PDA

View Full Version : I have a love hate relationship with my wheels, time for new ones.

Spectrum Bob
03-24-2011, 07:31 AM
Hi everyone, it has been a very long time since I last logged on. 12-2-2009

I am still riding the original wheels that came with my Spectrum 8 years ago, Campy Neutrons. They have been great wheels and I have put a lot of miles on them with minimal service.

But on Sunday as I got a flat I was reminded what I hate about them and that is getting the tire off the rim. This is the only set of wheels of all of the bikes my wife and I have owned in the past 20 years that I can not get the tire off the rim with out a tool. You should see the cut on my finger from the blades spoke……..ouch!

I am ready for a new set of wheels and I have not been keeping up on components like I used to when I used to be a regular here.

So here is my question, I am looking for a similar wheel, both light, fast and with a lively feel. So any recommendations on a prebuilt wheel or a good person to do a custom build would be greatly appreciated. Even a reference to a past thread would also be great.

Thanks for your help,

Bob

Ken Robb
03-24-2011, 08:36 AM
you can try a search of the archives for LOTS of wheel info/opinions.

saab2000
03-24-2011, 08:44 AM
The new thing is the 23mm rims. They spread out the tire for a larger contact patch and less of a 'light bulb' shape for the tire. The theory is a better ride without making the jump to tubulars. I do not have some but will be getting some at some point.

Velocity and Hed make such rims and both also sell complete wheels.

roguedog
03-24-2011, 08:45 AM
Hey..

I'm not sure if these meet your "light and fast" requirements but lots of folks seem to like the Hed C2s (Ardenne, Bastogne, Belgium). More recently Velocity seems to have come out with something similar called the A23s which oldpotatoe seems to like a lot.

As for builders, of course there's the usual Joe Young or ergott who seem to be popular on the forum but also Justin @ luxe wheelworks. Likely oldpotatoe will build you a set too.

ultraman6970
03-24-2011, 08:54 AM
If the wheels u have work why to change them?? I mean the problem with the tire is because of the tire you are using maybe. Just take the bearings out, repack them put them back and ride them. Those wheels are eternal.

Have a set of shimano 105 that are like 25 years old, still running strong. Never even a spoke broken.

flydhest
03-24-2011, 09:11 AM
Bob, how much do you want for the old neutrons? PM me.

BlackTiBob
03-24-2011, 11:23 AM
depends on your budget. Please let us know if you're talking $600 or $1000 or $1500 level...^

flydhest
03-24-2011, 01:15 PM
http://www.nimble.net/

Nimble Fly $1000, 1300 grams

deechee
03-24-2011, 01:54 PM
my LBS built open pros/DT swiss 1.1's are super easy to get the tire on/off from. My old Eastons however I do not miss at ALL. Getting a tire on the 650c easton was the most painful activity I ever had to do. Add to that a stupid cat who bit the new tube before it went in, made the tire change even more ridiculous than it had to be.

:)

Anyway, I'm all for the LBS making you a set of wheels. No more prebuilts for me or my gf.

jr59
03-24-2011, 01:58 PM
Try Joe Young

Smiley
03-24-2011, 02:29 PM
http://www.nimble.net/

Nimble Fly $1000, 1300 grams

For that kind of dough you can buy a set of Alchemy wheels ....really and come out with a better build :)

zap
03-24-2011, 04:12 PM
Hi Bob-been some time.

Jeremy @ Alchemy is a good bloke and builds quality wheels.

old_fat_and_slow
03-24-2011, 04:36 PM
I would try a different tire manufacturer and model before you give up on the wheels.

Different manufacturers for tires and wheels build to different tolerances. Perhaps your Neutrons are a bit on the large size, and the tires you are using are built to the small side of the tolerance, thus leading to difficulty getting the tires off and on. You can also try Veloplugs instead of rim tape. Veloplug do not run continuously around the rim like tape does, and therefore could buy you some additional clearance. Maybe you could check with other Neutron users and see what tires they are running, and see if they're having the same issues you are.

Neutrons are pretty sensible wheels. Don't give up on them unless you have to.

If you absolutely have to have new wheels, two of our forum members are pretty good at it.

Eric (Ergott wheels) and also

Peter (Oldpotatoe) Vecchios in Boulder

Both of these guys know their stuff and can build you great wheels.

JD Smith
03-24-2011, 05:09 PM
The new thing is the 23mm rims. They spread out the tire for a larger contact patch and less of a 'light bulb' shape for the tire. The theory is a better ride without making the jump to tubulars. I do not have some but will be getting some at some point.

Velocity and Hed make such rims and both also sell complete wheels.

Using the same tire, I'd think you'd have to use more pressure on the 23mm rim to avoid pinch flats, negating the "better ride". Plus, you'd lose the round contact area nearer to the sidewalls, one of the benefits of tubular tires when cornering.

rnhood
03-24-2011, 05:55 PM
The Shimano 7850, or newer 7900C-24CL wheels are your ticket to complete satisfaction. No weight limit, impeccable construction, light weight, and a lively nimble feel that eludes the other wheel sets I own. Even if you don't buy a set, you should at least try them. They will likely put a smile on your face that even the upcoming tax day won't take off.

Spectrum Bob
03-24-2011, 06:02 PM
Thanks everyone, I appreciate your insight on wheels.

Saab2000 I have read a little on the 23mm rims and they do sound interesting.

Flydhest, those old neutrons are such good old friends I was not thinking of getting rid of them but if I should decide you will have first crack at them. What I find interesting Flydest is that you would recommend the Nimble Fly, must be something with the name. I am not sure I am ready for tubulars. I am looking for easy as I am getting older. Though they seam like a hot wheel set for $1000 would they hold up to rough roads and every day use?

DeeChee I have and old set a LBS built me for my old Vitus with record hubs / open pro rims that are bomb proof. The front wheel is on my wife’s fixie and the rear is on my trainer bike. That front wheel once blew off the roof of my care at 75 on the Washington DC beltway, rolled between traffic and came to a stop with out a scratch. I must admit I am leaning to some one like Alchemy or Joe Young to build me a set.

One question rnhood, would you put them on a Campy equipped bike? I have actually thought of that wheel for my wife’s bike. We both have Spectrums but hers is Dura-ace and mine is Record, go figure.

Any other feedback is still greatly appreciated.

rnhood
03-24-2011, 06:57 PM
I'm pretty sure the Shimano wheel will not take the campy freehub. Of course you could always seize this opportunity to make a "double upgrade", and put a Shimano drive train on your bike :) .

I have about 8K miles on my initial set and, about 3 maybe 4K miles on my second set (different bikes). For me they are total satisfaction. They exude a light and agile spirited feel that just eludes the other wheels I've ridden. They are especially good in the mountains.

I don't mean to over play these wheels, but I sure like them. If you get down this way for any reason, even within Va, you are welcome to borrow a set. Of course at this time only your wife can ride them.

Spectrum Bob
03-24-2011, 07:01 PM
rnhood,
That is the feel I am looking for and what I am used to with my current set up.
Bob

saab2000
03-24-2011, 07:05 PM
Using the same tire, I'd think you'd have to use more pressure on the 23mm rim to avoid pinch flats, negating the "better ride". Plus, you'd lose the round contact area nearer to the sidewalls, one of the benefits of tubular tires when cornering.

I do not yet have a set, but the praise of these wider rims from actual users is nearly universal.

What I can say is that I have tried some of the 25 mm clinchers on a set of Nucleon clincher wheels and hated them. They just seemed mushy. I am willing to try the wider 23mm rims. If they don't work out, well, at least I tried.

I normally ride tubulars, pretty much exclusively. They ride nicely and with the exception of last year when I inexplicably had a bunch of flats for no good reason, they have been very durable for me.

But I'm willing to try the 23 mm clinchers. Most folks love them. The concept seems sound and the tires do look visibly wider when mounted on them.

zmudshark
03-24-2011, 07:08 PM
I understand the new Campy wheels are a little more 'tire friendly'. I feel you pain on the Neutrons, never had so much trouble mounting a tire in my life. I now have a couple of these in the bags of my Campy wheeled bikes:
http://www.amazon.com/Crank-Brothers-Speed-Tire-Lever/dp/B003RZB1HQ
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31Hfnu-v5gL._SS500_.jpg

They work.

Put me second in line for the Neutrons, should you decide to sell.

Spectrum Bob
03-24-2011, 07:19 PM
I have that Crank Brothers tire lever and used it to change this last flat. It is the best I have ever used for these wheels. For some reason it was exceptionally hard to remove the tire this time. Maybe I am getting too old :confused:

oldpotatoe
03-25-2011, 07:01 AM
The Shimano 7850, or newer 7900C-24CL wheels are your ticket to complete satisfaction. No weight limit, impeccable construction, light weight, and a lively nimble feel that eludes the other wheel sets I own. Even if you don't buy a set, you should at least try them. They will likely put a smile on your face that even the upcoming tax day won't take off.

I didn't see that the OP has Campagnolo wheels but with a shimano freehub body(?). As 'nice' as these propriatary wheels are, they don't offer a Campagnolo compatible freehub body. PLUS, $1800?? and 1700 or so grams?

For that $ the gent could get 2 sets of wheels, handmade, one even with Record hubs and have the $ left over for a really nice dinner out.

pjm
03-25-2011, 07:02 AM
From my experience, the Vittioria Open Corsa is the easiest (least difficult) to mount on a Campy rim. Michelin? Good luck.... :rolleyes:

AngryScientist
03-25-2011, 07:04 AM
i'd like to add that i've recently acquired a pair of wheels built with record hubs, bladed spokes and mavic cxp33 rims. these are, by far the easiest to mount tires to, no tools necessary, they just slip right on. i don't actually own a gram scale but they feel pretty light to me.

Spectrum Bob
03-26-2011, 07:11 PM
PJM I am running pro race 3

rnhood
03-26-2011, 07:52 PM
The Vittoria Open Corsa do seem to go on and off easier than the Pro Race and Conti tires. I like both the Conti 4000 and Open Corsa in 25mm. Lately I've been running the 4000 and they ride really nice and virtually zero flat issues. In my opinion, they are more robust than the Open Corsa while riding every bit as good, for all practical purposes.

I didn't see that the OP has Campagnolo wheels but with a shimano freehub body(?). As 'nice' as these propriatary wheels are, they don't offer a Campagnolo compatible freehub body. PLUS, $1800?? and 1700 or so grams?

For that $ the gent could get 2 sets of wheels, handmade, one even with Record hubs and have the $ left over for a really nice dinner out.

I don't think they are compatible with Campy, and I thought I mentioned this in my previous post. Also, maybe I did not provide the proper model number for the wheel. The wheels I am referring to are expensive, no doubt about it but, they don't cost $1800 nor do they weight 1700 grams. I have included two links below where these wheels can be purchased for a little over $800. Of course the Campy issue remains.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=61004

http://cgi.ebay.com/SHIMANO-Wheelset-DURA-ACE-Road-Bike-7900-C-24-CL-Carbon-/330508906354#ht_1602wt_907

rounder
03-26-2011, 09:11 PM
I've got neutrons and really like them. I have been riding them for about 6 years on one bike with no adjustment. I agree that it is hard to mount tires on them. But i was riding down a hill one time and had a tire blow out (Continental 4000). There was no adventure. The tire stayed on the rim and i braked to a stop. No loose or broken spokes.

Louis
03-26-2011, 09:23 PM
Scott (Ergott wheels)

I thought this was Eric?

ergott
03-26-2011, 09:54 PM
I thought this was Eric?
Si señor.

sokyroadie
03-27-2011, 06:57 AM
I understand the new Campy wheels are a little more 'tire friendly'. I feel you pain on the Neutrons, never had so much trouble mounting a tire in my life.

The new Campy wheels are DEFINITELY much easier to mount tires on. I sold a set of older Protons due to tire mounting issues. I was reluctant to try Campy wheels again but heard that tires were easier to mount, and it was as easy as any other wheels that I own. :banana:

Jeff

old_fat_and_slow
03-27-2011, 09:25 AM
Si señor.

Damnnit' Sorry 'bout that Eric. Oh well I got yer company name right.

:crap:

Len J
03-27-2011, 04:01 PM
Bob

Just wanted to say hi. Hope all is well with you and yours.

Len

ergott
03-27-2011, 09:16 PM
Damnnit' Sorry 'bout that Eric. Oh well I got yer company name right.

:crap:

No worries mate.