast, I would say I could take it on club rides (as a B rider) without issue. It is a bike that you can cruise on or be quite spirited on, all the while with a great and comfortable ride.

Kelly really hit this bike out of the park, again. It is truly a Sport Tourer not just in name but in application. I have plans for some longer century rides as well as a credit card tour I am trying to rope some friends into. I really think Kelly "gets it" and knows how to make the bike work for the rider and the riders needs. If you have the benefit of working with Smiley, I would. He and Kelly work superbly together and the product is amazing. This is the second bike that has exceeded my expectations. I would not hesitate to go back again nor would I hesitate to recommend Kelly or Smiley to anybody, regardless of their bike needs. Two different types of bike bikes, both homeruns. Thanks guys!

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=86754&page=2

http://i413.photobucket.com/albums/pp217/phpeter/Bedford%20Sport%20Tourer/IMG_1832.jpg

firerescuefin
03-27-2011, 11:47 AM
Paul...lot's of buid up for this bike, and it seems to have exceeded your expectations. These type of bikes (sport tourers) never appealed to me before I started reading the boards here, now they have made it onto my list of must haves. A sport tourer, like a Bedford or Strong...with disc brakes,bigger tires, and fenders is certainly in my future.....said it before...love the color and the overall look. :beer:

SEABREEZE
03-27-2011, 11:50 AM
I like the concept, Sport Tourer, the best of both worlds..

Some Action Jackson when you want it, and the ride of a Cadillac...

Enjoy many, many miles

rugbysecondrow
03-27-2011, 11:59 AM
Paul...lot's of buid up for this bike, and it seems to have exceeded your expectations. These type of bikes (sport tourers) never appealed to me before I started reading the boards here, now they have made it onto my list of must haves. A sport tourer, like a Bedford or Strong...with disc brakes,bigger tires, and fenders is certainly in my future.....said it before...love the color and the overall look. :beer:

Thanks! I actually wanted disc brakes on this, but as a travel'n bike, I didn't want to mess with the rotors getting bent in the S and S case or while traveling. If not for it being a traveler, it would have disc. You should go for it Geoff, these are really great bikes and you can still be pretty spirited on it.

One thing I forgot to add is that that this bike inspires me to ride places I might not otherwise. I actually took to a dirt path on one of my rides, just because I could. :banana:

Ken Robb
03-27-2011, 12:06 PM
Hmmm, maybe I should get "just one more bike". What are the brakes?

rugbysecondrow
03-27-2011, 12:09 PM
I used these brakes from VO: http://store.velo-orange.com/index.php/components/brakes/calipers/grand-cru-long-reach-brakes.html

I really like them, easy to setup and they stop me, total weight with rider and bike of about 255#.

Smiley
03-27-2011, 12:25 PM
Sport Lite Tourer with fenders and rear rack mounts:

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=71057&highlight=smiley

Paul did an excellent job sorting out his parts for this project.

palincss
03-27-2011, 05:34 PM
It's obvious to me at a glance there's a lot to like about this bike and bikes like it. For me, the real question is, why have anything more like a race bike than this? For those who race, of course, there may be a reason, but few actually race; and even those who do don't race exclusively.

The advantages in terms of comfort, weather protection and load carrying when required are obvious; are there any real disadvantages? Is there any reason why this shouldn't be what we think of when we say "road bike"?

AngryScientist
03-27-2011, 05:53 PM
really nice, very gentlemanly rig you've got here, i bet you cant wait to do some lite touring with it. ride it in good health. :beer:

Dekonick
03-27-2011, 07:01 PM
She is a beauty. The pictures do not do justice. I also concur on the ride Kelly and Smiley have cobbled into a masterpiece... My Bedford Sport Tourer is similar in design, with the exception of Paul racer brakes and I did not go with S&S couplers. One detail to really look on Paul's bike is the stainless crown. A really nice stand out feature on his bike.

You will ride slower on a tourer... but you don't have to. You will want to just chill and enjoy the ride... but with a KB design, you can hammer if you feel the need.

A great combination for what many cyclists should probably have in their stable... A go to bike for sure.

Now... if I can just get my Hors back from Kelly's hands...

oldmill
03-27-2011, 07:57 PM
That thing just rocks. Really well done. And a great report, too. Thanks for sharing.

rounder
03-27-2011, 08:21 PM
Beautiful bike Paul. It looks really good with those fenders.

peanutgallery
03-27-2011, 08:44 PM
Awesome you got it. What about all the wackiness a ways back about actually acquiring a bike or getting a phone call after making a $ deposit? That seems to have been an issue and the romanticism of all this is a little lost on me. Question was never answered. Just sayin'

http://www.velocipedesalon.com/forum/f2/my-curt-goodrich-experience-19422.html

rugbysecondrow
03-27-2011, 09:01 PM
This project actually started one year ago with a deposit paid to another builder and a visit to Smiley. You can search my threads to find details on that as i discussed my issues at length, I don't want to dredge it all up again. The frame never delivered from the other guy so after a refunded deposit, i contracted with Kelly to build this bike. I got burned with the other guy, but that reinforced the quality guy Kelly is. I will say that this project lacked the romanticism of my first Bedford just because of all the BS and the money lost in parts etc. Once I saw a photo of the raw frame though and the polished fork, boy did I get excited. Then when I saw it painted and built up, I was super stoked. If I am being honest, I didnt like the day I installed the fenders as I cussed quite a bit, but when I first rode it...I really enjoyed it and it was worth it.

Good and legit question though. And just to be crystal clear, Kelly was the one who helped save this project.

AngryScientist
03-27-2011, 09:07 PM
how do you like those cages by the way, i'm considering them for my fixed gear, they look to be good and functional, any issues to speak of?

rugbysecondrow
03-27-2011, 09:11 PM
The iris king cages are great so far, I obviously can't speak to longevity. They hold really taught and look great. Funny story, I was in such a hurry to put them on that I did so upside down...Smiley helped me out there, although I would have figured it out eventually. ;)

SamIAm
03-27-2011, 09:33 PM
Gorgeous bike. I am reducing my considerable bike inventory down to 1 or 2 bikes over the next few months, but when I see a bike like that, I am sorely tempted.

The fender clearances look very tight. Are they or is it just the picture? I always get a little nervous when fenders are too close to the tire.

At any rate, awesome bike and build.

Smiley
03-28-2011, 05:48 AM
Gorgeous bike. I am reducing my considerable bike inventory down to 1 or 2 bikes over the next few months, but when I see a bike like that, I am sorely tempted.

The fender clearances look very tight. Are they or is it just the picture? I always get a little nervous when fenders are too close to the tire.

Say it ain't so please :) about the reduction in bikes.

The Riv tires measure 37 mm across and the fenders are 43 mm so yeah they are not to the rule of about 10 mm clearance but they do work.

SamIAm
03-28-2011, 06:07 AM
Say it ain't so please :) about the reduction in bikes.

Yes, the time has come. But I can assure you that one of the keepers is my Bedford, love that bike!

Fixed
03-28-2011, 06:15 AM
a sporty gentlemans travel bike
beautiful , enjoy
cheers

rugbysecondrow
03-28-2011, 06:56 AM

They are a little tight, but they work. I bought them for 10 bucks at the Velo orange garage sale this fall and figured they were worth a shot. It is about 1 CM in the middle and about .5 to .75 CM on the sides. Afer riding them for a few miles, I will adjust them a bit to makes sure they are adjusted properly. No rubs thus far though.

Thanks and good luck funding the right balance for your bike herd.

Paul

jlwdm
03-28-2011, 09:08 AM
how do you like those cages by the way, i'm considering them for my fixed gear, they look to be good and functional, any issues to speak of?

If you are looking for stainless to go with silver components Arundel is the way to go.

Jeff

CNY rider
03-28-2011, 09:14 AM

Wow.
If anyone here likes fine bikes (and we know you do) and you're Rob's size get ready for a serious opportunity.

rugbysecondrow
03-28-2011, 09:15 AM

If these are for your Paddy Wagon, then the mouth of the cage might work well for you. If i remember right you have tight tolerances on the ST for bottles.

Thanks,

Paul

sc53
03-28-2011, 09:44 AM
Paul--are both of your Bedfords TIG-welded steel? I know Kelly works in Ti too.

tuxbailey
03-28-2011, 10:00 AM
Nice bike :)

palincss
03-28-2011, 10:21 AM
The Riv tires measure 37 mm across and the fenders are 43 mm so yeah they are not to the rule of about 10 mm clearance but they do work.

37mm? According to Rivendell, the Jack Browns are 33.33mm wide. That's a lot of difference, more than could be accounted for by rim width variations.

rugbysecondrow
03-28-2011, 10:30 AM
Paul--are both of your Bedfords TIG-welded steel? I know Kelly works in Ti too.

Yes, they are both TIG steel. Ride them, use them as intended, then repaint them as needed. I like lugs, but there is something about a well made TIG bike.

Cheers

93legendti
03-28-2011, 10:42 AM
great looking bike...congrats

Smiley
03-28-2011, 02:30 PM
37mm? According to Rivendell, the Jack Browns are 33.33mm wide. That's a lot of difference, more than could be accounted for by rim width variations.

what ever he has on that bike I put calipers on them and measured them first hand, They are wide and I did not bother to measure the height.

Ahneida Ride
03-28-2011, 02:49 PM
Polished finished look!

Kelly's got on in the works for me .... Some day soon :banana: