PDA

View Full Version : Questions for Garmin owners

sailorboy
03-26-2011, 10:57 PM
So I'm looking to make the leap to GPS technology for my bike.

I'm interested in the following functions if they are available, and what unit you all think would be best.

1) Ability to load routes with waypoints before the ride.

2) Ability to get home after taking an unexpected route or ride with a group where we go somewhere I've not been and then get back and download that route to save as a future pre-planned route.

3) And which is the better option, purchasing the pre-loaded micro card or using the DVD format to load routes from my pc?

4) Apple or windows? I have macbook and older windows-based desktop. Which one should I use to link the garmin?

5) of course, live GPS function

What are your thoughts as to which unit? Thanks

130R
03-26-2011, 11:33 PM
i have a 705 and really like it. i feel as though the touch pad features on the 800 are kind of a gimmick. also if your riding in the winter with gloves, 800 is no fun to use.

i can use the 705 when i'm out hiking, or exploring a city, or when driving around.

i'm new to my area and travel as well, so i use the gps features quite often

the 705 has a fully fledged gps unit inside meaning you can look for gas stations or any places of interest.

i can use my macbook with a 705, so it should work with whatever garmin you choose

imo 500 or 705 is the best way to go

good luck!

sailorboy
03-27-2011, 05:10 AM
Yea, the 705 is probably at the top of the list right now. Was thinking about the 800 but reading a lot of reports of buggy software with it.

thanks for your input

rickbb
03-27-2011, 06:12 AM
+1 for the 605/705 (depending on features needed).
Mine has been reliable, accurate and easy to use.

gearguywb
03-27-2011, 06:25 AM
I have had good luck with the 705 as well. I don't use the gps in it a lot but on a few trips it has proven to be well worth the money.

endosch2
03-27-2011, 06:27 AM
I think you would need the 700 or 800 series for all the mapping stuff you need. You can do it with the more simple Garmins but as far as the getting home thing, it can get you in the right direction, but not necessarily the right street. Even simple garmins will let you back track on a route and show you the way.

Also if you are with a group and you have any garmin, you can overlay the route on a variety of maps once you get home and see where you went. Sporttracks software which I uses links to both Google Earth and USGS Topo maps. You dont need the 700 or 800 series to do maps like this - all I have is a Forerunner 305 for multisport / skiing. etc and Edge 500 for cycling only. I could just use the 305 exclusively if I had to.

As far as linking it to your computer Mac or PC is irrevelant because Garmin makes their own software as do many other companies.

I use software that is open source called Sporttracks. It can do anything you want, plus a whole lot more.

This forum will not give you the detail you want - go to this blog - this is the end all be all site for Garmins and sports electronics:

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2010/08/garmin-edge-800-in-depth-first-look.html

This link is to the review on the edge 800.

dekindy
03-27-2011, 08:05 AM
Garmin has a comparison feature on their website that is very detailed. Just check the box on the right.

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=160&fKeys=FILTER_SERIES_EDGE

jasond
03-27-2011, 08:51 AM
I have a 705 and love it. Although I really don't use it to its full abilities. I rarely uses the "live" GPS functions while cycling. I will more often pull out my iPhone to see where I am and where I need to be. It's just easier to use the iPhone, or any smart phone, to move around the map. The refresh rate on the Garmin is fairly slow so moving around a map takes a bit of time.

Although I've only done it once you can load routes with way points and it actually works quite well.

You can also load a workout file which you can build yourself or use one of Garmins pre configured files from the Garmin training center.

You can ride against a ghost partner, I've done this once and it was a stressful ride. It was sort of like riding with a group that you just could not catch.

I use a Macbook Pro and the Garmin interfaces just fine. I switched to a Mac last year so I no longer use Sporttracks to track my workouts since it does not work well with OSx right now. I started using Rubitrack, while not as nice as Sporttracks IMO, it does the job and has the Mac "look".

firerescuefin
03-27-2011, 10:09 AM
Recently purchased an 800 and have had 0 issues (I do have the newest software update, so can't speak to prior issues). The touch screen is not a "gimmick" for me as it makes "navigating" through the screens while riding easy. It works seamlessly with my Powermeter as well.

Pez's recent review of the 800

http://pezcyclingnews.com/?pg=fullstory&id=9165&status=True&catname=Tech News

DC Rainmaker gives the most comprehensive reviews out there. Here is his on the 800 and 705

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2010/08/garmin-edge-800-in-depth-first-look.html

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2008/12/garmin-edge-705-review.html

TMB
03-27-2011, 10:31 AM
The Garmin will work with either the PC or Mac. Garmin's own softwarebis lacking, which is why so many people use 3rd party.

I use a Mac and use a program called Ascent. Really good package.

You can download/upload routes with waypoints and etc, Garmin provide you a package that allows you to do this, very simple.

Also, you can do it with ridewithgps.com or mapmyride.com , work equally well.

If you have the maps ( I recommend the DVD, if anything goes wrong, you still have the DVD ), then the 705 will provide you turn by turn directions with street names. Before you leave a location, mark the spot with the GPS and give it a name ( like "hotel") then if you need directions to get back you just give the "return to hotel" command.

Gives you turn by turn directions back to the hotel.

And yes, they are live GPS. I use the 705 in my pocket if hiking as well as it gives an accurate track and profile of where you have been.

rugbysecondrow
03-27-2011, 10:43 AM
I have the Garmin edge 305 and an IPhone. I find that I use the Iphone GPS for the function you describe for the few times I need to use that application new city or a preloaded route). I find I ride many of the same routes, so I don't need to know directions too often. The Iphone is perfect for new cities, I am sure many other smartphones have the same functionality.

M opinion, if you are a data geek, then these Garmins are worthwhile. I have buddies who will download, track and analysis their rides. Me, I am just happy to get out for a ride. Once I get home, I am in full daddy mode again, not that I have the discipline for the data management anyway.

If you like the numbers and the data, then the Garmin might be good for you. If you are just going to use the Garmin as a bike computer for speed and mileage, then maybe go cheaper.

jasond
03-27-2011, 12:08 PM
I use a Mac and use a program called Ascent. Really good package.

I love how under Effort they have "Epic" as a choice. Fairly sure all my efforts would be "Epic"

I think I may try Ascent out as I'm not entirely sold on Rubitrack even though I spent the $40 for it.

TMB
03-27-2011, 12:13 PM
I love how under Effort they have "Epic" as a choice. Fairly sure all my efforts would be "Epic"

I think I may try Ascent out as I'm not entirely sold on Rubitrack even though I spent the $40 for it.

I had never noticed that. I just put all of mine under "weak kneed jellyfish", seems appropriate.

The program has got much better over time and really gives me any info I could want.

jasond
03-27-2011, 12:17 PM
I had never noticed that. I just put all of mine under "weak kneed jellyfish", seems appropriate.

The program has got much better over time and really gives me any info I could want.

Just DL'd the program and noticed you have to edit the list. Very nice nonetheless.

goonster
03-27-2011, 08:38 PM
Just bought an Edge 500, and have found that creating courses and downloading for purposes of navigation is cumbersome at best, and unreliable at worst. (Course files larger than a certain size, and with more than ~50 waypoints have been known to crash and freeze the unit, although this may have been addressed with recent firmware updates)

I really like it so far as a kind of ultimate bike computer:
- truly independent (no remote magnet pickup required)
- records ride data and locations
- Ant+ compatible
- No wheel calibration required
- Easily usable on any bike

But as a primary navigating device for long rides in unfamiliar territory, its utility is limited at best.

firerescuefin
03-27-2011, 08:41 PM
Just bought an Edge 500, and have found that creating courses and downloading for purposes of navigation is cumbersome at best, and unreliable at worst. (Course files larger than a certain size, and with more than ~50 waypoints have been known to crash and freeze the unit, although this may have been addressed with recent firmware updates)

I really like it so far as a kind of ultimate bike computer:
- truly independent (no remote magnet pickup required)
- records ride data and locations
- Ant+ compatible
- No wheel calibration required
- Easily usable on any bike

But as a primary navigating device for long rides in unfamiliar territory, its utility is limited at best.

Edge 500 is fairly limited compared to the 705 and 800, but is the lightest and has the smallest form factor. It seems to be preferred amongst the racers as a "need to know" unit...and its at a great price point compared to the 705/800. You can get one new on ebay for 180.

veloduffer
03-28-2011, 08:22 AM
I had the 605, and currently own the 800 and 500. I like the 800 - faster, better screen, touchscreen -- than the 605. Nevertheless, the 605 did work flawlessly, as does my 800 but others report bugginess (I didn't upgrade the firmware - if ain't broke...)

I got the 500 as a backup and when I ride my regular routes and don't need navigation.

As far as navigation (to the OP), the 605, 705 and 800 do all the things you asked. Most of us use 3rd party software to map and load into the GPS. I use Bike Route Toaster.

I would recommend the SD card, then you can use it with any Garmin unit. If you get the CD, it is only usable for that particular unit (software is encrypted).

dbh
03-28-2011, 10:10 AM
I hemmed and hawed between the Garmin 500 and the 705 (this was before the 800 was introduced). I went with the 500 and am quite happy I did. Asides from price, it's far more compact. I just don't find myself needing the wayfinding features of the 705. I loaded up a breadcrumb trail map in the 500 and found it was easy enough to navigate from. I have no doubt that the 705 would be better, but since it's not a feature I use often, it's no biggie for me. If I had a smartphone, the choice would be a no-brainer -- go with the 500, as you can use the wayfinding and mapping features on your phone. As for the software issues for the 800, I wouldn't worry too much. Garmin will release a firmware update, as they did for the 500 when it was originally introduced.

echelon_john
03-28-2011, 10:21 AM
that's exactly what i'm doing--500 for riding/capturing data, switching between bikes instantly, uploading for chuckles, and my iPhone for if I need to look at a map.

i like the simplicity and small size of the 500--plenty good for my purposes.

I hemmed and hawed between the Garmin 500 and the 705 (this was before the 800 was introduced). I went with the 500 and am quite happy I did. Asides from price, it's far more compact. I just don't find myself needing the wayfinding features of the 705. I loaded up a breadcrumb trail map in the 500 and found it was easy enough to navigate from. I have no doubt that the 705 would be better, but since it's not a feature I use often, it's no biggie for me. If I had a smartphone, the choice would be a no-brainer -- go with the 500, as you can use the wayfinding and mapping features on your phone. As for the software issues for the 800, I wouldn't worry too much. Garmin will release a firmware update, as they did for the 500 when it was originally introduced.

sailorboy
03-28-2011, 11:12 AM
Wow, thanks for all the feedback. And judging from the number of people with these things it looks like I'm already behind the times!

Was considering upgrading to iphone when I get back to the states so sounds like that combined with a less complicated model like the 500 is what a lot of folks are doing. I had no idea the iphone was faster/better at real-time GPS than the garmin units.

Is GPS a function that costs more with the iphone or is it always on?

norcalbiker
03-28-2011, 11:19 AM
whatever garmin you ended up buying, make sure to be on top of your warranty. My warranty expired and missed it by 6 days. Seriously! 6 days and they would not take care of it.

I am not complaining, I'm just passing my experience. (Well, maybe a little :rolleyes: )

fkelly
03-28-2011, 03:22 PM
I got a Garmin 800 this winter as a gift. It works fine. Their documentation stinks but if you use the dcrainmaker site that's mentioned in several earlier posts in this thread plus the Garmin Forums you'll be okay. I use it just as a heart rate monitor in the gym, it is not quite outdoors riding season in the Northeast.

I followed a link to the sportracks site and downloaded it. Where a previous post mentioned that it's Open Source (and that's true), it will cost you $35 to get a useful version. I paid and loaded it and after puzzling a bit figured out how to import my *.fit files and *.hrm files from my Garmin unit and from my old Polar directories. I had 6 years worth of POLAR heart rate files that I wanted to integrate into Sporttracks and that seems to have worked flawlessly.

Also re. some previous remarks in the thread, I've had no problems with the touch screen while wearing winter cycling gloves. It seems responsive even with them on. The heart rate strap can be a bit finicky but I've found that if you really soak it good before putting it on it works reliably.

veloduffer
03-28-2011, 04:00 PM
The heart rate strap can be a bit finicky but I've found that if you really soak it good before putting it on it works reliably.

Hmmm, I haven't had a problem with mine. I don't "lube" at all.