PDA

View Full Version : Saddle creak

Bud
03-23-2011, 08:39 PM
Well, sometime in the last few months of not riding it, the saddle on my Fierte developed a serious and persistent creak. Seems that the shell finally has broken down and is flexing too much. I guess it is five years old. But it seems interesting that the creak didn't develop catastrophically or during use, rather just sitting in the garage over the winter.

FWIW, it's a specialized BG avatar cut-out. Too bad, as it fit my backside quite comfortably.

I replaced it with my Selle Italia cut-out Serotta saddle this afternoon (got it from Bruce K a few years back). This'll do until I can afford to pony up for a new saddle. And it looks sweet in the meantime.

Fixed
03-23-2011, 08:46 PM
that is a cool serotta saddle damn-it
cheers

Vientomas
03-23-2011, 09:10 PM
My Selle Italia Flite developed a creak. I localized the noise to the front of the saddle. I remedied the creak by lubing the point where the front of the rails are inserted into the shell with some Phil Wood Tenacious Oil. Apply oil, flex the saddle to work the oil into the joint and repeat. Silence is golden.

rustychisel
03-23-2011, 09:13 PM
+ 2 or 3 saddles I've treated this way.

I make no comment on an embroidered saddle (which I personally find to be a peculiar sort of buttock-clenching cold-sweat ridged-red saddle-sore kind of hell). Obviously, therefore, YMMV

Bob Ross
03-24-2011, 10:27 AM
I remedied the creak by lubing the point where the front of the rails are inserted into the shell

^^^This. I had a creak develop in my fizik Aliante 4 or 5 years ago. Squirted some chain lube in where the rails insert into the shell (both front & rear in my case) and haven't heard a sound since.

Bud
03-24-2011, 10:36 AM
I'll try the lube trick this evening. Thanks for the tip folks. Though I wonder if the creak may be a symptom of increased flex due to age/use? If the oil fixes the creak, fine, but I wonder if it's flexing too much.

In the meantime, the embroidered Selle Italia is pretty comfortable, though just a tad bit too wide.

Ken Robb
03-24-2011, 11:18 AM
[QUOTE=Bud] Though I wonder if the creak may be a symptom of increased flex due to age/use?

I find that I am creaking quite a bit more due to age/use. :D

Fixed
03-24-2011, 02:02 PM
i find it is my post that creaks but i have a cheap post so i am getting a better post ..