PDA

View Full Version : OT Recurve bows

toaster
03-23-2011, 08:26 AM
Something about these older Fred Bear bows that makes me want to collect one or two. Have been watching eBay and it seems a vintage bow with about a 45lb pull is ideal.

I have a Root Field Master that I picked up cheap many year ago and need to get out and shoot some arrows again soon.

old_fat_and_slow
03-23-2011, 09:28 AM
I cut my teeth on an old recurve bow during my idle days as a youth. I think it was a "Ben Pearson" bow. I was never really strong enough to get into the heavy-duty hunting bows that I wanted at the time, (I think I wanted a 55 or 60 lb-pull bow). Then I finally went over to the dark side, and bought a Browning compound bow. While a recurve is certainly sexier, a compound bow is a heck of a lot nicer (and easier) to hold at full draw. I always wanted to get into fletching my own arrows, but then I went to college, had to get a job, and had to move to the metropolis. The old Browning compound bow still sits in the closet waiting to rise again like a Phoenix. (Maybe, someday after I retire to a more rural area, I'll change the string on her, wax her up, and get back into it.) Thanks for bringing back some fond memories from my youth.

flickwet
03-23-2011, 09:53 AM
45lbs should be fine, remember longer is better, less finger pinch and stacking. In Bear check out the Tamarlane and Tartar not hunting bows though. Personally I shoot a Mitchell Bro.s (early Black Widow) target recurve 38#'s, a Brackenbury, the Serotta of hunting bows, 52lbs; and a custom self Longbow (Yew) 45 lbs. However bad rotator cuffs limit my shooting. Never hunt just like to shoot. Have fun

Clydesdale
03-23-2011, 03:38 PM
I have been a traditional archer (mainly longbow) for years and make arrows, strings, etc. I have made a bow or two but that is way too much work - I'll stick with arrows.

It's a great hobby. if you plan to shoot the bow check the draw length/weight first. Typically listed at 28inch draw unless marked otherwise and a good guess is about 3lbs +/- per inch shorter or longer. Be careful going any longer than about 30" (maybe 31") draw on the old hunting models. The other first check on any older bow is limb twist. Make sure the limbs are true and the string tracks down the center. Bear made great bows but the older ones can be spendy anymore. Post pics if you get it.

Bruce K
03-23-2011, 05:03 PM
I grew up with a Bear Tamerlane shooting on summer camp teams and winter recreational league stuff.

I was OK but not great.

But it was SO much fun.

BK

Mike748
03-23-2011, 05:08 PM
I still have my Hoyt from when I was a kid. Take it out in the backyard now and then when the chickens are secure in their pen.