PDA

View Full Version : Semi-aero-looking rim with slightly wider profile?

RPS
03-25-2011, 11:58 AM
Comparing different clincher rims it seems that in the +/- 25-mm deep (tear-drop like) sections a common width is around 19 mm. I’m curious if there are good choices in slightly wider cross sections.

Thus far I’ve found these I’d consider but all fall in the less-than 20 mm width:

Velocity Fusion
19wX25d – 475g

Kinlin XR-240
19wX24d – 455g

Kinlin XR-270
19wX27d – 445g

I’d like to stay in the same weight and durability range as Open Pros but with a more teardrop shape – strictly for appearance and not Cd. FWIW, I’m not referencing weight here for the sake of lightness.

I am, however, curious why the Kinlin 240 is listed as slightly heavier than the 270. Normally deeper rims are heavier but this is opposite (unless a mistake on my part). I don’t care about the 10-gram weight difference itself, but more about why it weighs more (which may be for a good reason).

Thanks in advance for any recommendatons.

echelon_john
03-25-2011, 12:41 PM
HED C2
Velocity A23

both will be more aero with a 23-25 tire than the 27mm deep kinlins. plus the a23 is cheap-ish and pretty light at 426g. and bomber strong.

RPS
03-25-2011, 02:22 PM
Thanks John. I was hoping for something a little more teardrop (for lack of a better word) in shape and less truncated than the A23; and it seems the HED C2 might be pretty close -- found it listed at 23 wide by 24 deep and weighing 475 grams.

I’m basically looking for a rim somewhat between the Fusion and Chuckker in size but with similar shape, and although I haven’t seen a cross section of the C2 it seems similar in shape. A down side is it appears much more expensive than Velocity but that’s OK if quality demands it.

miguel
03-25-2011, 02:33 PM
chukkers weight is too much

get dyads

i have hed c2s right now they awesome

miguel
03-25-2011, 02:34 PM
also, is this for aesthetic reasons?

Look585
03-25-2011, 02:59 PM
The HED Belgiums are very nice rims. I have built 4 sets recently for teammates and friends. They are flat, round, and very well finished.

The profile is akin to the CXP33, a rounded V shape, but obviously deeper and wider. They are not angular like the Kinlins or the Velocitys.

Whether they are worth the 2x price over the Velocity A23s, I cannot say, but they build into great wheels.

Joachim
03-25-2011, 03:11 PM
Are the C2 rims stiffer than rims of similar height due to the width?

dave thompson
03-25-2011, 03:43 PM
You might look at the C-4 brand V-22 rims: http://www.c-4bicyclecomponents.com/site/V-22-RIM.html?st=menuJump I had a set of wheels built by them using these rims along with their own manufacture hubs. I'm impressed. See pic here: http://forums.thepaceline.net/showpost.php?p=908436&postcount=26 What can I say, I like white! The rims come in black too.

RPS
03-25-2011, 04:08 PM
chukkers weight is too much

get dyads

i have hed c2s right now they awesome
I have the equivalent of Chukkers (previously MTB Deep V in 26-inch) on a tandem and like the look. But you are right that they’d be overkill for a single and especially at my weight.

I’ve excluded the Dyads for the same reason as the A23s – the truncated triangular shape. And yes, it’s mostly about aesthetics. Also a little to see if it affects ride, but not due to aerodynamics.

By the way, are your C2s custom built using C2 rims or were they complete wheels from HED?

RPS
03-25-2011, 04:09 PM
You might look at the C-4 brand V-22 rims: http://www.c-4bicyclecomponents.com/site/V-22-RIM.html?st=menuJump I had a set of wheels built by them using these rims along with their own manufacture hubs. I'm impressed. See pic here: http://forums.thepaceline.net/showpost.php?p=908436&postcount=26 What can I say, I like white! The rims come in black too.
Thanks Dave, that’s another nice one to look into. For what it’s worth, I can barely keep black clean, so white is out of the question. ;)

miguel
03-25-2011, 04:28 PM
By the way, are your C2s custom built using C2 rims or were they complete wheels from HED?

32h f/r C2 rims
WI front
CK rear
DT Comps
brass nips

not sure the weight, i commute on them.

jrennie
03-28-2011, 06:32 PM
the C-4 wheels are fantastic. I've tried a set of the 1280g 2.2sl versions are was amazed how well they rode under a full sprint at 165lbs.

RPS
03-29-2011, 10:24 AM
Who makes the C-4 V-22 rims? Their page says “rims are sourced, either using an existing design, or custom designed by us and manufactured by one of three specialty rim manufacturers we contract with.” I’d be nice if someone like Velocity with lots of experience made the rims.

Apparently the V-22 is their “first in house designed rim” and also new, so does this suggest they have limited experience designing rims? There are also few details on the rims themselves. Anyone have information beyond their web site? I can’t seem to find much.

dave thompson
03-29-2011, 11:26 AM
Who makes the C-4 V-22 rims? Their page says “rims are sourced, either using an existing design, or custom designed by us and manufactured by one of three specialty rim manufacturers we contract with.” I’d be nice if someone like Velocity with lots of experience made the rims.

Apparently the V-22 is their “first in house designed rim” and also new, so does this suggest they have limited experience designing rims? There are also few details on the rims themselves. Anyone have information beyond their web site? I can’t seem to find much.
I can't speak to the "technicals" of the C-4 rims. I examined mine when I received the wheelset, they looked neat, clean and well made. I've got about 70 miles on them (lousy weather prevents more) and they seem to do what the HED wheels do but at a lower price point.

C-4 is no stranger to wheels, they manufacture their own hubs. Either e-mail or call Mark at C-4, I've found him to be very responsive and he likes to talk wheels.

echelon_john
03-29-2011, 12:08 PM
C2s and A23s are both great rims. A23=100% of the performance of the C2, 95% of the finish quality, at 50% of the price. And they're about 40g lighter per rim.