PDA

View Full Version : Any Trail Runners? Shoe Recommendation

rugbysecondrow
03-23-2011, 07:19 AM
I trial run occasionally and will be upping my runs for an Xterra I have coming up in July. Any recommendations for low profile/minimalist shoes? I have used chunkier trail shoes in the past, but I find the higher profile of many of these shoes contributes to twisted ankles for me. I would like to try something new. I have also changed my running gait to accomodate more mid-foot and less heal strike, so I think I can integrate these types of shoes in now for a race in July.

Thanks!

Paul

christian
03-23-2011, 07:48 AM
I use the Inov8 X-Talon 212 for orienteering (so mostly off trail). I like it, but it's a bit narrow in the forefoot for me - I have 9.5E feet.

Scott Shire
03-23-2011, 08:03 AM
La Sportiva Wildcat (http://www.sportiva.com/products/prod/536)

New Balance 910 (http://www.newbalance.com/products/MT910/)

Also like

Lafuma Sky Race
Montrail Sabino
Salomon Speedcross 2
Scarpa Epic, Pursuit & Mistral.

BobbyJones
03-23-2011, 08:34 AM
Inov8 's seem to be the rage amongst my trail racing friends. Not sure on models though.

Take a look at the Brooks Cascadia while you're shopping as well.

christian
03-23-2011, 08:37 AM
For genuine trail running the Inov8 Roclite 315 seems very popular with my friends, but it's a trail "running" shoe, not an orienteering/fell running shoe.

rugbysecondrow
03-23-2011, 08:39 AM
I will have to check some of these out and hopefully REI or a few stores near me will carry these in my size.

Thanks and let me know if you have more recommendations.

I raced the Xterra 3 years ago, which is actually what go me into MTbiking. I am using that as a goal race this year so I can kick a little arse, need to up the ante on my trail running.

Cheers

Paul

AngryScientist
03-23-2011, 08:43 AM
as i recommended in the last thread on minimalist shoes, i would suggest you really ease into running in a pair of minimalist shoes, if they are new to you, the risk of injury is rather high IMO, if you jump back into running with a pair of ultra minimalist shoes. i would opt for getting both a traditional supportive pair of trail runners and a minimalist shoe, and balance the use of each, upping the miles on the minimalist shoe gradually if you prefer.

just a suggestion from a long time runner.

rugbysecondrow
03-23-2011, 09:19 AM
as i recommended in the last thread on minimalist shoes, i would suggest you really ease into running in a pair of minimalist shoes, if they are new to you, the risk of injury is rather high IMO, if you jump back into running with a pair of ultra minimalist shoes. i would opt for getting both a traditional supportive pair of trail runners and a minimalist shoe, and balance the use of each, upping the miles on the minimalist shoe gradually if you prefer.

just a suggestion from a long time runner.
Thanks, I agree.

I have been working out in a pair of Addidias Samba shoes for the last 6 months which are pretty flat and much more minimalist that other contoured shoes. I also work out and jump rope quite a bit barefoot, so I have tried to lay the ground work for this some. My goal race is in July, so that is why I want to start working into it now. I don't run long distances, under 5 miles so I don't have a huge gap to bridge.

As an aside, I have noticed that since I have started working out in the Sambas and barefoot, my feet get sore when I go back to my running shoes. I am not certain if my feet have changed or what, but they don't react well to them.

Thanks for the advice!

Paul

tamjam
03-23-2011, 09:38 AM
If by mimimalist you mean barefoot style, like the Vibram Five Fingers (which didn't work for me, too glove-like), I just ordered a pair of the new Merrell Trail Glove (http://www.rei.com/product/810573) (although the stock at REI looks pretty much gone). Reviews of the shoe are nearly 100% positive it seems. Mine will arrive today.

rugbysecondrow
03-23-2011, 09:41 AM
If by mimimalist you mean barefoot style, like the Vibram Five Fingers (which didn't work for me, too glove-like), I just ordered a pair of the new Merrell Trail Glove (http://www.rei.com/product/810573) (although the stock at REI looks pretty much gone). Reviews of the shoe are nearly 100% positive it seems. Mine will arrive today.

Those Merrells are what got me thinking. I have tried the 5 finger shoes, but my little toe does not cooperate with the concept.

Let me know how you like them.

th_boone
03-23-2011, 09:57 AM
I would try a La Sportiva Crosslite or Fireblade OR Salomon Speedcross for most minimal.

Stepping up to light and neutral, try something like the TNF Singletrack, Brooks Cascadia.

Tons of good options these days..

alembical
03-23-2011, 05:48 PM
I have had real good luck with the new Montrail Rogue Racers. Before that, I was wearing the New Balance 790's and liked those as well. Most of the others felt too clunky to me. For years, I ran in the Cascadias, but recently that shoe has not worked out for me. Definitely try on what ever you are interested though and buy from somewhere good that lets you return them even if you have ran in them.

scrub
03-23-2011, 06:48 PM
I tried a couple of different trail running shoes including the much loved Brooks Cascadia (I love my Brooks Trance road shoes) and didn't like them at all but I decided to try a pair of Adidas Adizero XT

http://www.csneaker.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/16/Mens-adidas-Sport-adiZero-XT-Trail-Shoes.jpg

and I've been loving them the grip is exactly what I need for the sloppy mess of PNW spring, they are low and lightweight too.

tamjam
03-23-2011, 09:07 PM
Those Merrells are what got me thinking. I have tried the 5 finger shoes, but my little toe does not cooperate with the concept.

Sounds like we had similar problems with the 5 fingers. The Merrells arrived today (zappos really is incredible, they arrived less than 24 hours after ordering). I can tell immediately they will work better for me than the 5 fingers. Just having them on my feet makes me want to go run in them.

The toe box is very wide though, so be careful. I have a narrow/low volume foot, and I am going to wear these around the house a couple days to see if I can get used to the little bit of extra roominess around my toes. For reference, I wear a 43 Sidi, a 9US Mavic, and ordered a 9.5 in these. I *might* be able to wear a 9.

They seem to give enough support and have a stable enough sole to work nicely on a rocky trail, like we have around here.

rinconryder
03-23-2011, 10:26 PM
If it's not muddy you may not need true trail shoes. I run trails in running shoes all the time without problem. For the best minimalist running / racing shoe out there check out the Saucony Kinvara.

New balance also has a new trail running minimalist shoe that just came out. May be worth a look if you are set on a trail shoe.

JStonebarger
03-24-2011, 12:15 PM
Those Merrells are what got me thinking. ...Let me know how you like them.

I got mine about a week ago. Only a few short, easy runs since then (not because of the shoes, but due to a spine fusion and 5 months without running since), but my initial impression is very positive. More toe room than anything I've worn before, no drop whatsoever, and they seem to be made very well. Again, I only have a few miles on them so we'll see, but for now they're my favorites.

tamjam
03-24-2011, 12:49 PM
I got mine about a week ago. Only a few short, easy runs since then (not because of the shoes, but due to a spine fusion and 5 months without running since), but my initial impression is very positive. More toe room than anything I've worn before, no drop whatsoever, and they seem to be made very well. Again, I only have a few miles on them so we'll see, but for now they're my favorites.

Have you been wearing socks with yours, or did you go barefoot from the get go? With the toe box being so roomy, I can't tell if I should go down 1/2 size, or if that's just the way they are designed to fit. When I put on a thin sock, they fit a bit more snugly, as they should.

crownjewelwl
03-24-2011, 01:28 PM
from my experience, the whole point of minimalist/barefoot running is to correct your gait such that you land on your mid/forefoot instead of your heel.

i tried running in VFFs, but they didn't agree with my arches. i just bought a pair of newton running shoes and i love them. they provide enough cushion to protect your feet but also make you land on your midfoot because of the shape of the sole. i have the regular ones, but they do make a trail version...

http://www.newtonrunning.com/newton-products/the-shoes/mens-shoes/men-guidance-trainer/trail-guidance-trainer

JStonebarger
03-24-2011, 01:31 PM
My understanding is that they're meant to be worn without socks, but I've tried them both ways. Initially the extra room in the toe box made me wonder if they were too big, but it also means I can tie the laces tighter than I'm used to with less roomy shoes.

Fixed
03-24-2011, 01:51 PM
new balance 10 i wear it ,i run 4 days a week 3-4 miles in the morning it is one of the things in my fitness program
but if you asked me i would say running is for people who don't own a bike
( but it is the best bang for the buck )
cheers

yetitotheheady
03-24-2011, 11:52 PM
Hey I work at REI in the footwear department. Depending on the store size nearest you the stock they have on hand can differ. Meaning I work at a bigger store so we are allowed to carry more models. For members $75 or more is free shipping to home/or store whatever you prefer. Use the 20% coupon that is valid through 4/10.

As far as what REI carries. th_boone does a good job here with his recommendations. The Crosslite and Speedcross will be neutral cushioned lightweight(rep says race day shoes) shoes. They still have a typical heel to toe drop though (which the sambas you have been using really don't). I like the Cascadia a lot, I own it.

The vibrams are out of the equation for you I guess, you tried the "treksport" right? If you haven't try it on at least if you go in to an REI.

Merrell Trail Glove I think is what you after. Its about 2mm thicker than any Vibram, minimlist for sure, with a zero drop from heel to toe. It does have a ton of toe room but thats the idea, the fit should be snug(form fitted) from the heel to the ball of the foot then flair out wide so that your toes have room to splay out as they contact the ground.

I would try a La Sportiva Crosslite or Fireblade OR Salomon Speedcross for most minimal.

Stepping up to light and neutral, try something like the TNF Singletrack, Brooks Cascadia.

Tons of good options these days..

If you are going to go to REI call them first to inquire about size and model, so that you don't waste your time. They can put a few on hold for 24hrs, so someone else doesn't snag them before you do.

another good resource for early reviews and general info on minimalist shoes that I have come across is http://birthdayshoes.com/

hairylegs
03-25-2011, 12:23 AM
North Face Rucky Chucky's. I think they still make them! I'm on the same pair for 2 years now! If you need a little stability, have an average arch they're my pick for sure!!!

lemondsteel
03-25-2011, 04:05 AM
I have used the Vasque Velocity and they have been THE shoe for me. Light, great with or without socks. VERY stable. I have even carried a 35lb pack into the Wind River Mountains in them. Snowed 10" the night before the pack out. With Smartwool socks I had wet feet but they stayed warm. I didn't have the GoreTex model. Being wet for a 16 mile hike out didn't affect them at all. Very durable and great for my foot.

rugbysecondrow
03-25-2011, 05:27 AM
Thanks, I think this is what I will do. I was looking at using my coupon and dividend on this so your post is timely. :)

My only issue with shoe shopping is that I wear a 13 or 14 depending on the shoe and many stores seem to have horrible selection in that range. I can always shop though, thanks!

Paul

Hey I work at REI in the footwear department. Depending on the store size nearest you the stock they have on hand can differ. Meaning I work at a bigger store so we are allowed to carry more models. For members $75 or more is free shipping to home/or store whatever you prefer. Use the 20% coupon that is valid through 4/10.

As far as what REI carries. th_boone does a good job here with his recommendations. The Crosslite and Speedcross will be neutral cushioned lightweight(rep says race day shoes) shoes. They still have a typical heel to toe drop though (which the sambas you have been using really don't). I like the Cascadia a lot, I own it.

The vibrams are out of the equation for you I guess, you tried the "treksport" right? If you haven't try it on at least if you go in to an REI.

Merrell Trail Glove I think is what you after. Its about 2mm thicker than any Vibram, minimlist for sure, with a zero drop from heel to toe. It does have a ton of toe room but thats the idea, the fit should be snug(form fitted) from the heel to the ball of the foot then flair out wide so that your toes have room to splay out as they contact the ground.

If you are going to go to REI call them first to inquire about size and model, so that you don't waste your time. They can put a few on hold for 24hrs, so someone else doesn't snag them before you do.

another good resource for early reviews and general info on minimalist shoes that I have come across is http://birthdayshoes.com/

tamjam
03-25-2011, 08:06 AM
Merrell Trail Glove I think is what you after....It does have a ton of toe room but thats the idea, the fit should be snug(form fitted) from the heel to the ball of the foot then flair out wide so that your toes have room to splay out as they contact the ground.

Great description of how they're supposed fit, thanks. That's more or less how my 9.5 fit right now, but I still want to try a 9 for size before wearing my 9.5 outside in case I need to return them. REI online shows 100% out of stock, but hopefully my local store has some supply so I can try in person.

Uncle Jam's Army
03-25-2011, 08:49 AM
I have used the Vasque Velocity and they have been THE shoe for me. Light, great with or without socks. VERY stable. I have even carried a 35lb pack into the Wind River Mountains in them. Snowed 10" the night before the pack out. With Smartwool socks I had wet feet but they stayed warm. I didn't have the GoreTex model. Being wet for a 16 mile hike out didn't affect them at all. Very durable and great for my foot.

+1

malcolm
03-25-2011, 10:58 AM
I use montrail mtn masochists and like them for all surfaces dry, wet etc. I've also got some newtons and they are great for dry, a little less traction on wet hard pack. I'm in the 180-200 lbs range most of the year if that helps

jh_on_the_cape
03-25-2011, 11:06 AM
If it's not muddy you may not need true trail shoes. I run trails in running shoes all the time without problem. .

YES. First of all, go to a good running and store and get fitted. Try them on the treadmill in the store. A good store will let you do this. This is much better than asking people on the internet! It's like saddles, there may be a high quality saddle that works for lots of people, but not you.

If you can walk the trails in regular shoes, not hiking boots, you can run in regular shoes. The ONLY time I use trail running shoes is when I am running in wet cold weather. I have some Solomon gore-tex shoes I wear for that. When my feet get wet I get blisters.

I think trail running shoes are over used. This idea was presented to me by an excellent employee at the marathon store in Boston.

rugbysecondrow
03-25-2011, 01:05 PM
YES. First of all, go to a good running and store and get fitted. Try them on the treadmill in the store. A good store will let you do this. This is much better than asking people on the internet! It's like saddles, there may be a high quality saddle that works for lots of people, but not you.

If you can walk the trails in regular shoes, not hiking boots, you can run in regular shoes. The ONLY time I use trail running shoes is when I am running in wet cold weather. I have some Solomon gore-tex shoes I wear for that. When my feet get wet I get blisters.

I think trail running shoes are over used. This idea was presented to me by an excellent employee at the marathon store in Boston.

The issue with many running shoes, in may lay person perspective, is that they work well for flat straight ahead running, but not as good on terrain. My experience has been that the higher profile of the shoe leaves me more susceptable for ankle injuries (just happend last weekend which helped to prompt this inquiry). I could go with a more minimalist road shoe, but I was thinking the small rock guard or protection might help a little.

JeremyS
03-25-2011, 01:09 PM
I used to trail run in big old chunky goretex blah blah stone plate protection etc North Faces.

Then I did a year in some low-profile montrails, now I'm on the VFF trail model. My wife runs trails in her softstars.

I also hike in some custom russell mocs I had made with just a boarhide sole.

beungood
03-25-2011, 01:57 PM
I trial run occasionally and will be upping my runs for an Xterra I have coming up in July. Any recommendations for low profile/minimalist shoes? I have used chunkier trail shoes in the past, but I find the higher profile of many of these shoes contributes to twisted ankles for me. I would like to try something new. I have also changed my running gait to accomodate more mid-foot and less heal strike, so I think I can integrate these types of shoes in now for a race in July.

Thanks!

Paul

Vibram Five Fingers KSO Trek's. Use wetsuit cleaner to keep them smelling good...

tamjam
03-26-2011, 06:30 PM
Well I have ended up with 2 pairs of the Trail Gloves. I went to my local REI on Friday and they had a 9 which fit great barefoot, but rather than return the 9 1/2 I got first, I'm keeping them and they will be my every day wearing-around ones, with socks.

I have gone for a short 15-20 min jog so far, without socks, and I love them. There is an out-and-back from my driveway that is about 1/3 pavement 2/3 dirt fireroad with a couple short & shallow hills. My wife saw me going out without socks and shrieked "you'll be sorry you can't run without socks!" but the shoe felt so snug and comfortable I did it anyway. Feet were fine, but my calves were (understandably) a little tight/sore afterwards. I can't wait to build up mileage so I can do my regular 5 mile trail loop.

rugbysecondrow
03-28-2011, 03:03 PM
Thanks all.

For everyones edification, I tried on a few other shoes.

I liked the Brooks Cascadia size 14 and they were comfortable, but the profile was higher than I wanted.

I tried on the Sportiva Crosslite shoes in a 13.5, but they were a little too small for me. The profile was not too high, but they didn't have a larger size in stock or else I might have pulled the trigger on these as they were my first pair I tried on.

In the Merrell True Gloves, I wear a 13 and they fit well. I am glad they had these as I think they will work well for me. I would concur with Tamjam that maybe a size smaller would be appropriate. I pulled the trigger on the Merrell True Glove shoes, I like them so far. I figure I would use them for running and if I don't like that, then they would make great work out shoes for the gym.

I have a run planned for tomorrow, so I will test them for about 3/4 of a mile as I ease into them. I am wearing them around the house to get used to them a little.

Again, thanks to all for your help.

rugbysecondrow
04-03-2011, 06:16 PM
I got a good run in the Merrell True Glove shoes yesterday. They felt very good, no red flags thus far. I only ran for about 20 minutes, just to get used to the feel and how my gait should be spaced. What is weird about these, and I suppose it is true about all minimalist shoes, is that it is like I had never run before. Changing my form will take some time as muscle memory is developed, and I felt myself trying to revert to my old form. Anyway, I am aware of my calves this morning, but they don't hurt.

They were a little pricey IMO, but I think they should last long and appear to be of good quality. The foiks are REI were very helpful and I had no less than 3 people tell me about the 100% no questions asked return policy. That sealed the deal.

Take the plunge with the shoes if you are at all interested in a more minimalist shoe.

Cheers

Paul

AngryScientist
04-05-2011, 06:59 PM
Paul - based on your review i went out and bought a pair of the true gloves tonight. been wearing them bumming around the house and backyard for a few hours, i actually feel a little muscle tenderness after a few hours just walking around, these may take some getting used to!

quesion for you: do you find the back digging into the back of your ankle at all? they are bothering me a bit back there, but maybe they just need to wear in a little...

rugbysecondrow
04-05-2011, 07:49 PM
Paul - based on your review i went out and bought a pair of the true gloves tonight. been wearing them bumming around the house and backyard for a few hours, i actually feel a little muscle tenderness after a few hours just walking around, these may take some getting used to!

quesion for you: do you find the back digging into the back of your ankle at all? they are bothering me a bit back there, but maybe they just need to wear in a little...

I didn't have any digging, but I had some rubbing on my upper heal, but nothing painful, just breaking them in. I wore them for the whole weekend as my primary shoes and have run three times in them. I like them. I can feel my muscles a little bit, but it is not painful at all but I have also been taking it slow.

To help this transition, I worked out either barefoot or in Adidas Sambas all winter. The Sambas are flat shoes that allow for good dexterity and feel pretty neutral as well. When barefoot, I have been jumping rope and doing kettle bell workouts, and I think those have helped me adjust some.

Hopefully I didn't lead you astray with the purchase, I like mine and I am glad I got them. My first triathlon of the season is May 7, so my goal is to be running a consistent 5k in the shoes by them. My goal race is an Xterra off-road triathlon in July, so I need to be comfortable and proficient by then.

Cheers!

Paul

tamjam
04-08-2011, 10:20 AM
I got a good run in the Merrell True Glove shoes yesterday. They felt very good, no red flags thus far. I only ran for about 20 minutes, just to get used to the feel and how my gait should be spaced. What is weird about these, and I suppose it is true about all minimalist shoes, is that it is like I had never run before. Changing my form will take some time as muscle memory is developed, and I felt myself trying to revert to my old form. Anyway, I am aware of my calves this morning, but they don't hurt.
Cheers

Paul
After a few 10-20 minute runs and wearing them around the house/town, as well as other mildly athletic situations such as little league practice/games, I decided to go for it yesterday and try the shoes on a longer run, something closer to my typical 50-60 minute mixed terrain loop. I think I was out for 40-45 minutes total.

First thing I'll say is that I have no calf/foot soreness at all today. None. I thought I might have bruised the sole of my foot on some of the rocks on the trail, but everything is fine today. Part of my route has some pretty sharp rocks strewn about, and I definitely felt them more through these soles than when wearing my Solomons. Need to pay more attention, watch out for rocks, kind of like riding my skinny-tired 'cross bike off-road vs. my MTB. Don't want to pinch flat.

In terms of running gait/form, I have no trouble on flat & uphill. I find my stride both shortens and quickens naturally. But going downhill is a completely new experience. My old heel-strike form doesn't work in these, but nor does landing on my mid-foot feel quite right either. Need more practice there I suppose.

Bottom line, for me, these shoes have brought back the fun to running. Strange how a simple pair of shoes can do that. I have always included running in my exercise routine as cross-training and training for 'cross, but it's always felt like a chore. In these, running my local trails & fireroads feels like a completely new experience, one that I'll do more for fun than out of obligation to my routine.

rugbysecondrow
04-08-2011, 10:28 AM
After a few 10-20 minute runs and wearing them around the house/town, as well as other mildly athletic situations such as little league practice/games, I decided to go for it yesterday and try the shoes on a longer run, something closer to my typical 50-60 minute mixed terrain loop. I think I was out for 40-45 minutes total.

First thing I'll say is that I have no calf/foot soreness at all today. None. I thought I might have bruised the sole of my foot on some of the rocks on the trail, but everything is fine today. Part of my route has some pretty sharp rocks strewn about, and I definitely felt them more through these soles than when wearing my Solomons. Need to pay more attention, watch out for rocks, kind of like riding my skinny-tired 'cross bike off-road vs. my MTB. Don't want to pinch flat.

In terms of running gait/form, I have no trouble on flat & uphill. I find my stride both shortens and quickens naturally. But going downhill is a completely new experience. My old heel-strike form doesn't work in these, but nor does landing on my mid-foot feel quite right either. Need more practice there I suppose.

Bottom line, for me, these shoes have brought back the fun to running. Strange how a simple pair of shoes can do that. I have always included running in my exercise routine as cross-training and training for 'cross, but it's always felt like a chore. In these, running my local trails & fireroads feels like a completely new experience, one that I'll do more for fun than out of obligation to my routine.

Funny you say that about the downhill, I am struggling with the same thing. Trying to build muscle memory for that, develop feel and really relearn how to run downhill.

Here is a pretty good article about running downhill and its impact. I have heard from VERY proficient runners that Heartbreak Hill is not the culprit, but rather the beating your body takes running downhill before the hil.

http://triathlon.competitor.com/2010/11/training/tips-for-downhill-running_16470#

Interesting to say the least.

Regarding the shoes, I really like them. I have taken to wearing them in the yard, playground with the kids, kicking the ball around etc. I might have to get a second pair, one for kicking around and another for running. I am curious about how these will wear long term as there is not much to break down. Are they as good as the soles?

JStonebarger
04-08-2011, 03:31 PM
...I have taken to wearing them in the yard, playground with the kids, kicking the ball around etc. I might have to get a second pair, one for kicking around and another for running....

Did you notice Merrel's "Tough Glove?" Essentially the same shoe with a leather upper, it can pass for "normal" street wear. Nice!

AngryScientist
04-22-2011, 12:36 PM
updating as i have several hours worth of running in the Merrells now. they took a little getting used to, but never any serious soreness or bruising of any kind. i'm mostly running on pavement and was a bit worried that the lack of shock absorbing material in the sole was going to lead to muscle and joint aches, but this has not been the case. it may be their marketing getting to me, but i do feel a bit more connected to the road when i run in these, my stride and turn-over seems to be more fluid with less energy wasted, who knows.

one thing i will say is that i will be hesitant to wear these for anything over a 40 - 50 minute run, i simply feel they are too minimal in the cushioning/ shock absorption area. for my longer runs i'll still reach for my trusty brooks adrenalines.

anyway thanks to rugby for turning me on to something different in my workout quiver, these take short runs and make them feel a bit different, in a good way. i had tried minimalist shoes before, but these seem to have the best design for my particular foot and running anatomy.

happy running all!

rugbysecondrow
04-23-2011, 07:23 AM
updating as i have several hours worth of running in the Merrells now. they took a little getting used to, but never any serious soreness or bruising of any kind. i'm mostly running on pavement and was a bit worried that the lack of shock absorbing material in the sole was going to lead to muscle and joint aches, but this has not been the case. it may be their marketing getting to me, but i do feel a bit more connected to the road when i run in these, my stride and turn-over seems to be more fluid with less energy wasted, who knows.

one thing i will say is that i will be hesitant to wear these for anything over a 40 - 50 minute run, i simply feel they are too minimal in the cushioning/ shock absorption area. for my longer runs i'll still reach for my trusty brooks adrenalines.

anyway thanks to rugby for turning me on to something different in my workout quiver, these take short runs and make them feel a bit different, in a good way. i had tried minimalist shoes before, but these seem to have the best design for my particular foot and running anatomy.

happy running all!

Glad you like them. I have put some good miles on mine as well and I have worn them around the house/yard quite a bit to get used to them. I am not a distance runner, so 50-60 minutes is about as long as I run now. I have some longer trail runs coming up this years, so I will have to amp up my distance.

For me, not a natural runner at all, I am still working on building muscle memory and maintaining my stride, particularly when I get further into my runs. For me, not only am did I introduce the shoes, but was working on my gait as well.

As for the shoes, I think they will last a while, the soles seem pretty strong and sturdy. My concern will be how the seems and fabric wear, particularly on the inside of the shoe. No problems yet, but just a concern of mine.

Lastly, I think they are a very good shoe, but I am not certain why they cost so much? MSRP is around $110, which seems high for how little there is to them.

Still good shoes and worth looking into.

Cheers

Paul

ejh
04-24-2011, 07:18 AM
being a trail runner for 10+ years and have run the Leadville 100 7X. I've tried almost every shoe out there and what I tell people to do is try all you can at the store, take all day. get what fits your feet not what other people say to. for me Brooks worked and fit my feet the best, only small blisters and I kept all my toe nails, not easy to do when running that kind of miles, enjoy the race

amgc36
04-25-2011, 12:50 PM
I find the North Face 105 GTX to be a great hiking, trail running shoe. The sole is stiff and not the best for running on pavement or concrete but does wonders on gravel and rocks. It has good ankle support and although it only comes in one width, fit fine (I normally wear 2E or 4E shoes).

For what it's worth, I just bought a pair of New Balance MT910 and find that they pinch on the outer ankle - actually it's really uncomfortable. I made the mistake of running outside (took the dog out) before finding this out. Walking around the house, the cutout incompatibility did not occur.

One brand I'm thinking about trying is Inov-8. I'm looking for a good shoe to use with platform pedals (for my commuter and around town bikes).

I would also add that it's worth trying Superfeet insoles in your shoes; to me they make a world of difference. The green ones fit in most athletic shoes; the orange ones are just a bit taller (slightly more padding). I have medium arches and the insoles that come with shoes have zero arch support.

xjoex
04-25-2011, 01:58 PM
I am a big fan of the North Face Hedgehog GTX, nice stiff sole, I use them for trail running. But like others said, find what work best for you and your running style.

It is very wet here, well most of the year, so goretex running shoes area nice option.
http://robonza.blogspot.com/2011/03/review-north-face-hedgehog-gtx-xcr.html

-Joe