PDA

View Full Version : Chris King External BB

firerescuefin
03-23-2011, 05:10 AM
Just bought a new SRM wireless crankset that utilizes SRAMs GXP BB....of which I am not a huge fan (external BBs in general)....I never miss a chance to King-bling my bike when given the chance. I am one of the losers that are waiting for Campy splined King hubs and would buy the espresso tamper...given enough disposable funds. Anyone have any experience with these (the bottom brackets)?

oldguy00
03-23-2011, 06:02 AM
They are very nice. I'd personally buy one of these before I'd buy ceramic anything..

My buddy is using one with his SRAM red crankset. The BB came with the extra washer(s) required to make it work with SRAM (as opposed to Shimano). I -think- most of their BB's not include these.

R2D2
03-23-2011, 06:11 AM
Just bought a new SRM wireless crankset that utilizes SRAMs GXP BB....of which I am not a huge fan (external BBs in general)....I never miss a chance to King-bling my bike when given the chance. I am one of the losers that are waiting for Campy splined King hubs and would buy the espresso tamper...given enough disposable funds. Anyone have any experience with these (the bottom brackets)?

Phil is making external BBs. Not sure if they have what you need. EWIther would be top notch and I pick the one with the least cost.

Psyclism
03-23-2011, 10:29 AM
I've run King BB's for a couple of seasons now. Last year I installed a SRAM compatible version, and their solution to the stepped bearing problem posed by GXP BB's is simple and elegant. Just a wave/compression washer that goes between the spider and the drive side cup and a simple machined sleeve that slides (or press fits) on the stepped end of the crank spindle to make the spindle a consistent size (and fixed length). The bearing cups themselves are identical to that of the Shimano compatible version.

The bearings are super smooth, but they don't run with the utter lack of friction of some ceramic BBs. I, frankly, couldn't care less, but some do.

I very much recommend getting their install tool as it's a work of art on its own, and does a great job protecting the BB cups from being chewed up by a standard install tool.

firerescuefin
03-23-2011, 10:57 AM
I've run King BB's for a couple of seasons now. Last year I installed a SRAM compatible version, and their solution to the stepped bearing problem posed by GXP BB's is simple and elegant. Just a wave/compression washer that goes between the spider and the drive side cup and a simple machined sleeve that slides (or press fits) on the stepped end of the crank spindle to make the spindle a consistent size (and fixed length). The bearing cups themselves are identical to that of the Shimano compatible version.

The bearings are super smooth, but they don't run with the utter lack of friction of some ceramic BBs. I, frankly, couldn't care less, but some do.

I very much recommend getting their install tool as it's a work of art on its own, and does a great job protecting the BB cups from being chewed up by a standard install tool.

Great feedback...thanks!! :beer:

hokoman
03-23-2011, 07:12 PM
i love my king bb - you will too. on an ot note, i wish king would have made their tamper out of stainless for some weight, not the aluminum... that's just me though.

Vientomas
03-23-2011, 07:21 PM
I have a King BB on my Turner 5 Spot that gets lots of hard use and little maintenance love. No problems with over 2 years of use. I have had Race Face and Shimano BB's fail in less time. Thumbs up on the King BB.

dukeisno1
03-24-2011, 02:58 PM
Being one of the few riding an Italian bike with Italian threaded BB, I was sad to learn that Chris King doesn't have an Italian threaded BB.

Joe

oldguy00
03-24-2011, 05:26 PM
Being one of the few riding an Italian bike with Italian threaded BB, I was sad to learn that Chris King doesn't have an Italian threaded BB.

Joe

+1 :(

weiwentg
03-24-2011, 06:07 PM
not to mention they don't have a Campy BB.

Benjamin
03-25-2011, 06:49 AM
I'm going to switch to a CK BB asap.

I've been running SRAM Rival for almost one year, and my second GXP BB is almost on the way out. The first one clicked from day one. The second has developed a click and it getting this kind of muddy/lumpy feel in the bearings.

It also doesn't help that the cup material is made from the cheapest, softest alloy on earth.

Blowing $35 on another SRAM BB seems stupid at this point.

firerescuefin
03-25-2011, 07:52 AM
I'm going to switch to a CK BB asap.

I've been running SRAM Rival for almost one year, and my second GXP BB is almost on the way out. The first one clicked from day one. The second has developed a click and it getting this kind of muddy/lumpy feel in the bearings.

It also doesn't help that the cup material is made from the cheapest, softest alloy on earth.

Blowing $35 on another SRAM BB seems stupid at this point.

I had the same experience with the GXP when Truvativ first brought it to market (before they were bought by SRAM). I was not tremendously impressed with Campy's rendition, replacing the bearings after the first season. King and Phil Wood do seem to have built a better mousetrap, certainly at a higher price point, but the user serviceability (not replacement) of the Kings....as well as its 5 year warranty is appealing....not to mention its a CK :cool:

moodster
03-25-2011, 08:10 AM
i love my king bb - you will too. on an ot note, i wish king would have made their tamper out of stainless for some weight, not the aluminum... that's just me though.

Mine is Stainless...

I also like my king BB's and I like my Phil outboard bearings but if weight is your concern the Phil feels twice as heavy to me.

Squint
03-25-2011, 11:44 AM
Are the CK BBs cartridge or loose ball? I want an external BB that can be easily repacked.

Psyclism
03-25-2011, 12:09 PM
Are the CK BBs cartridge or loose ball? I want an external BB that can be easily repacked.

The CK's are cartridge, but the service tool they sell for the BB's does the dirty work for you. Insert the tool, attach a grease gun and pump. Out goes the dirty grease and in goes the good stuff. I do this twice a year on my two king BB's, and they run just as smoothly now as they did when I installed them. Both have approximately 8K miles of use.

I, too, got tired of replacing GXP bottom brackets. I went through two standard and one ceramic version over the course of two seasons. One spring rain ride totally screwed up one standard BB. Felt like it was filled with sand.

thenewguy11
03-25-2011, 04:20 PM
I had a difficult time adjusting the King BB. The instructions were pretty clear, but if I tried to torque the SRAM crank bolt to spec, it didn't spin well. I ended up taking it to a local shop and they played with it and said it was adjusted fine but there's now a mild buzz so I'm considering taking it apart again.

Anyone have some tips for adjusting the King BB with a SRAM S975 Quarq crankset?