PDA

View Full Version : Look KG461 questions

ultraman6970
03-26-2011, 04:12 PM
Ok guys, just ran into one of this frames, still need to go and look at it to see condition. From what I understood the guy doesnt have the original fork because the guy form where he got the frame from did not have it also. So it could be because of an accident or any other secondary unknonwn reasons like for example the original fork cracked.

Looks like is a frame 2003 black... the seatpost bolt is in the interior of the frame just like the old legnanos, hope u guys get what im saying.

Now my questions:

- How much can be one of this ones used in the market? I spotted 2 brand new at ebay like for 750 bucks plus shipping.

- Look frames a prone to cracks or problems?

- How is the ride?

Thanks.

TAW
03-26-2011, 04:38 PM
The ride of these is excellent, I don't think you'd be disappointed. The seat post binding system is not great, but it does work. If you are using a carbon seatpost, you have to be especially careful not to overtighten, as you can crush the carbon with the mechanism that holds the seatpost in place.

Good luck.

Nil Else
03-26-2011, 05:38 PM
Fork might be missing since Look HSC fork, at least back then, were highly desirable after market option fork that someone might've sold/used for another project. I had choice of HSC3 or HSC4 when I bought mine and opted for HSC4.

I bought 2003 model in 2004 for a very good price. When I got around to build the bike in 2005 I discovered a "mistake" made in assembling the frame at the factory. Veltec replaced the frame with 2005's nearly 2 years after I bought it. Lesson learned: if you are putting a frame away for later make sure to check everything is where they are supposed to be etc. I don't exactly know what changes were made, if any, from 2003 to 2005s.

I love the ride and though it doesn't feel as stout as C50 these are sound carbon frames. I've crashed a number of times, though not seriously and despite some marks, the frame is holding up perfectly fine. I recommend KG461. It is my go-to everyday carbon bike that I don't baby as much as my other carbons and still looks fantastic. It keeps on giving. I could easily have this one as my only bike. Mine is red & black Jalabert color and I still get the looks and comments. I really like this bike and how little it costed me is a plus.

Caveat: I stripped the seatpost clamp bolt's allen head (my fault) when I was swapping seatposts/saddles around repeatedly. I have not done anything or looked carefully to fix it so far because post/saddle are okay where that are. I will have to figure out how/what to replace at some point soon.

tv_vt
03-26-2011, 08:37 PM
Not sure if they still have them, but Excel Sports used to have the seatpost binder bolts in stock. Good to have a few around. Grease them well. I have a 481 - same seatpost setup. I really recommend NOT using a carbon seatpost with this frame. Get a DuraAce 25.0mm post, or a Campy. The binder bolt works great with an alloy post. Not very good with carbon - I overtightened the bolt and wrecked a Look Ergopost. Get an alloy post and forget about it.

Everyone seems to like Look frames. I rarely see a negative review.

Nil Else
03-26-2011, 08:54 PM
Wow, you cracked Look Ergo post? They are very stout posts.

Right now I have ITM Millennium carbon post stuck in there (well, since I can't loosen the bolt) and this post's wall is not as thick as Look Ergos.

ultraman6970
03-26-2011, 09:03 PM
Wow... good... thanks. Anybody can guess how much are those used?

Forgot to ask this... The frames fit kind'a big? Im around 55 to 56 top tube frames and this one is a 54, but in the pictures looks like bigger. Impressions in the fit?

Thanks.

bmeryman
03-26-2011, 09:31 PM
I suggest having a few of the seatpost clamps lying around as well. A friend of mine tried to adjust his saddle height while on his ride and ruined the clamp. There was a bit of downtime for him while he figured out where to buy one.

ultraman6970
03-26-2011, 10:40 PM
Thanks but what about pricing of a frame?

rickbb
03-27-2011, 06:20 AM
Well, we know the upper end of pricing. The two new KG 461's on eBay have languished since January 12 so they have a market value of something less.
Without fork, used, it can't be worth more than $500 and probably well less.

ultraman6970
03-27-2011, 09:02 AM
Thanks.

Nil Else
03-27-2011, 12:04 PM
I just ordered a couple of Look seat post clamp binder bolts from Petra (http://www.petracycles.co.uk/product_info.php?language=en&currency=USD&products_id=64512&source=googleus) (UK) along with some 9s Wipperman links. I don't think I ever ordered from them before and their shipping is rather high but they are the only one who has em. The product description doesn't quite say 461 but lists 481 etc so I think it's the right one. We will see.

Nil Else
03-27-2011, 12:17 PM
The frames fit kind'a big? Im around 55 to 56 top tube frames and this one is a 54, but in the pictures looks like bigger. Impressions in the fit?

My Look frames look bigger than my other bikes of same size look. I think that's due to the later Look frames generally having sloping TTs of varying degree thus the look of longer/taller HT that gives them the bigger frame look they get. Bigger taller HT always makes frames look bigger than they actually are however Look frames fit smaller than how they look at least for me but then, hey, look, I have longish torso.

thwart
03-27-2011, 12:57 PM
I just ordered a couple of Look seat post clamp binder bolts from Petra (http://www.petracycles.co.uk/product_info.php?language=en&currency=USD&products_id=64512&source=googleus) (UK) along with some 9s Wipperman links. I don't think I ever ordered from them before and their shipping is rather high but they are the only one who has em. The product description doesn't quite say 461 but lists 481 etc so I think it's the right one. We will see.I have a KG361 and a KG481 SL and they both use that 'interesting' expanding bolt. You'll be OK.

I would say the Looks (non-sloping) fit as sized, I usually ride a 56 and they're both working out well. The 481 SL is a 56, the 361 too, IIRC.

Great bikes.

Nil Else
03-27-2011, 07:33 PM
I have a KG361 and a KG481 SL and they both use that 'interesting' expanding bolt. You'll be OK.

Great. Thanks Tom.

bobswire
03-27-2011, 07:45 PM
I sold this one last year for $450 local CL I tried to sell it here originally but got no takers.
http://i55.tinypic.com/2dvn7eb.jpg

ultraman6970
03-27-2011, 08:05 PM
Well I just declined the transaction because the frame was going to be too small for me (short), so probably next time hehehe :D