PDA

View Full Version : New member intro, sad recolections, and questions, kinda long but please read

vsefiream
03-24-2011, 08:57 AM
Hello everyone, I joined this board as I am looking into purchasing a "vintage" Serotta and get beck into cycling. Let me give you a little background on myself.
Back in 1990 at the age of 16 I started to get pretty serious into road bike riding, I owned a new Trek 2300 with Ultegra, I rode that bike pretty hard for a while and started to have frame issues, a warranty frame came in 1992 and At that point I had been working for a local bike shop here in Rochester, NY where I met Dale Duross. He and Robert Stowe had been friends and both welders/brazers at Serotta under Ben's watchful eye. This started my Serotta education. I worked with Dale for a little while when he mentioned that he was going to sell one of his personal frames. The frame dimensions were a good fit for me. The story on this frame is that Dale started it while at Serotta. He left for unkown reasons and Started Phase III cycles here in NY with Rob Stowe where they built Stowe bikes. Dale finished the frame here in Rochester, painted it, and put Stowe decals on it. For some reasons he had left Stowe and Phase III. When I saw the frame it had a blue/black fade paint job like a Serott, Stowe decals, and obvious Serotta lugs.
I bought the frame for less than $200, took it to paintworks and had them paint it in the NHX colors black to fuscia fade. For the life of me I cannot remember why I chose those colors?? Anyhow I built it up with Dura Ace STI and Mavic open 4 CD wheels, TTT forma SL bars and stem, american classic seatpost, Selle Italia Flight ti saddle and look carbo pro pedals, all the best in the day. Shortly after building the bike I acquired a USCF Cat 5 novice road race license, raced for a year and developed knee issues. The bike sat for a while, I rode my mtb bike for a bit but work and life in general took over. Fast forward to ~2001/2 I decided to sell this bike even though my wife thought I shouldn't have. I sold it on Ebay for around $700, somebody got a deal for sure.
Now that I have changed careers and the itch to ride is comming back, I found and bought a '91 vintage Raleigh 531 Competition with full Ultegra. It's a real nice bike but it's no Serotta. But like the Trek, I'm afraid the bonded tubes might fail, there is a history of it from what I hear. So my search started for another Serotta, hopefully one I can afford and get back into riding. My search prompted me to try and get back in touch with Dale Duross. Here's where my search took a solemn turn, I came across Dale's obituary yesterday.... He had passed some time last year at the young age of 50. Please keep Dale in your thoughts and prayers if you could.
Now I regret selling his old frame more than ever and would love to get it back. So... if anybody comes across a 59cm, black/fuscia NHX frame with an odd serial number (Dales Birthdate) please, please, please contact me.
SO my search has continued and here's my question. I have found a nice '96? Serotta Atlanta with Ultegra/105 STI group, very low miles and the owner is asking $500. Problem is packaging and shipping will probably total $150 for a grand total of $650 investment. Is this bike still worth that much? I personally think it is but I don't know if that's my Serotta passion,a want or if it's legit. Please help, thoughts and comments are appreciated

John

fiamme red
03-24-2011, 09:01 AM
I have found a nice '96? Serotta Atlanta with Ultegra/105 STI group, very low miles and the owner is asking $500. Problem is packaging and shipping will probably total $150 for a grand total of $650 investment. Is this bike still worth that much?Yes, $500 is a bargain for a STI-equipped Atlanta, and although $150 for shipping is on the high side, it's definitely worth it.

jr59
03-24-2011, 09:08 AM
Seems to me that 650 is a small price to pay for something you will truly enjoy!

I hope you somehow find your old frame.

FlashUNC
03-24-2011, 09:26 AM
Its stories like this that reinforce why I don't like parting with my old road frames. What I could get for it in cash doesn't come close to the sentimental value. Better to just strip it down and store it in the garage until I get a hankering to rebuild it, or maybe find it the right home one of these days...

swg
03-24-2011, 09:28 AM
Yes, $500 is a bargain for a STI-equipped Atlanta, and although $150 for shipping is on the high side, it's definitely worth it.

Amen

majorpat
03-24-2011, 10:05 AM
Yep, buy it!

vsefiream
03-24-2011, 10:07 AM
I know, hind sight is cruel. I should never have sold it. I'll get some pics posted here of what she looked like by the weekend
Anyhow, from what I have found, the local bike shop charges $40 to package and shipping is betwen $65 for truck freight or $107 via UPS. It's traveling across the country.

Here is a pic of the bike I am looking at:
http://i491.photobucket.com/albums/rr273/vsefiream/Bikes/Serotta.jpg

Here are pics of the Raleigh I'm selling off:
http://i491.photobucket.com/albums/rr273/vsefiream/Bikes/Raleigh.jpg
http://i491.photobucket.com/albums/rr273/vsefiream/Bikes/Raleigh2.jpg

John

William
03-24-2011, 10:10 AM
Its stories like this that reinforce why I don't like parting with my old road frames. What I could get for it in cash doesn't come close to the sentimental value. Better to just strip it down and store it in the garage until I get a hankering to rebuild it, or maybe find it the right home one of these days...

True, sometimes I miss my first Serotta race bike. I did a lot of collegiate racing on her and I do wish I had it back occasionally. Of the two I had at that time, Kelly built one, and Dave Kirk built the other. But, I know a fellow forum member who has it and did a stunning job of resurrecting her...

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=51553&highlight=William

Welcome to the forum! :cool:

William

weisan
03-24-2011, 10:12 AM
John-pal, it's great to see you get back to riding again.

I used to own a beautiful white Atlanta.
http://www.alicehui.com/serotta/atlanta/1.jpg

The price is good however more important than the price, is the fit. One thing I hope you realize is that age, body flexibility and fitness will change a lot of our former assumptions and what we think is a good fit for us in the past is no longer true today.

I would strongly advise that you go to a good bike shop and get a fit or try out some bikes from friends to validate your assumptions.

If you try to compromise, you may incur injury or end up spending more money "changing wardrobes" or worse give up on riding again because it's not fun to ride in pain.

fiamme red
03-24-2011, 10:17 AM
Here are pics of the Raleigh I'm selling off:
http://i491.photobucket.com/albums/rr273/vsefiream/pics/Raleigh.jpgThat's a nice bike, one that I'd ride with no hesitation whatsoever. You shouldn't worry about the glued joints failing. They would give you warning long in advance. The bike won't collapse all of a sudden under you while you're riding.

From what I've heard, the Techniums of that era rode very nicely, as long as stiffness wasn't your priority.

vsefiream
03-24-2011, 11:59 AM
John-pal, it's great to see you get back to riding again.

I used to own a beautiful white Atlanta.
http://www.alicehui.com/serotta/atlanta/1.jpg

The price is good however more important than the price, is the fit. One thing I hope you realize is that age, body flexibility and fitness will change a lot of our former assumptions and what we think is a good fit for us in the past is no longer true today.

I would strongly advise that you go to a good bike shop and get a fit or try out some bikes from friends to validate your assumptions.

If you try to compromise, you may incur injury or end up spending more money "changing wardrobes" or worse give up on riding again because it's not fun to ride in pain.

I know what you're talking about. I have been to two different shops in the last week evaluating my size. I used to ride a 58, and that's what the Raleigh is. While looking I think I am more comfortable on a 56 and the Atlanta is a 56L so I think I'll be doing myself a favor going to the Serotta in regards to fit as well. Thanks for the comment

John

cmg
03-24-2011, 12:31 PM
i thought Raleigh Techniums were built out of aluminum not steel. when were they built from 531? the atlanta is a sweet bike in classic Serotta colors, sounds like good deal.

fiamme red
03-24-2011, 12:38 PM
i thought Raleigh Techniums were built out of aluminum not steel. when were they built from 531? the atlanta is a sweet bike in classic Serotta colors, sounds like good deal.I believe the lugs on that model were aluminum, bonded to steel Reynolds 531 tubes.

vsefiream
03-24-2011, 12:38 PM
i thought Raleigh Techniums were built out of aluminum not steel. when were they built from 531? the atlanta is a sweet bike in classic Serotta colors, sounds like good deal.

Some were aluminum tubes bonded to aluminum lugs. Mine is a later vintage aluminum lugs with Reynolds 531. There was a 751? model with the higher end Reynolds tubes and Dura Ace the frame was white and it was called the Raleigh 751 Technium Team. I have heard stories of corrosion between the dissimilar metals causing fatigue of the joint and leading to failure

AngryScientist
03-24-2011, 12:46 PM
if i were in need of a bike, and this fit me, i would not hesitate to pay 750 or more for this beauty. looks to be in great shape.

http://i491.photobucket.com/albums/rr273/vsefiream/pics/Serotta.jpg

CaptStash
03-24-2011, 12:53 PM
Seems like the price is right and the price for packing is appropriate as well. The shipping is high though. You might try getting a FedcEx account (it's free) and then sending the shipper a FedEx label as a PDF. Should cost about $50 +/- to ship via FedEx ground.

Good luck and let us know ho wit works out.

CaptStash....

Fixed
03-24-2011, 01:12 PM
if you can .. buy it you will be happy and happiness is worth a lot
cheers

oliver1850
03-24-2011, 04:16 PM

old_fat_and_slow
03-24-2011, 04:49 PM
Beautiful bike. I would jump on it before it gets away, and then you have more regrets to deal with.

Get it ! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

vsefiream
03-24-2011, 06:09 PM
I'm sending the money tomorrow!
I have the oportunity to buy a really nice '97 aluminum Serotta frame with an F1 carbon fork from a guy in Saratoga Springs, says he grew up with Ben's daughter. It's a 60cm with headset, stem (threadless) sl handle bars and a bb for $400 ORO. I don't recal which model nor can I tell in the pics I printed. I passed due to size but man is it purdy :)

vsefiream
03-24-2011, 06:11 PM
Seems like the price is right and the price for packing is appropriate as well. The shipping is high though. You might try getting a FedcEx account (it's free) and then sending the shipper a FedEx label as a PDF. Should cost about $50 +/- to ship via FedEx ground.

Good luck and let us know ho wit works out.

CaptStash....

Funny I shipped my last serotta via Fed Ex and never checked them this time. We have accounts with Fed Ex and UPS at work so I can look into them too

topher
03-24-2011, 08:41 PM
Thanks for sharing your story - I live in rochester too, and I ride with RBC and the Pedallers group - both great groups if you're looking for people to ride with!

Chris

vsefiream
03-24-2011, 08:50 PM
Thanks for sharing your story - I live in rochester too, and I ride with RBC and the Pedallers group - both great groups if you're looking for people to ride with!

Chris

I stopped in to Peddlers last week, the Sunday ride flyer is on my fridge as I type :-) My plan is to start out by riding to work twice a week. My commute is from Charlotte beach to Henrietta (390/90 area) and back, 40 miles each day. The third day of the week will be the Peddlers ride or something similar on Sunday. I like that the Peddlers ride starts later in the afternoon :)
I was commuting to work irregularly last year and a little more often the year before on my Homegrown with Conti town and country tires. As inefficient as that setup is I was still making decent time for being out of shape. I'm excited to step it back up again!

vqdriver
03-24-2011, 11:43 PM
Glad to see you've decided to buy the bike.
It doesn't really matter how you divide it up. IMO 650 for that bike to show up on my doorstep is a deal.

majorpat
03-25-2011, 06:00 AM
Good luck with the bike and the commute. Now that the weather is getting (slightly) better I am commuting about the same distance. Some of mine is pretty sketchy so I suggest buying a good light and rear blinker.

I saw a Stowe bike a couple times on Onondaga Cycling Club rides and wondered where they were from, I thought maybe Vermont. Thanks for the story and clearing that up.

If you're ever over on the eastern side of the Finger Lakes look me up for a ride.

Pat

vsefiream
03-25-2011, 08:18 AM
Thanks a lot guys, this board has helped to make this decision very easy.
I hear ya Major, we had some decent weather for a bit then the snow comes right back. IIRC I still have some cold weather riding gear somewhere. Although I probably won't be using it until later this year!

bobswire
03-25-2011, 08:52 AM
Here's a 59cm NHX > http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/bik/2280798954.html

vsefiream
03-25-2011, 09:31 AM
Here's a 59cm NHX > http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/bik/2280798954.html

Yea I saw that one. It's $200 more that the one I am buying, slightly too big, and still needs to be shipped but from slightly farther away. I was in LA last week and did a quick search on CL. I found and just missed a nice NHX in Long Beach, it sold for $495 in less than 24hours!!

vsefiream
03-25-2011, 11:43 AM
Well... I just sent the PO a certified check, just have to wait it out now.

jeo99
03-25-2011, 04:15 PM
Some were aluminum tubes bonded to aluminum lugs. Mine is a later vintage aluminum lugs with Reynolds 531. There was a 751? model with the higher end Reynolds tubes and Dura Ace the frame was white and it was called the Raleigh 751 Technium Team. I have heard stories of corrosion between the dissimilar metals causing fatigue of the joint and leading to failure

Well you were close. The Raleigh Team was Reynolds 753 steel (won more Le Tours than any other steel frame)w/full 8-spd STI D/A. I loved the ride and wish I never sold it! Problem was they had a void in sizing. I could be wrong on exact sizing but they produced a 58 and a 62 and I was in the middle, thus the reason for selling.

:beer:

vsefiream
03-25-2011, 06:53 PM
I didn't think 751 sounded correct hence the question mark. Thanks for the correction. Bummer about the sizing though.

I finally found pics of my old girl:
http://i491.photobucket.com/albums/rr273/vsefiream/Bikes/Serotta2.jpg
http://i491.photobucket.com/albums/rr273/vsefiream/Bikes/Serotta1.jpg
http://i491.photobucket.com/albums/rr273/vsefiream/Bikes/Serotta3.jpg

Depressing huh?

oliver1850
03-25-2011, 08:35 PM

oliver1850
03-25-2011, 08:45 PM

vsefiream
03-25-2011, 09:47 PM
I'm not sure if this is the same color or not. The head tube decal looks the same, but the rear looks pinker. :p (1989 catalog)
Man you guys are sharp, yes it is pinker. I brought the frame to PaintWorks, they painted it according to the '91 catalog which I have been unable to find yet but it's somewhere in this house. There was a second nhx at one of the races I competed in and it was much darker.
My frame was also an older vintage. If you look closely at the pics you'll notice the seat lug is different, my seatstays ended on the sides of the seattube not at the clamp. The top of each had the S engraved in it. Also the chain stays were straight.
PaintWorks did a poor job of color matching but a spectacular job of painting the bike. I wish they were still in business.

maximus
03-26-2011, 08:36 AM
I know everyone on here has already said it all, but:

1. welcome to the forum
2. your origninal bike was hot
3. 650 for a fully built up (and very clean looking) Atlanta is money well spent.

For perspective, a great condition Atlanta frame/fork should fetch around 400 bucks in these parts. Good luck and keep us updated. I didn't read all the posts, but maybe you made your choice already?

Sam in VA
03-26-2011, 07:13 PM
The Serotta looks very nice, but it certainly looks smaller than 59 cm and smaller than your Raleigh. Make sure the seller is measuring properly. I suppose it could be the picture angle, but from that pic and the fact that Atantas have a 7 cm BB drop, my guess is that its a 55 or 56.

I had a Raleigh Pro and then a Team the same vintage as your Comp. The Pro had AL main tubes and a CroMo rear end/fork (105 7S). The Team had 753 (DA 8S), and the Comp was 531 (600/8S). If you end up with the Atlanta, I'd swap the parts and put the Ultegra on the Serotta.

Nil Else
03-26-2011, 07:28 PM

+1.

I love em like family and I really have difficult time even to bring myself to think about parting with any. But this love can get very cumbersome... like right now.

Welcome!

Keith A
03-26-2011, 07:47 PM
Welcome to the forum. I really enjoyed your story and am glad to hear that you are back riding again. Hopefully the Atlanta will fit you well, if not keep on searching as older Serottas do pop up pretty regularly. BTW, check on eBay to as I have seen a number of them available there.

jonnyBgood
03-26-2011, 08:25 PM
Soo...what size is the Raleigh and how much are you selling it for?

oldpotatoe
03-27-2011, 08:08 AM
Well you were close. The Raleigh Team was Reynolds 753 steel (won more Le Tours than any other steel frame)w/full 8-spd STI D/A. I loved the ride and wish I never sold it! Problem was they had a void in sizing. I could be wrong on exact sizing but they produced a 58 and a 62 and I was in the middle, thus the reason for selling.

:beer:

Yep, great stuff but 753 is fairly recent in Reynolds history..531 has indeed been the tubing of the bicycles used to win the most Le Tours.

vsefiream
03-27-2011, 10:06 AM
Thanks guys. My old Serotta was a 59. My Raleigh is a 58 which does feel a little big but ok. I used to ride a bigger bike and be ok with it. I'm not sure if I was just thought it was the right fit back then or if my legs have shrunk?? Anyhow, I am wearing shorter (and wider) jeans then I ever have lol. I am 5' 11", 185lbs with a 34/32 jean size, used to be 32/34!!
I went to three shops in the weeks before commiting to purchase the 56Lcm Atlanta. I checked out a bunch of 58's and 56's. Strange enough, the 56's fit more comfortably. I understand that most of the new frames are virtual sizes but the fit is still the same.
Worst comes to worst, I'll resell the Atlanta if the fit is not right and hunt down another Serotta. I have a feeling though that this bike will fit really nice.
JohnnyBGood asked about the Raleigh, it's a 58cm with full Ultegra, non-sti. It has Mavic open 4cd rims and Sakae FX bars, stem, and post with a turbo saddle. It also has brand new tires. I am asking $350. It will be available only after I recieve my Atlanta.

vsefiream
03-27-2011, 10:11 AM
The Serotta looks very nice, but it certainly looks smaller than 59 cm and smaller than your Raleigh. Make sure the seller is measuring properly. I suppose it could be the picture angle, but from that pic and the fact that Atantas have a 7 cm BB drop, my guess is that its a 55 or 56.

I had a Raleigh Pro and then a Team the same vintage as your Comp. The Pro had AL main tubes and a CroMo rear end/fork (105 7S). The Team had 753 (DA 8S), and the Comp was 531 (600/8S). If you end up with the Atlanta, I'd swap the parts and put the Ultegra on the Serotta.

The Atlanta is indeed a 56L and it is mostly Ultegra as it is now. The PO says there is some 105 on it, I know the headset is 105, I think the STI levers are as well, otherwise, the rest is Ultegra.

vsefiream
04-14-2011, 03:32 PM
I'm finally the owner of a Serotta again, for the first time in over ten years!! It's in my office back in NY waiting for me to get back on Monday. It showed up Tuesday afternoon, the anticipation has been/is killing me!!
It sits in my office waiting:
http://i491.photobucket.com/albums/rr273/vsefiream/Bikes/untitled.jpg
A teaser pic I recieved on my BB earlier this week :crap:

Keith A
04-14-2011, 03:42 PM
Congratulations!

old_fat_and_slow
04-14-2011, 03:59 PM
Congrats ! ! ! Hope you have many happy miles together in the future.

Ride it in good health ! !

vsefiream
04-18-2011, 10:18 AM
Thanks guys. I finally arrived home at 12:30 in the afternoon yesterday and put my hands on the bike for the first time. Initial impressions are that this bike is in excellent shape with few miles.
I swapped out the RX100 front derailluer for a 600 I pickup from this list. Now all the components are 600 STI(8) with the exception of the headset which is 105, I'll leave that as is for now. The only other planned change is replacing the stem and bars with a TTT stem and SL Forma handlebars wrapped in something nice, probably Cinelli cork. The pedals are SPD style so I can use my existing shoes on both my homegrown and my Serotta which is a plus as well.
With the crazy weather and previous plans, I have not had a chance to take it out for a spin yet but I am so looking forward to it. I'll take some high res photos and put them in the photo gallery soon. All in all if I add in the shipping, cost of the certified check and postage as well as the derailluer and handlebars I am at about $675. Not bad IMHO
Future upgrades are hopefully an F1 fork and a carbon seatpost ;)

Oh and BTW, the Raleigh is up for sale, I'll post some pics of it and a description in the classified section soon

vsefiream
04-18-2011, 10:26 AM
I forgot to mention that earlier on I heard that Atlantas did not have the engraved S on the fork crown. However my bike has the sloping fork crown with the engraved S. Any thoughts?
It also has the CSI style dropouts. I think this makes it a '98 model?

vsefiream
04-18-2011, 12:38 PM
A very interesting yet ironic thing just happened...
I have been activly searching for an F1 carbon fork for my Atlanta for the last few weeks here and on the web. Here's the weird part, I'm not sure how or why it happened but I do know my luck has been with me lately....
I have recieved a few pm's from folks here in reply to my WTB F1 fork ad. One person had an F1 with a long steerer. So I called an LBS that I trust and asked how much it would be to tap the threads another 1 1/2" and cut it down. They were reluctant to cut with their die as it's really meant to chase not cut. No problem I can respect their respect for their tools. So I ask if he recommends anybody and he had a few recommendations. Then he interjects, what kind of fork is it?? I told him I have a '98 ish Serotta and I am looking for an F1. He simply asks what steer tube length and I told him 6.25". He says he has one. I asked what color, he says yellow, I asked how much, he says $125. Next thing I know I'm there on lunch and a nice yellow F1 is safely in my hands ready to be installed on my Atlanta. Heck I might as well get a new headset now!
I feel like I just drank 3 cups of coffee!! LOL Oh happy day!

Keith A
04-18-2011, 12:51 PM
Amazing...what are the chances of that happening?

oliver1850
04-18-2011, 02:13 PM

vsefiream
04-18-2011, 02:44 PM
I've been looking for a long F1 for a year. Hope you didn't cut it off.

When you get your steel fork off, check to see if the serial number on the steerer matches the one on the frame. If it matches I would recommend you keep the fork with the frame. It will be interesting to see if it came with the frame or not. As mentioned most Atlantas have the flat crown fork. The 1996 catalog says Kinesis Al is optional. 1997 catalog is the aniversery one, talks more about history of the company than the current bikes. The 1998 catalog lists the F1 as optional on the Atlanta, and the stock fork as classic steel. I can't tell from the picture, as it's too grainy, but it looks like it might be the semi sloping crown fork.
Yep, the '98 catalog looks like a sloped crown but I cannot tell if it's engraved. I will definitly keep the original fork. When I install the F1 I will check for the serial number to see if it matches the frame.

vsefiream
04-23-2011, 02:56 PM
I pulled the steel fork off my Atlanta. It has a sloping crown and an engraved S. The serial number on the fork does not match other than the 54 indicating the size. Oh well